PDA

View Full Version : Blades for bandsaw

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-24-2014, 10:03 PM
I just recently picked up a good deal off CL on a like new Shop Fox W1729 19" bandsaw. I am upgrading from a Delta 14". I am in the process of ordering some new blades for the saw and was looking for some recomendations. I was consider the woodslicer blade for resawing & then a 1/4" & 1/2" timber wolf blade for general purpose work. Do you guys thing the woodslicer blade is that much better than the timber wolf resaw blade? Timberwold has a 3 blade package that come with a resaw blade (http://timberwolfblades.com/proddetail.php?prod=3BladePackCurveRippingResawing 18). Any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have experience using the Shop Fox bandsaw? Any Likes / dislikes about the saw?

Brian J Jenkins
02-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Check out Lenox bi-metal bands. Do a search and you'll find they last longer than Swedish steel in the TWs. Price is on par or a little higher. I was going to order another TW but that's where my research has led.

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-25-2014, 5:29 AM
What about the lenox Flex Back (http://www.spectrumsupply.com/flexback.aspx) blades? I have read some things that say they are as good as tember wolf & half the price. Anyone ever use them?

Guy Belleman
02-25-2014, 6:43 AM
I really like the woodslicer blades, but I am only the occasional user. If I used the BS a lot, I would probably look at the more expensive carbide tipped Lenox blades, which get good reviews from Chris Schwartz and Lonnie Bird.

John Coloccia
02-25-2014, 6:54 AM
The Woodslicer will go through whatever you throw at it like it was cutting butter. It's one of my favorite blades, actually. The only problem is that it dulls very quickly. That's why I switched to the ResawKing. Now the finish off the RK is incredible....almost like a table saw. When everything is tuned and I'm doing it right, I can use the piece right off of the saw sometimes with absolutely no cleanup. It has a larger kerf than the woodslicer. It doesn't cut as easily...you need to exert more pressure, so your technique had better be good and your fingers had better be in the right place.

If I wasn't doing a lot of work, I would have Woodslicer blades. They're not so expensive that it hurts to replace it when they're dull and you can afford to have two around for when you need to replace it. The thin kerf is great for getting a lot out of expensive chunks of wood. I have to have two ResawKings around so I can have one when the other's out being sharpened. That's EXPENSIVE. That said, I haven't had to sharpen mine yet and it's been on the saw a while.

Jeremy Killingbeck
02-25-2014, 7:09 AM
Do the wood slicers make a good general purpose blade, or just good for resawing? I want to get a good but inexpensive resaw blade and a couple of general purpose blades. Right now I am leaning toward trying the Lenox KERFmaster for resawing and the lynox flex back for general purpose. I have read that the KERFMaster is similar to the wood slicer but cheaper.

Brian J Jenkins
02-25-2014, 7:46 AM
The Lenox diemaster 2 is what I was going to buy for 3/4 and less bands.

I have an email into a vendor for a quote/recommendation.

John Coloccia
02-25-2014, 8:16 AM
Do the wood slicers make a good general purpose blade, or just good for resawing?

I don't personally think so, but that's just my opinion. When I was using them, if it was on there and I had a couple of cuts to make, I'd use it for a minute or two, but other than that I'd change it out. It dulls quickly and I really didn't like the thought of dulling one side more than the other on curves and things. That just makes resawing more difficult, and it's difficult enough as it is.

Curt Harms
02-25-2014, 9:29 AM
What about the lenox Flex Back (http://www.spectrumsupply.com/flexback.aspx) blades? I have read some things that say they are as good as tember wolf & half the price. Anyone ever use them?

Yes, and I'd say they're every bit as good as Timberwolf. It depends on who welds them up though, a poor or crooked weld can turn good blade stock into a poor blade.

Gus Dundon
02-25-2014, 2:25 PM
I have used Haltbar Flex back carbon blades and Lennox blades. I was happy with it .

Don Welch
02-25-2014, 8:03 PM
Lenox Diemaster 2 has been great on a Canadian General 15 in saw; try Spectrum Supply - fast service and good welds