PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Used Delta 28-276 on CL

Joel Turner
02-23-2014, 7:28 PM
Looking to pick up a used band saw and ran across an ad for a used Delta 28-276 with riser block and Laguna fence. Going to try and see it tomorrow afternoon. He's selling due to an upgrade. Saw is about 10 years old and from the pictures and his description, it seems to be in very good shape. Wants for $450 for it. Is this a decent deal and if so, can I transport it in a car? I assume if I take the table off, the bandsaw will fit in the back seat or trunk of my car and the mobile base in the back seat.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Joel

Thomas Hotchkin
02-24-2014, 12:42 AM
If this is the same band saw it on sale at Lowe's for $105.00 https://www.google.com/search?q=Delta+28-276+band+saw&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=Delta+28-276+bandsaw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=active&tb

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVP95KtlVHxHwchadwlUwSOa2sYtL KihenulcRsy8Hp2igx6ip&usqp=CAE

Rich Riddle
02-24-2014, 7:24 AM
If this is the same band saw it on sale at Lowe's for $105.00 https://www.google.com/search?q=Delta+28-276+band+saw&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=Delta+28-276+bandsaw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=active&tb

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVP95KtlVHxHwchadwlUwSOa2sYtL KihenulcRsy8Hp2igx6ip&usqp=CAE
Wish it was true, but there are none in stock anywhere at that price and when you select shipping, it won't ship to any stores.

Myk Rian
02-24-2014, 8:43 AM
If it's 10 years old, it was USA made. This is the 2001 USA model I had. I sold it for $450.
Offer him a bit less and see what happens.

Joel Turner
02-24-2014, 9:07 AM
According to the seller, the saw is from 2003 so I'm not sure of the country of origin. He also does not have the stock Delta base, rather, it is homemade mobile one. I also learned that from him that the fence is the stock fence from a Laguna Bandsaw he purchased that he subsequently upgraded to a Driftmaster. Should I have any concerns about a stock Laguna fence on a Delta?

My biggest concern is whether or not if I disassemble portions of the bandsaw so that it can fit in a full-size sedan where the rear seats can fold down. Since it's 40 miles from my house, if I have to rent a van, I'm thinking I might as well purchase a new Grizzly G0555LANV for $75 more. The delivery fee is a wash for the rental charge plus round-trip mileage.

Myk Rian
02-24-2014, 9:50 AM
With no factory stand, $450 is way too much.

John Lanciani
02-24-2014, 9:57 AM
It will definitely fit in your car with minor disassembly. Basic tools are all that is required. As for the price, I agree with Myk. $300 is probably about right if it is domestic and in decent shape. If it's one of the early Delta imports I personally wouldn't touch it.

John (current owner of 3 Deltas, 1937, 1949, and 1958.)

Myk Rian
02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
If it doesn't have the lower sticker like mine did, it's an import.
I sold it to my Niece, and she sold it to someone else for $400 a year later.
I now have a 1966 Metal/Wood model.

Joel Turner
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

John--I'm curious why the early imports are a no-go in your opinion. Was the quality that poor? If so, what's changed between now and then if I purchase an import? From what I've read, as far as I can tell, Grizzly, Delta, Jet, Powermatic, and Steel City are all made in the same factories next to each other. What am I missing?

John Lanciani
02-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Lots of reports of poor quality control when Delta started importing the 14" bandsaws and selling them so cheap. Things like flimsy stands and unbalanced wheels. Parts availability will be very spotty as well. If you want an import, my feeling is that you should look at Grizzly, why pay more for different paint schemes.

The domestic Delta 14" bandsaws are virtually unchanged from the late 30's until they stopped making them so parts are relatively easy to source. The design is simple and solid and while it diminished over time the quality of all of them is very good at worst. I've had 8 of them over the years ranging from 1937 - 1996 and my current 1949 vintage is my favorite. When i find a cast iron stand for it it will be perfect.

ETA, if the owner 86'ed the original stand it may well be that it is one of the imports that had the wobbles. Might be a good question to ask. Where are you located Joel, good saws are pretty easy to find here in New England, I see one or two candidates every week.

John Lanciani
02-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Gratuitous pic...

Joel Turner
02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm located in Madison, WI, I just updated my profile to reflect that.

I'm new to woodworking so my knowledge is somewhat limited as it relates to purchasing equipment, especially used. I'm leaning towards going with a new bandsaw at this point instead of this one.