PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
02-24-2014, 8:48 AM
24 Feb 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
I've been spending some time in the shop getting things organized and cleaned up as well as taking the time to turn a few things on the lathe that I've been needing to get done. I do have some more cutting boards that I need to get done, but that will have to come after this week as I go oncall for the day job today.

I switched from an IOS phone to an Android and I'm really liking it. I went from an iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S4. Really like the screen on this phone, the speed, and I like the Android O/S on the phone. To me, a nice step up.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Michael Mayo
02-24-2014, 9:16 AM
I posted this in the project forum. I attempted to make my my first ever mallet. You can read about it and see some pics here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?214474-My-attempt-at-making-a-mallet

David Hostetler
02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Been a productive weekend for me. I did rust removal on my jointer bed that was caused by my wife mistaking it for a shelf and putting potting soil on it...

I also managed to figure out the why my miter saw cabinet wasn't square, and fixed the issue. It was a conbination of problems...
#1. Glue joints sucked the glue dry, starved joint for glue. Re-separated the joints, used liberal amounts of glue, clamped / screwed back up.
#2. Lack of square blocks in the rear of the cab to force it into square. Used 3/4" ply scrap and cut glue / square blocks, again used copious amounts of glue, and screws to set these in place. They aren't going anywhere...
#3. Discovered the side panels were bowing out, throwing things out of square. I cut and installed with the help of my pipe clamps, a 2" wide cross brace just below the bottom drawer opening. This was attached again, with glue and screws. This shouldn't be going anywhere any time soon...
#4. Fixed my measurement faux pas on my miter saw dust hood, and installed the hood. The entire travel of the saw, including the dust collection hose is clear of the hood, yet the hood remains as tight as possible to the saw, thus minimizing the air volume needed to be collected from. I need to add the ducting, but will get there soon!

Sadly, I have to make several 90 degree bends to get out of the cabinet, up across the ceiling and to the collector, so I will be doing that, as soon as I get my truck fixed. I need a joint of 4" S&D pipe, and 7 45 degree elbows. It's not ideal, but considering it is the only machine on that wall, and I really don't have anywhere else to put it, I just have to make do...

Lastly, after the miter / mortiser bench work was done. I reinstalled the miter saw and mortiser, and got the mortiser accessories put back in their slots in the tray built onto the side of the cabinet...

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Not any woodworking, all I did was man the vintage motorcycle booth at the bike show, and watch olympic hockey..........Rod.

Matt Meiser
02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
No woodworking here either. I did spend about an hour out in the shop Friday night putting things back where they belong after a small flood Thursday caused by heavy rains, snowmelt, and snow piles that melted into ice dams. I made a mess of the driveway, walk, and yard getting the water to drain away but fixing that will have to wait for spring. Rest of Friday evening and basically all of Saturday was basketball. Our girls were co-champions in the regular season but lost the post-season championship game to to their rivals. Still a lot to be proud of as they were tied with each other for wins pre, regular, and post season. There was a party for her team and the families after and the girls schemed up an impromptu sleepover at one lucky set of parents house. Sunday got a few things done around the house, dinner with my parents and a meeting at school.

Rod Sheridan
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Matt congratulations on your girls basketball games...............Rod.