PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the LV saw file set from Grobet?

allen long
02-23-2014, 7:08 PM
Thinking of ordering the new saw file holder from LV. It is available with a set of files from Grobet. Are the Grobet files (and this set in particular) a good value? I have seen much discussion on the creek about quality of files of late, but don't recall Grobet as being part of the discussions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

David Weaver
02-23-2014, 7:15 PM
Grobet swiss files are fine. Anything labeled grobet USA is to be avoided. If it's not clear what they are from the listing, then I'd call them.

IIRC, the price was about the going rate for individual files (as in, they are not taking you for a ride) and it gives you a chance to try a few different sizes of files without having to buy boxes of them.

Once you're into boxes, it's all bahco for all but the xx slim sizes. Bahco has a part number for the little xx slim files, but I have never actually seen them anywhere.

allen long
02-23-2014, 7:32 PM
Thanks for the info, David. The LV site says they are from Grobet of Switzerland (Given LV's outstanding reputation for honestly, I would think that means they are Swiss-made), I am torn as to whether I want to go down the saw sharpening restoration rabbet hole. Found the following saw for $1, and 6 or 7 others for about $3 each. Honestly, I am am a hybrid woodworker with the full complement of LV saws (including the new panel saws unopened). I wonder if I will ever use the saws enough to have to sharpen them (chisels are a hole other story). Then again, the old rusty saws I have already bought would be perfect for practice!

That said, if I do make the mistake of diving in . . . .should I get the saw sets offered by LV? They seem a pretty good value if they are any good.

Here is the saw I bought for a dollar. Anyone know anything about this saw?

Note, there is only the tiniest of pieces missing from the handle. I will probably strip and refinish it. The plate shined up OK but has a lot of pitting. Is this worth the trouble of rehabbing?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7405/12312324525_896399a1fa.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7382/12312502223_e899831261.jpg

Chris Griggs
02-23-2014, 7:35 PM
Yeah, they're good files. They are not always cut 100% perfect but overall they are good and they hold up well. I like having the roll.

Tom M King
02-23-2014, 8:02 PM
I have the little file case, and like it a lot. I only keep a fresh set in it, so I know they are good to go. I suggest just buying files you need, and several of each. When you have a fair number dulled, you can send them off to be sharpened. One file won't last that long before it gets dull, but you can probably file two or three saws with one. I have not tried the Grobet files. Fortunately, I stocked up on files a good while back before American file companies started having them made in China. I didn't realize that Nicholsons were no longer any good until I heard about it online.

For chainsaw files, I like Pferd, but my boxes of them are all over ten years old too.

Never back up with a file, and take full strokes. I see people taking short heavy strokes, but I usually buy full length files and want to get my money's worth. You don't have to bear down hard. a long smooth stroke gives the best result with no more pressure than will throw shavings. Put a sheet of white paper close behind a practice saw, and see what shavings you get from different pressure strokes. Once you get a feel for a file, it gets easier, and easier.

You need to be able to see what you are doing. I use 2.5 power dental lopes for fine toothed backsaws. I tried the cheaper kinds of magnifiers, but I don't wear glasses, and the cheaper ones give me a headache before I'm half finished with one saw.

Ron Bontz
02-23-2014, 8:08 PM
For what it is worth, I use the Lee Valley guide every time I file a saw plate. I would highly recommend the guide or one from Blackburn's Tools. They are quite handy. Best wishes.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2014, 9:39 PM
Here is the saw I bought for a dollar. Anyone know anything about this saw?

I would have happily paid a dollar for that saw.

From the patent date on the medallion it was likely made before 1910.

I have a Bishop #10 that I use all the time for dovetails and other joinery.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-23-2014, 10:55 PM
I would have happily paid a dollar for that saw.

No kidding! Wish I stumbled across that kind of stuff here!

allen long
02-24-2014, 9:41 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Anthony Moumar
02-24-2014, 10:00 AM
I use them and I initially got the set with the holder and roll. I like using the holder especially when dealing with a saw that needs a lot of work. The roll is nice, an auger file will fit in the place for a needle file and I like being able to keep all my sharpening files in one place. The files are pretty decent, if i'm working on a saw that's new to me I might wear the file anywhere from a third to all the way depending on the amount of work needed. After that I can get 3-5 sharpenings out of each file.

Hilton Ralphs
02-24-2014, 2:16 PM
Once you're into boxes, it's all bahco for all but the xx slim sizes. Bahco has a part number for the little xx slim files, but I have never actually seen them anywhere.

Double extra slim taper 5" (10 in a box) un-handled, part number is 4-188-05-2-0 (13-16 PPI)

Double extra slim taper 6" (10 in a box) un-handled, part number is 4-188-06-2-0 (11-12 PPI)

Double extra slim taper 5" (5 in a box) handled, part number is 4-188-05-2-2 (13-16 PPI)