PDA

View Full Version : So, what lengths will you go to, to save a few bucks?

Kev Williams
02-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Last week the X-axis home-position microswitch gave out on one of my 3400's. My rep brought me a new one Friday afternoon. $30 for the dinky little thing. I swapped in the new one yesterday (Saturday). And busted it today...seems I didn't have one of the wires connected, oooops...

Now, normally what happens is the allen bolt that hits the switch arm bends the switch arm, which can be straightened easy enough. And I've bent a lot of 'em.

But not today. Instead, rather than bending the arm, I find the arm laying on the tray under the switch. Now, I've always thought the arms were folded over the axle, but it turns out they're spot-welded to the axle. But I figure it might work folded over the axle, so I make a nice tight bend with a couple pairs of needle nose pliers. But it won't quite fit. Need to shave a bit off the folded edges, which I do with my 1" belt sander. Almost a perfect fit, if I can just squeeze it past this tight spot....

Nope. One of the axle tabs busted off. Now it's really useless. But I really don't want to spend another $30 for another switch already...

I removed the good switch arm from the bad switch, then found a scrap of trophy aluminum, and "built" a new side for the switch. Bend the new axle tab into shape with the needle nose, shaped the rest of it with the 1" belt sander. Found the smallest drill bit I could find to drill the new axle hole. Once I got it shaped and bent so it actually worked, I super-glued it to the side, let it set an hour, then drilled the mounting holes into the aluminum, and did some final bending...

It ain't perfect--- but it's back on the machine and it works fine! Now, if it was just a $7 switch I probably would've just bought another one. But $30, that's worth doing a little tinkering for! :)

So, what have you done to save a buck??

John Coloccia
02-24-2014, 12:00 AM
The neutral safety switch went intermittent on my Ford Bronco II. This was back in 1997...just got out of grad school, pretty much broke and every penny I made went towards living expenses. Couldn't even afford a bullet proof vest, and trust me...I needed one where I lived. Anyhow, for several years until I traded it in (more or less, gave it away is more like it), to start the vehicle I had to put the key in the "On" position, pop the hood, and short out the starter contactor with a wrench. I eventually upgraded to pliers. This was about 50% of the time at first, and maybe 90% of the time towards the end.

But I was a stubborn son of a gun and that's how it was for a couple of years.

Jay Jolliffe
02-24-2014, 7:46 AM
You have to do what you have to ....

Mike Lassiter
02-24-2014, 8:49 AM
Kev, you should do some looking around on Grainger or MSC website for micro switches. Switches similar to what you pictured are fairly common with various types of levers on them. Mack Trucks have them on a/c controls to activate a/c compressor, another variation on clutch pedal to disengage engine brake or cruise control. Industrial machines use them often just like the laser for limit switches. You likely can source a replacement much cheaper than getting one from laser dealer.

Andrew Joiner
02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Kev, I rebuilt a belt sander switch 3 years ago. Your photos reminded me of how I felt at the time. I was in the mood to tinker, so I never even checked the price or availability on the switch. I was only 50% sure my repair would even work.

I'm like you in that I thought "who would do this?'' as I worked away on a part I could barley see.

I love that sander so I used thicker copper than the original hoping to make it last. It felt really satisfying when I was done.

It's been 3 years, but I still grin when I press that switch.

Joe Kieve
02-25-2014, 1:25 PM
The headlight dimmer switch (on the steering column) went out on my Toyota truck years ago. Naturally you can't buy just that part; gotta buy the entire wiring harness, about $85 at the time. I figured out which wires to use and put a $2 dimmer switch on the floor like the old cars used to have. Drove that truck for 21 years and it was still working when I sold it.

Joe Tilson
02-27-2014, 9:42 AM
Kev, My wife and I try to cut cost on everything from food to removing hinges and latches from old closet lover doors, and switches from discarded household appliances. I found and old lawn mower next to a dumpster and used the motor shaft out of it after breaking the new one on an unseen root. We are trying to ready ourselves for life in social security and savings. We buy certain foods from a close to out of date store. We get 100% whole wheat bread for $1.15 a loaf and canned goods for $.50 a can. Did a study on food dating and found canned goods are really good for up to 5 years. They may loose a little flavor or color but they are good to eat. Just be careful of dented or swollen cans. We waste to much food in this country, but that's how the poor get their food.

David Weaver
02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I get stingy on things that I don't want to spend money on, but admittedly sometimes spend very freely on things that I like. The last week I was in college jr year (1999), I had 20 bucks left to my name and a ford ranger pickup. I had run my meal card out at school and needed to eat that week to take finals and have enough left over to buy gas and get home (gas was a whole lot cheaper in 1999).

I got through the week on food and had a little less than 10 bucks left and had enough to get my truck 130 miles home without a problem. I had a credit card at the time, but the thought of having a card that had a balance on it that I didn't have money in the bank to pay off really irritated me, even if it was a few bucks.

I've patched various things together around the house over the years since then, but haven't had the same level of thrift. My parents, who retired at age 53 and who are still net savers in retirement, have not eaten anything with me at any fast food restaurant that wasn't on the dollar menu for at least 10 years. It's in their blood.

Glenn - your comment about the food reminds me of a guy who I saw interviewed who was living "off grid" on public land in the desert. He said he goes from place to place so that he doesn't wear out his welcome and has no real money to speak of and no job. He stays out in remote areas and goes to town only to get food (not panhandle to buy it or anything). The interviewer asked him how he got food and he said "food is never a problem, you can find it free anywhere".

Phil Thien
02-27-2014, 1:36 PM
Kev, you should do some looking around on Grainger or MSC website for micro switches. Switches similar to what you pictured are fairly common with various types of levers on them. Mack Trucks have them on a/c controls to activate a/c compressor, another variation on clutch pedal to disengage engine brake or cruise control. Industrial machines use them often just like the laser for limit switches. You likely can source a replacement much cheaper than getting one from laser dealer.

Also check Digikey and Mouser.

Joe Tilson
02-28-2014, 9:54 AM
Dave,
I guess I'm a hermit at heart. Went to counseling some years back and the guy told me I was an introvert with a big mouth, plus I married a verrrrry tight (with money) woman. She rubbed off.

steven taggart
03-14-2014, 4:56 PM
The neutral safety switch went intermittent on my Ford Bronco II. This was back in 1997...just got out of grad school, pretty much broke and every penny I made went towards living expenses. Couldn't even afford a bullet proof vest, and trust me...I needed one where I lived. Anyhow, for several years until I traded it in (more or less, gave it away is more like it), to start the vehicle I had to put the key in the "On" position, pop the hood, and short out the starter contactor with a wrench. I eventually upgraded to pliers. This was about 50% of the time at first, and maybe 90% of the time towards the end.

This made me laugh. I have a ford Bronco with the exact same problem. Some wire connected to the terminals on the solenoid, and routed to a starter button switch in the cab saves me from opening the hood every time i start it.

Myk Rian
03-15-2014, 1:02 PM
Glenn - your comment about the food reminds me of a guy who I saw interviewed who was living "off grid" on public land in the desert. He said he goes from place to place so that he doesn't wear out his welcome and has no real money to speak of and no job. He stays out in remote areas and goes to town only to get food (not panhandle to buy it or anything). The interviewer asked him how he got food and he said "food is never a problem, you can find it free anywhere".
Sounds like my BIL living in his trailer, somewhere in NM by the Mexican border. He sent a Xmas card, and the return address was "DON"T KNOW".

Moses Yoder
03-16-2014, 7:19 AM
We live in a shoe box in the middle of the road. When we can't afford bologna, we eat sand. (You eat sand?) Yes. And we like it.

Dave Sheldrake
03-16-2014, 9:08 AM
If it's work related I don't try, the lost time in searching usually ends up costing me ore than the item.

cheers

Dave

glenn bradley
03-16-2014, 10:45 AM
I get stingy on things that I don't want to spend money on, but admittedly sometimes spend very freely on things that I like.

I'm in this camp with an additional variable. I will spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling with something I enjoy working on. I will pay someone a little more than it is worth to do something I hate doing ;-) That said, my basic rule is that I won't spend more money in my own time than I would pay someone else to do it. That is, an hour of my valuable shop time versus buying a new widgit for $<insert acceptable dollar amount here> or so . . . I go buy the widgit.

paul cottingham
03-16-2014, 10:58 AM

reminds me of a Datsun I had. I had to start it quite often by shorting across the solenoid with a screwdriver. Got really adept at it.
it was a great car. I wound up putting 230 thousand miles on it.