PDA

View Full Version : This Weeks New Yankee Workshop.....

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 11:34 AM
This week Norm did a custom "builtin look" Library system. Great ideas in this show. The reason for my post is, I want a little circular saw like norm used in the show today. It was a smaller light weight saw, just what I want for breaking down sheet goods and using on my edge guide as Norm was using as well. Even if I buy an EZ guide later, this looks like a good choice for me. Anyone know what this saw is? I suspect that it was a PC but it sure didn't look like the PC's I have seen.
ALso how about that pocket hole jig that Norm was using. It appeared to be a Delta?? product. It's application was a little bit different though it seemed. It drilled the pockets so that the entire interior of the pocket was open and the screws were run all the way to the bottom face of the hole. Maybe it was just the way he had it set up, but for 1 1/2 face framed, it would have blowed right out.
Anyway, anyone know the make on the CS he was using?
Thanks, Ok back to plastering and stucco.
Corey

John Dingman
06-18-2005, 12:01 PM
This week Norm did a custom "builtin look" Library system. Great ideas in this show. The reason for my post is, I want a little circular saw like norm used in the show today. It was a smaller light weight saw, just what I want for breaking down sheet goods and using on my edge guide as Norm was using as well. Even if I buy an EZ guide later, this looks like a good choice for me. Anyone know what this saw is? I suspect that it was a PC but it sure didn't look like the PC's I have seen.
ALso how about that pocket hole jig that Norm was using. It appeared to be a Delta?? product. It's application was a little bit different though it seemed. It drilled the pockets so that the entire interior of the pocket was open and the screws were run all the way to the bottom face of the hole. Maybe it was just the way he had it set up, but for 1 1/2 face framed, it would have blowed right out.
Anyway, anyone know the make on the CS he was using?
Thanks, Ok back to plastering and stucco.
CoreyCorey,

Don't know about the pocket hole jig he was using as I didn't see the broadcast. But the saw was a Porter Cable 4 1/2" trim saw like this one:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Dsc00556_small1.jpg

I bought mine at Woodcraft. They are not cheap, but it's a good stout saw and it's excellent for breaking down sheet goods.

hth,
John

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 12:16 PM
That's the one John! Thanks and I intend to use it just as you say. I just looked it up on Amazon... OUCH!! That is a 200.00 saw. Why do smaller saws tend to have a higher price!! In the reviews people mention a base that is flopsy and not lined up properly ( in 2 of the reviews, 2 were great) and made it impossible to use against a straight edge. Have you had any problems with this or had to made adjustments?
Thanks,
Corey
P.S. without going cordless are there any other light duty trim saws like this around? 200. would definitely be the tops on price for me.

scott spencer
06-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Corey - I suspect the higher price is due to lower production quantities which forces the cost per unit up. It seems to me that our Sam's Club had those a year or so ago....you might check it out if you have a Sam's in your area. Even if you're not a member, they'll usually let you browse.

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks Scott, Sams Club?? Would never of thought to shop there for tools. I always pass on my wifes offer to go to Sams :) Maybe I have been to hasty in my decision.

Corey

scott spencer
06-18-2005, 1:01 PM
The problem with Sam's tool lineup is that they don't stock the same items continually...they come, they go, they're gone....sometimes they come back, sometimes not. If nothing else, they have a pretty good size dish of frozen custard for $1.10. :D

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 1:08 PM
Yeah, it is probably the equivalent of a 5 Gallon Dish!! I just shake my head when my wife brings home that 3 gallon bottle of Ketchup and Mustard that requires a hydraulic pump and a 2 wheeler cart to bring it in the house...... oh yeah... it was only 4.99 while supplies last!! Thanks again for the info, will have to add that to the list of occasional drive bys!

Corey

John Dingman
06-18-2005, 1:32 PM
That's the one John! Thanks and I intend to use it just as you say. I just looked it up on Amazon... OUCH!! That is a 200.00 saw. Why do smaller saws tend to have a higher price!! In the reviews people mention a base that is flopsy and not lined up properly ( in 2 of the reviews, 2 were great) and made it impossible to use against a straight edge. Have you had any problems with this or had to made adjustments?
Thanks,
Corey
P.S. without going cordless are there any other light duty trim saws like this around? 200. would definitely be the tops on price for me.Corey,

I have had NO PROBLEMS using it with the clamp on straight edge like Norm uses. I got those from Woodcraft also. I find no "flopsy base" at all. On the contrary, it's a very well built saw. I paid a little over $200.00 for mine 2 years ago. I don't know of anything else that would compare to this saw after having used it for 2 years on everything from ply, paneling, 2x4's, etc... It's a great little saw and I would not want to be without one in the shop.

Best Wishes,
John

John Dingman
06-18-2005, 1:41 PM
Hey Corey,

Check your pm's.

John

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 1:48 PM
Thanks John for the links. I hope for this to be a future gloat!!

Corey

John Foote
06-18-2005, 1:57 PM
Even if I buy an EZ guide later, this looks like a good choice for me.
Corey

Actually, it's probably not a good fit with the EZSmart, because you lose almost an inch of cut capacity between the saw base and the guide rail. I'd definitely stick with a 7.25" saw. Also, if you intend a saw for the EZSmart, get a braked version (like Dino clearly recommends), to avoid chipping the plastic edges by pulling it up too soon. Don't ask me how I know this...:eek:

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 2:32 PM
Thanks John, that is probably true, never thought about that. Given that, I am quite happy with using my straight edge guides that I have. I get very good results with them. I will probably just stick with those then.

Corey

Steve Clardy
06-18-2005, 2:52 PM
THese are nice saws. MInes about 4 years old.

Jim Becker
06-18-2005, 3:51 PM
Norm has been using that small PC trim saw for years. It's a really nice product...I came close to buying one not long ago, but opted to invest in some other tools instead with that chunk of cash.

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 5:37 PM
Thanks Jim, I had seen Norm using a small CS before but didn't pay that much attention. I probably wrote it off as a cordless tool.

Corey

Harry Goodwin
06-18-2005, 6:04 PM
Corey: I have the centenial whatever model of the saw and agree with everyone else it's a great saw. Mine has a bright aluminum polished body.I bought a Saw Boss PC from sams and enjoy it for small rougher work like 2X4's. Like already said Sam's change their stuff often. The small centenial came from Granger but the Boss from Sam's. Harry

Corey Hallagan
06-18-2005, 6:40 PM
Thanks Harry. That must be a sweet looking saw, mirror finish and all! I use a Craftsman Sawmill for my normal rough work and I also have an 18V Ryobi cordless and despite the name, it works great with a 100 tooth blade on up to 1/4 sheet goods. The PC will be primarily for those 3/4 sheets of plywood, mdf, particleboard and other such items. It will be expensive but worth it I think.
Corey

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-19-2005, 12:24 AM
We used a very cheap Ryobii circ saw at the mesquite outfit to square up tabletops, and with a decent (Freud) blade, it cut much (much!) 6/4 mesquite. I bought a cheap Makita a year or so ago, and it does a perfectly good job breaking things down.

KC

aurelio alarcon
06-19-2005, 12:47 AM
I have the Skil HD 5510 5 1/2 inch trim saw. It is excellent! I like the way that I don't have to look over the saw because the blade is on the left side. Amazon sells it reconditioned for about 80 bucks. Craftsman sells the same one under the Craftsman label. It works great for cutting sheet goods. I have had no problems with this saw what so ever.