PDA

View Full Version : 6" PVC D2729 Fitting Source

Paul Stoops
02-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I was picking up a 4" PVC D2729 (Thin wall DVW) wye this morning at my local Lowes store and I noticed that they are now carrying 6" D2729 fittings again. The prices seemed about par -- i.e.~$23 for a 6" wye.

Paul

Drew Pavlak
02-25-2014, 8:26 AM
Might want to check Menards if there is one in your area. Below is what they sell the ASTM 2729 Pipe and fittings for. It was by far the cheapest I could find.

6"x10' pipe - SKU 6899780 - $14.00
6"x6"x6" Wye - SKU 6890447 - $16.99
6" coupler - SKU 6890418 - $5.22
6" 45 deg elbow - SKU 6890405 - $7.90

Drew

marty shultz
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
the same pipe in AZ is 34 bucks

Drew Pavlak
03-12-2014, 8:54 AM
I wonder if that is because you don't have a Menards in AZ. At least I couldn't find a store that far south and west. I thought they were a National Chain, but they may only be in the Upper east coast and mid west. Have any relatives up this way? Right now it is on sale for $12.99. Just a thought. Sale ends 3/15/2014 though.

Rick Moyer
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
I wonder if that is because you don't have a Menards in AZ. At least I couldn't find a store that far south and west. I thought they were a National Chain, but they may only be in the Upper east coast and mid west. Have any relatives up this way? Right now it is on sale for $12.99. Just a thought. Sale ends 3/15/2014 though.
Menards is only in the greater Midwest area.

Alan Schaffter
03-12-2014, 5:24 PM
Unless your AZ pipe dealer wears a mask and carries a gun, the $34 price is probably not for 6" S&D (ASTM 2729), but more likely for the thicker walled SDR35 or Sched 40.

My Lowes has carried 6" S&D fittings for the last ten years or more, just not 6" S&D pipe (ASTM 2729)- go figure. They carry the 6" thicker-walled and heavier SDR35 (ASTM 3034) which is usually green/blue green.

S&D (ASTM 2729) and SDR35 (ASTM3034) have the same OD and use the same fittings which may have multiple markings (ASTM 3034, 3035, 2729). These fittings will not fit Sched 40 so are not found in the plumbing section, but in the irrigation and drainage section along with plastic NDS stuff and black corrugated ABS drainage pipe.

Drew Pavlak
03-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Looks like Menards does require you to order a minimum QTY of 33 or 39. What really sucks is that the only other place I can find it wants $21 a stick for it and it is about a 3 hour round trip for me to go get it. Anyone if SW Michigan need any? I am thinking of ordering a skid, using what I will need and then trying to off load the rest. Thought I would post here to see if anyone local is interested first. Not really sure what I would do with all the extra. I will need somewhere around 21 pieces. So that will leave between 12 to 18 pieces left over. Either way it is going to be the same cost to me roughly. This way maybe I can help someone else out.

Thanks,

Alan Schaffter
03-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Looks like Menards does require you to order a minimum QTY of 33 or 39. What really sucks is that the only other place I can find it wants $21 a stick for it and it is about a 3 hour round trip for me to go get it. Anyone if SW Michigan need any? I am thinking of ordering a skid, using what I will need and then trying to off load the rest. Thought I would post here to see if anyone local is interested first. Not really sure what I would do with all the extra. I will need somewhere around 21 pieces. So that will leave between 12 to 18 pieces left over. Either way it is going to be the same cost to me roughly. This way maybe I can help someone else out.

Thanks,

Try John Deere Landscapes- they used to sell 6" thin-walled S&D (ASTM 2729) pipe (they may call it thin wall pvc, gravity drain, solid perf, etc.) Make sure you tell them you are "in the business" so they don't try to rip you off by charging their exorbitant Harry Homeowner price. Their website says (https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/home/locations.aspx) there are a number of MI locations, one in Kalamazoo.

Drew Pavlak
03-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Just called they don't carry it and didn't want to order it for me. Businesses these days kill me. No wonder so many go out of business when it is too much of a hassle to service their customers.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
I can't see anyone wanting to bother with a small order for Harry Homeowner if they don't stock it. I'm sure they'd have to order a full skid of it--what are they going to do with the rest? I've always gotten it at Carter Lumber in Monroe or Toledo.

Drew Pavlak
03-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Has anyone seen any of this stuff http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-6-in-Solid-Smoothwall-Pipe-06560010/203298775?quantity=22&str_nbr=2728

Curious what the black stuff inside is? Would it still be smooth enough for dust collection? It looks like I can order what I need from Home Depot with no minimum QTY and free shipping to store. At $14.08 for 10' might work. I know the OD is 6.275", but can't find ID or wall thickness.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Lowes stocks that here in 4". Looks like a cheap replacement for PVC but I didn't look at it closely.

James Tibbetts
03-18-2014, 1:37 PM
It says it's polyethelene, looks like ABS on the inside. I think black stuff is the color of the plastic pipe on the inside.

Alan Schaffter
03-18-2014, 2:24 PM
Has anyone seen any of this stuff http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-6-in-Solid-Smoothwall-Pipe-06560010/203298775?quantity=22&str_nbr=2728

Curious what the black stuff inside is? Would it still be smooth enough for dust collection? It looks like I can order what I need from Home Depot with no minimum QTY and free shipping to store. At $14.08 for 10' might work. I know the OD is 6.275", but can't find ID or wall thickness.

Note, this stuff is made from PE (polyethylene), not PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and is therefor not nearly as rigid and crush-proof. The pipe has to be special ordered and can arrive at HD having been partially flattened into an oval, which resulted in couple of bad reviews. It should be just fine for use as DC piping if you can get a batch that hasn't been damaged or flattened. Also, while it shouldn't be a concern because you should never glue DC pipe together anyway in case you need to reconfigure your ducting someday, I doubt PVC or any plastic solvent glue works with this stuff.

The listing reminded me, some S&D (2729, 3034, 3035) fittings at Lowes are made by NDS from lighter duty styrene plastic and not PVC- again not a problem using it in a DC duct system.

Drew Pavlak
03-18-2014, 2:32 PM
The pipe being deformed could present a problem. The reviews weren't great. About the only good one was a guy using it to keep squirrels off his bird feeders. :D I will probably order a skid of the ASTM 2729 from Menards and then try to resell what I don't use. Hopefully I won't get stuck with a bunch left over.

Jim Neeley
03-18-2014, 3:18 PM
2729 in Anchorage, $52 for 10ft of $8.50/ft for cut lengths. Kwitcherbichin! :-)

Jeff Qualmann
03-18-2014, 5:06 PM
I've been able to buy S&D 4 and 6" 2729 from Carter Lumber here in the Grand Rapids, Mi area a stick at a time, so you might see if you can find one close by you on the East side of the state. Menards has been my best bet though for fittings.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2014, 7:20 PM
Try your local irrigation warehouse. That is where I get my S&D pipe although I ordered the fittings from McMaster-Carr.

Jeff Caulk
03-25-2014, 5:09 PM

That's HDPE pipe - regular solvent won't dissolve/glue it.
It's cheap and light. I don't know what glue you're supposed to use with it.
They don't have anything at the homecenter next to the pipe that works.

Solvent won't melt it and silicone won't stick to it.

Drew Pavlak
03-26-2014, 9:59 AM
Not too worried about gluing it. I will just screw it together and tape the seams if I have to. I am a little concerned with the reviews though. Misshapen bell ends, oblong pipe, might be more hassle than it is worth. I have called every place in the surrounding area that I can think of. Contacted Manufacturers for suppliers and either get no response back, or they don't want to bother with Joe Homeowner.

John Sanford
03-26-2014, 9:52 PM
You may want to look at your local Intermountain Farmers, or whatever the equivalent would be in your area. Farm & ranch supply.

Drew Pavlak
03-27-2014, 8:18 AM
Tried the farm suppliers too, every plumbing supplier within 100 miles of me, landscaping suppliers, you name it. I even contacted Charlotte Pipe, JM Eagle, and North American Pipe, hoping to find a retailer that could sell me some. Got no where with that as well. I will probably just order it from Menards and then try to off load what I don't need.

R A Mort and supply sells it for $21.90 a 10' piece. They way I am planning on setting it up I am going to need close to 22 pieces. $482 roughly. I can buy a whole skid from Menards for $411 to $486. Depends on if I have to order 33 or 39 pieces. Still haven't gotten a clear answer on that. Either way I will have enough to do what I want to do and then if I can sell some off, I will come out cheaper than the $482 I would spend at R A Mort and Supply. More hassle for me, but hopefully it will be cheaper.

I know some guys have run the snap-lock duct, is 24ga the minimum you should go on this? I think when I checked into this, it was even more than the PVC. But thought I would check a couple of places here and see what they had to say. I know spiral duct is out. Already checked that and way too much money. At least double, just for the pipe, never even bothered adding up what the fittings were going to cost. Definite sticker shock!

Matt Schenk
03-27-2014, 9:37 AM
Not too worried about gluing it. I will just screw it together and tape the seams if I have to. I am a little concerned with the reviews though. Misshapen bell ends, oblong pipe, might be more hassle than it is worth.

I have no experience with this pipe, but wonder if you could coax it into a fitting with a heat gun?

I'd love to go together with the Menards 2729, but alas, live too far away. Good luck on your duct quest and keep us posted!

Jeff Qualmann
03-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Looks like the closest Carter Lumber to you would be in Kalamazoo... still a couple hour drive, but they should have it. When I bought some from the GR branch a few years ago, the stick price was pretty reasonable. Though I'd give them a call first to confirm.

Carter Lumber - Kzoo
Address: 6216 Gull Rd, Kalamazoo Township, MI 49048
Phone:(269) 345-4414

Drew Pavlak
03-27-2014, 1:05 PM
They are only about 20 minutes from me actually, and I already called. Exact words were "We don't stock it and its not something we want to mess with." Grand Rapids store took my name and number a week ago, never called me back and I called back to see where he was in locating it and said he would get back to me. That was Tuesday. Not much hope for Carter Lumber unfortunately.

Drew Pavlak
03-28-2014, 9:02 AM
I finally found someone to deal with. Company in Kalamazoo (yes it's a real place :)) called Underground Pipe and Valve. I stopped into Home Depot last night to look at some of the PE pipe and I can say that I don't think I would use it. I noticed they had 4" ASTM 2729 sitting on the shelf, so I talked to Contractor supply to see if they could get 6", unfortunately they couldn't. But he did refer me to Underground Pipe and Valve. Just got off the phone with Jim who I must say understands the value of customer service. He for starters knew what I was talking about (ASTM 2729), Within minutes had me a price on the pipe and took my name and number and said he would get back to me on the fittings. Needless to say I found a supplier!!!!!!!!!! :D

No minimum QTY to order, and he has better pricing on the fittings than Menards. Pipe was a little more, but way less than R A Mort and I don't have to drive 4 hours round trip to go get it.

Looks like they deal in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. So if you are looking for this stuff might want to give them a try. http://www.upvinc.com/

Now I don't have to order a whole skid of this stuff and try to get rid of the excess. :D

Pricing he gave me is below.
6" x 10' pipe - $16.00
6" x 6" x 6" wye - $15.25
6" coupler - $5.06
6" 45 deg. elbow - $7.75

Stuart Welsh
04-04-2014, 7:10 AM
The pipe is described as being smooth walled. Click on the Specifications tab and you'll find that the inside diameter is 6". With a 6.275 OD you can surmise the wall thickness is .1375.

Chris Padilla
04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Those are very good to reasonable prices on the pipe and fittings, Drew! Good job on pounding the pavement to find what you want. I used two 45* elbows to create a long-radius 90*. Does your pipe have a bell-end on it? It is basically a built-in coupler but better and more of a smoother transition than a coupler. Be careful to properly support the elbow of the wye as they can't take much stress over time. I've had one or two crack on me that I thought didn't need support. You'll want some 6" metal as well to make transitions to blast gates and flex.

Drew Pavlak
04-04-2014, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the input Chris. Just got my room roughed out and dry walled. Now I can get it all put together and maybe see how she runs. :D Excited to say the least. I want to get it all hung so I can at least see if there is a problem before it gets too late. I don't expect any, but you never know. Jim from Underground Pipe and Valve was great to to deal with, I am glad I kept at it until I found a supplier. The stuff from Home Depot (PE stuff) I don't thing I would use unless there was no other choice. It looked pretty cheap and the bells on the one end would never seal properly.

Got my supports all planned already, so hopefully there won't be any cracking. The metal and flex hose will have to wait for a little while, need to get all the dry wall finished first, still have a long way to go on that. Just not as young as I used to be. Hopefully this weekend will be productive.