PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax FS35 Shelix Conversion and ???

Rich Riddle
02-24-2014, 2:45 PM
I converted the old Minimax FS35 to a Shelix cutter last week. This weekend when using it the cutter head worked flawlessly. There was one strange situation. With the straight knives, the discharge from the Minimax in jointer mode exits on the outfeed side of the tool. With the Shelx head, the discharged waste exits the infeed side of the tool. The problem involves the factory dust extraction port being on the opposite side. Any suggestions?

Michael Mahan
02-24-2014, 2:56 PM
you put the head in backwards ?

Rich Riddle
02-24-2014, 3:03 PM
you put the head in backwards ?
Thanks for the laugh. It's not a symmetric head and impossible to install backwards. That said, if it could happen, I would do it. The chips in the planer mode come out the same side. Minimax built the dust extraction hood to face one way when it's in jointer mode and the opposite way in planer. Now they all come out on the same side. Go figure.

Paul Incognito
02-24-2014, 3:57 PM
Is it possible that because of the shearing cut it's throwing the chips to the side? Is it clogging things up?
Maybe check with Byrd and see if they've heard of anyone experiencing this with a similar machine.
Maybe this helps? Probably not...
PI

Michael Mahan
02-24-2014, 4:13 PM
Thanks for the laugh. It's not a symmetric head and impossible to install backwards. That said, if it could happen, I would do it. The chips in the planer mode come out the same side. Minimax built the dust extraction hood to face one way when it's in jointer mode and the opposite way in planer. Now they all come out on the same side. Go figure.

I'm glad you took that as tonge-in-cheek that was my intent ! L O L

Bill Orbine
02-24-2014, 9:47 PM
Didn't you post earlier something about a modified chip collector previously made on the machine, which is now yours? Perhaps there is some shroud missing or maybe your dust collector CFM rating isn't high enough. The way the Byrd head cuts, the shavings ought to be light enough to be pulled to the outfeed side.

Erik Loza
02-25-2014, 7:33 AM
Rich, what's your DC setup consist of? Also, is the factory plastic snorkel intact or is this something else? IME, J/P's (regardless of brand) can be very sensitive to inadequate extraction volume. My guess would be that the spiral aspect of that head is funneling the chips all to one side and then if the extraction volume is not what the machine wants, they are kicking out there instead of continuing through to the snorkel but that is just my guess.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

William C Rogers
02-25-2014, 8:55 AM
Rich

i had posted the different dust collection on the FS35. I have the regular knives and my dust collection in jointer mode is on the I feed side. I compared the factory port to how mine is set up and it is very much better with my set up. I have learned to also set the planer table at the bottom of the HVAC port. Chips that fall on the planer table are sucked up that way.
Not sure how to do links. Was posted Jan 06,2013. I can take more pictures if you want. Or am I missing the point?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196812-MiniMax-FS35-jointer-chip-collection