PDA

View Full Version : TS Safety and Humble question

Bud Ackerman
02-23-2014, 8:46 PM
So I currently have a Delta Unisaw X5. I have an opportunity to purchase a M Max combo (TS/Jointer/Shaper/mortiser) at about 1/4 the cost of a new one. My question is this: is the sliding table and the MMax inherently more safe than the Unisaw? In the back of my mind it seems safer but am looking for opinions. Cost isn't the issue here as selling My TS and Jointer will pay for the M Max. really wondering about the safety aspect.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Rich Riddle
02-23-2014, 9:02 PM
Yes, it's inherently more safe than the Unisaw. I purchased a slider and got rid of the Unisaw. With a slider you stay a good distance from the blade. Just know that it might take some adjustment to get used to the slider. A few things are done differently.

Bud Ackerman
02-23-2014, 9:12 PM
Rich

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about the differences ( In my mind its the difference between standing still and pushing on a unisaw and walking on a slider). Feel free to correct me and let me know of any other "differences"

Rich Riddle
02-23-2014, 9:36 PM
Well the slider I own is a short one, so one can simply stand and move the slider component. Some of the huge ones need the person to move. Well there are some boards where the short one requires movement. but for most boards one can stand in place. Ripping long boards provides a similar experience as does using it with a dado blade if you choose to do that.

johnny means
02-24-2014, 12:05 AM
I own and use a cabinet saw as well as a slider. I have to disagree with the idea that a slider is safer. The situation everyone always points to in order to illustrate a sliders safeness is always the one in which the user is standing well away from the blade. One must assume that this situation only arises when cutting larger boards. These are typically not the situations which lead to injuries. Ripping or crosscutting small parts, the kind that force you to get close to the blade are just as dangerous, if not akward and more dangerous on a slider.

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2014, 9:08 AM
Yes the slider is safer than a cabinet saw, if it's a typical Euro slider for the following reasons.

- operations can be performed with the wood clamped to the slider, and your hands well away from the wood/blade

- riving knives improve safety, the Euro slider will have it

- crown guard with dust collection is nice to use so you won't remove it. The guard doesn't do any good when it's hanging on the wall

- dust collection, far superior to a cabinet saw, much safer for your long term health

- 3 function rip fence, high and normal position for sheet goods, low for narrow strip ripping or bevel cuts, short and high or low for ripping solid wood without risk of kickback as well as being used for a length stop when crosscutting small parts without risk of binding or kickbacks.

I wouldn't go back to a cabinet saw now that I have a Euro slider...........Rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV8A3XK3R0I

I suggest you watch this video, it's long, stick with it.

Mike Wilkins
02-24-2014, 9:12 AM
I also got rid of my Unisaw when I got a slider. As for safety; when crosscutting lumber my fingers are a long way from the spinning blade. Since my Unisaw was a 1964 vintage, there was just the pop-up splitter, which was rarely used. Now with my slider, the riving knife is always there regardless of blade height, can be adjusted for height & space to the blade, and can be easily removed for any grooving cuts.
My rip fence is just like any other saw, and does get used on ocassion. But for ripping boards less than 5 feet in length ( I have a short stroke slider) I mount a couple of hold-downs on the sliding table and put on a ripping blade and rip safely.

Jim Andrew
02-24-2014, 2:15 PM
If that machine were close to my location, I'd go there right now, with my trailer and checkbook. If you wait, someone like me will have it.

Rich Riddle
02-24-2014, 3:00 PM
If that machine were close to my location, I'd go there right now, with my trailer and checkbook. If you wait, someone like me will have it.

There is one in Oregon if you're close to there.

Peter Quinn
02-24-2014, 4:37 PM
Inherently safer? I'll buy the dust collection argument, the rest is hooey. A table saw can be as safe as a slider if you choose to use it that way. Jigs, fixtures, a power feed, you can even make a straight line jig that simulates a slider carriage and keeps your hands......drum roll please......far away from the blade! Saw that from none less than Charles Neil. And some guys actually do. That said I like sliders, I'd certainly jump at the chance to add one to my home shop, I use a large one daily at work which makes cutting sheets much easier and cross cutting solids highly repeatable. Ripping on a slider is still awkward to me, either you spend half your day setting up some parallel stops on the carriage, which is tough when there is a line of guys waiting for he saw and your doing it for money, and your lengths/widths are all over the board...fine at home where time is no object.....or you step around the out rigger and get in a pretty captive position which scares me, or you use one of those long shuffle board pushers which exert a distinct lack of real control over anything and leave you reaching over a large whirling sharp thing.....doesn't feel inherently safer. Unless you are the size of Lurch there is no easy way to reach around a large slider and rip off the fence. I do like the fence as an off cut stop, particularly for sheet goods where you essentially move the material using the carriage. I've never seen a custom pro shop that didn't have something other than a slider for ripping. But if I had to pick one, it would be the slider because it's strengths outweight any adjustments necessary or short comings.

John Lifer
02-25-2014, 9:02 PM
I think it is hooey also, but I'll go a different route, get a RAS if you crosscut that much.

Jim Andrew
02-25-2014, 9:44 PM
That is halfway across the country from me, not much for used equipment here.