PDA

View Full Version : Old cast iron Dewalt RAS model MBF - needs key

ShawnE Curry
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM

This was my grandfather's saw, given to him for Christmas from my grandmother in 1958. I even have the companion book, "Easy Ways to Expert Woodworking", dedicated to "A deserving husband - Christmas 1958". I have all the parts, including the original auxiliary sanding attachment. The saw was in storage for a couple years in my parent's barn. Now that I finally have a workshop to put it in, I brought it home. It's in great shape, and after soaking a couple days in WD40, everything is moving smoothly, and the motor runs nearly silently (rear bearing whines a bit when the motor is shut off).

I even had the key until very recently. It likely fell onto my shop floor and got covered in sawdust and thrown away. I rewired it to a light switch in order to test out the motor, and I also ordered an equipment start/stop switch to hook it to more permanently, assuming I can't get another key.

Anybody know where I can get a new key?

david brum
02-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Wow. That's a beauty. You don't see those saws very often with the original table and even the original base. Nice!

eugene thomas
02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Would talk to lock smith.

Rick Potter
02-24-2014, 1:34 PM
Yup,
remove the switch and take it to any locksmith. Reinstall, and then you will find the original, too.

Rick Potter

PS: A definite family heirloom. I still regret giving away my dad's 1946 table saw years ago.

John Lanciani
02-24-2014, 2:56 PM
Hi Shawn,

I just had the same exact dilemma a few weeks ago with the twin brother to your saw. I posted a "Wanted to Buy" ad on the old woodworking machines forum and within a half hour a member there had responded and we struck a deal ($12) The key is very simple but I'm not sure if a locksmith would be able to come up with a blank that would work. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you pics of the original key that I bought if you'd like.

ShawnE Curry
02-27-2014, 9:38 AM
Turns out there was a spare key for it; my dad found it in the snow outside the barn. Must have been in the cabinet and fell out when I was loading it in the truck. So I can leave the old key switch in place and use it as a lockout and route the original power cord to the equipment switch.

Dennis Hawkins
02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
If you need the key to the power switch then McMaster Carr has what you need. About $3.00 each.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-key-pilot-switches/=qvk7rl

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5049T1

HANK METZ
02-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Very rare tool, especially as an heirloom piece. Right away, brad nail a new sacrificial top right onto the original maple using 1/4" Luan or Hardboard, this will preserve it too. Also, here's a link on how to replace that noisy bearing, and you might as well replace the start capacitor while you're at it too. On the page top are links to a restoration of an MBF which you should find most instructive. I envy your acquisition, good luck.

http://people.delphiforums.com/perristalsis/MBF_Motor_Bearings/MBF_Motor_Rebuild.html

Myk Rian
02-27-2014, 5:02 PM
Take the key switch out, and replace it with a 20 amp toggle switch.
Heck of a lot easier turning it off in an emergency.

ShawnE Curry
02-27-2014, 11:01 PM

Found it! Apparently there was a spare, my dad found it in the snow outside the barn. Must have fallen out of the cabinet when I was loading it in the truck. So I'm going to leave that original key switch in place so I don't need to rewire it. I will still use the green/red start/stop switch I bought as well - I can simply butcher the end of the power cord, and another extension cord, to hook up that switch. Then I can just leave the key in the "on" position and control it with the button, and still use the original key switch as a lockout.

Regarding the bearings, I took the advice of folks here and over at OWWM and decided to replace them. Just got those out tonight - just waiting on the new ones now.

ShawnE Curry
02-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, built a Mr Sawdust table for it too - but it's not set up yet. The original maple top was bowing about 1/8" towards the front. I'll post some pics when I'm finished.

Mike OMelia
02-27-2014, 11:50 PM
That is such an awesome machine and a great piece of your family history. Keep us posted as u restore it.