PDA

View Full Version : Glue class

Eric Brown
02-25-2014, 2:07 AM
Recently George Wilson took me to task because I used epoxy gluing a guitar neck on instead of using hide glue (the traditional and repairable glue). I have no doubt that he is probably right, but I have no experience with it and used what I knew would work. This however has got me wondering about the importance of glue. Almost every project requires it. Every wood working magazine usually has a tip or two on gluing. Now here's a question: When is someone like Roy Underhill going to have a class on glue? You know, the different types, uses and how to clamp. Would anyone else be interested in a class like this and what would you like covered?

george wilson
02-25-2014, 9:45 AM
Subscribe to the Fine Woodworking videos. There,you will see my journeyman Ed Wright give an excellent lesson on how to prepare hide glue. You don't need to rely on Roy to teach you everything. Ed is a craftsman with long experience who works daily at woodworking,not making up TV shows. Really,this is the important way to become a competent wood worker. In addition to my training,he also worked in the same room as Mack Headley for years after I left the shop to be the Tool Maker.

TV shows impress people,but the craftsman who does his work daily for decades(I think Ed has been with the shop for about 30 years by now) is the person you really ought to look to. I don't mean to sound harsh,just telling the truth,and letting you know there is a good video out there. Mack Headley is featured in that series,as are Jon and I making planes. It would be good for you to subscribe to that series.