PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0651 10" table saw and G0490 8" parallelogram jointer

Brian J Jenkins
02-23-2014, 9:49 PM
In preparation for my income tax return :)

I've been looking for a new table saw. I really wanted something with a large table and extension table.

G0651
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Heavy-Duty-Cabinet-Table-Saw-With-Riving-Knife/G0651

and to upgrade from my short 6" jointer - something with a larger surface and a larger capacity

G0490
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490

Anyone have either of these? I know Grizzly has a tent sale coming up in May - which is about 2.5 hours from here. Not sure if it would be worth it to run up and get them, or hold out for an online coupon. Shipping runs $300 for both, plus $34 for liftgate service. Sales tax if I pick it up, comes to $180. So that's a lot of time, and diesel fuel to save $120.

I know last year one of the user forums had a 10% off customer appreciation code. My Grizzly catalog hasn't had the 5% coupon for the last two years. Anyone know if any other catalogs have any coupons?

Glenn Samuels
02-23-2014, 10:02 PM
I have the 8" jointer with a spiral cutterhead and the finish is very good. My one suggestion is to never remove the safety cover to joint an oversized board. I did and I am paying the consequences. Other than my stupidity, it is an excellent machine.

Matt Day
02-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Do some searching on here for both models, as they are very popular. I haven't seen the coupons either since last year. They were in WWJ too.

I have the shop fox version of the jointer and like it.

david brum
02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
I have that jointer. I have no complaints except that I had to modify the belt shroud to cut down on vibration. I think that's long since been been addressed by Grizzly. Otherwise I love the length and the ease of fine tuning the parallelogram beds.

The other thing I'd add is to buy the spiral head version. It will save you a ton of work in the future, unless you enjoy changing jointer knives ( 4 on this model!).

Brian J Jenkins
02-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I have the 8" jointer with a spiral cutterhead and the finish is very good. My one suggestion is to never remove the safety cover to joint an oversized board. I did and I am paying the consequences. Other than my stupidity, it is an excellent machine.

How do you like the spiral cutterhead? I have the Grizzly T10010 wet grinder with the planer attachment and it's easy enough to sharpen jointer knives, along with one of the magnetic aligning jigs to set them. At least on my smaller one, but would assume the 4 cutterhead is just as easy.

Doug Ladendorf
02-24-2014, 12:12 AM
I have that jointer and have been very happy with it. Would love to have the spiral cutter head but just can't justify the cost for my needs. The surface produced is already very smooth. I do wish adjustments were made with wheels rather than levers but it's a minor gripe. I'd say don't hesitate to pick one up.
Doug

Charles Coolidge
02-24-2014, 9:56 AM
I have a G0490 and installed a Byrd Shelix cutter head instead of getting the Grizzly spiral. I'm quite happy with the jointer it works great. I did have a couple of quality issues to deal with during assembly but I have come to expect that of any machine no matter how much I spend.

Brian J Jenkins
03-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I placed an order for both this afternoon :)

Grizzly Customer Appreciation Week - 10% off

Thanks for everyone's feedback

Joshua Richards
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Enjoy the new jointer. I picked up the G0656P a couple weeks ago with the standard cutterhead. The extra size on the bed was the selling point for me. I'm indifferent over the machine thus far, due to the fit and finish being a bit lackluster. There's a older (US Made) Powermatic 8" for sale in my area I could have picked up for about $600.00, and I regret not doing so.

I placed an order for both this afternoon :)

Grizzly Customer Appreciation Week - 10% off

Thanks for everyone's feedback