PDA

View Full Version : One more sharpening stone question

Daniel Rode
02-24-2014, 5:06 PM
I ordered a shapton pro 15k last night for a finishing stone. For most sharpening, I plan to use 2 stones. One around 1000 and the 15k. I have a X-Fine DMT duosharp (1200). It ought to do the trick. However, I'm considering replacing it with an X-fine diasharp plate. But for about the same cost, I can get a shapton pro 1000 stone.

Will I get a better, faster, or more consistent edge using the 2 Shapton stones? Does it really make any difference?

Andrew Pitonyak
02-24-2014, 5:37 PM
I take exception to the title "one more...". There is never just one more! :D

I own some diamond stones and some water stones. I find that the diamond stones leave a few deep scratches rather than a nicer looking edge. Perhaps I have simply never worn them in sufficiently. If you make it into Columbus Ohio, let me know and you can try things out.

I usually place a hollow grind on the blade using my Tormek wet grinder, and then I can use my water stones to polish them up. I don't even remember what grit they are... I think I have a 1000, 5000, and 16000. I can touch them up very quickly after they have a hollow grind.

Daniel Rode
02-24-2014, 7:49 PM
Thanks Andrew. I was in Columbus over the weekend but I'm not sure the next time I'll be in the area.

As I understand it, even after being broken in, the scratches are still deeper than a waterstone. That's what got me thinking about the 1k waterstone. If there's no real difference, I'll stick with the diamond.

Clay Fails
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I take exception to the title "one more...". There is never just one more! :D

I own some diamond stones and some water stones. I find that the diamond stones leave a few deep scratches rather than a nicer looking edge. Perhaps I have simply never worn them in sufficiently. If you make it into Columbus Ohio, let me know and you can try things out.

I usually place a hollow grind on the blade using my Tormek wet grinder, and then I can use my water stones to polish them up. I don't even remember what grit they are... I think I have a 1000, 5000, and 16000. I can touch them up very quickly after they have a hollow grind.

I'm in Andrew's camp. Hollow grind with Tormek, hone/polish with waterstones.

David Weaver
02-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks Andrew. I was in Columbus over the weekend but I'm not sure the next time I'll be in the area.

As I understand it, even after being broken in, the scratches are still deeper than a waterstone. That's what got me thinking about the 1k waterstone. If there's no real difference, I'll stick with the diamond.

I personally would rather use a fresh shapton pro 1000 (fresh meaning the surface is clean with fresh abrasive exposed). The diamond hone may be flat, and it may not. If it's not when you get it, it won't be ever. The shapton can be made flat over and over.

The one place that a diamond hone will outrun a shapton pro in terms of speed for the same level of fineness is if and when you put some sort of wondersteel on it, like m2 hss or m4 especially. Diamond thinks nothing at all of the super abrasion resistant PM steels. I don't think there's a great reason to use any of them for woodworking, though. The only inexpensive place you'll run into HSS planes is mujingfang (the taiwanese, and other style planes that japan woodworker and LV sell).

Both shaptons and diamonds cut narrow grooves, but I think diamonds cut narrower. The issue with that is that after a 1000 grit diamond hone, there is some fracturing in the metal (obviously I haven't seen this) in at least some irons and chisels. Whether or not it makes a big difference in edge life, I don't know. If you do a good job with the finishing stone, some of that is probably mitigated. If the diamonds do it, it may be that all sharp and agressive abrasives do, no clue.

You'll get along fine with either method for normal day to day sharpening (even if you get a diamond hone and it's nto perfectly flat, the only issue will be flattening the backs of new tools).

Andrew Pitonyak
02-25-2014, 3:51 PM

If you want to try the Tormek (or what ever else I have), just let me know when you are coming back through.... and bring a few things to sharpen...