PDA

View Full Version : what is the best pen tablet for a cheap price

walter hofmann
02-25-2014, 5:22 AM
hi all
I am thinking of getting a pen tablet to do work easier adjusting some CorelDraw x5 files and creating new drawings.
I did order the huion 580 but it did not work, the pen speed was way to high, could not adjust the start point etc.
now I was wondering if somebody know any what would work.
thanks for any opinion
greetings
waltfl

William Adams
02-25-2014, 6:11 AM
Get a Wacom.

The consumer-level line is fine to start out, but the Pro offer some nifty features and the potential for larger real-estate which can be well worth it, depending on your working/drawing style. Also consider getting at least a second stylus in a different size / shape --- there's support for switching tools that way, and you may find you prefer one to another for different usages.

You might want to consider a used tablet --- there's not much which can go wrong w/ them, since they quit using the wall-wart power supplies (which were always going bad), and often a tablet will get separated from its stylus and people sell them rather than try to source a new stylus (just make sure to get a matching / compatible stylus). It's also possible to make the older tablets work w/ newer machines, so one can get a bargain if one is willing to do some leg-work in setting up adapters or soldering or installing software such as TabletMagic.

The biggest concern is to either get a tablet whose proportions match those of your screen, or take the time to properly set up the screen mapping in the Wacom control panel (actually you should do this even if things do match --- play w/ it until you get the subtleties of the controls --- makes a big difference).

Michael Conley
02-25-2014, 7:00 AM
I have not used tablets enough to say which is the best one for a cheap price but we have the small Wacom tablet (6" x 3.7" active area) and also a Huion 8 ExpressKey tablet. The Wacom was a gift for my wife and after I tried it (and liked it), I decided to roll the dice on a cheap (<$60) tablet with a larger active area (10" x 6") for myself. You cannot go wrong with Wacom, but on a bang for the buck basis, I think that Huion easily wins.

John Coloccia
02-25-2014, 7:16 AM
Another vote for a Wacom. Hard to go wrong for an entry level tablet.

Scott Shepherd
02-25-2014, 8:14 AM
Wacom Intuos 4's are typically all over things like Craigslist. I have a medium at work and wanted a smaller one for my laptop. I think I paid $50 for it on Craigslist. I was actually looking at them again last night and noticed there were a lot of them on there.

David Somers
02-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Same here. Wacom is solid and works well. I have various models in the office and at home and no complaints about any of them.

Dave

walter hofmann
02-25-2014, 2:52 PM
thanks guys
I was leaning already to Wacom but was not sure. no I am
thanks
greetings
waltfl