PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid oscillating belt sander for metal?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 1:34 PM
Anyone try one of these for metal?

http://s2.img-b.com/faucetdirect.com/imagebase/resized/330x320/ridgidimages/EB4424_1_Final_3C.jpg

I'm making a couple shoulder planes from kits, and wondering if this would work to clean up the peened dovetails. Brass and mild steel. Maybe different belts?

Loren Woirhaye
02-23-2014, 1:49 PM
Probably will work ok. You may want to use space blocks to spread wear on the belts... and of course cleaning metal out of a sander in order to use it for wood is a hassle. I would rather use a sanding board than clean a sander out.

Benjamin Miller
02-23-2014, 2:08 PM
I wouldn't expect good results on steel with a belt sander. Belt grinders that are made for metal typically have much higher belt speeds and more horsepower to hog off metal.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 2:31 PM
It's a Legacy kit from before they quit making them, and they have very detailed directions on using files to do it, and a brief blurb about using a belt sander, (maybe grinder, my memory is fuzzy), so thought that because I have the Ridgid already, might as well ask. Off to google belt grinders.

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2014, 3:41 PM
I have that machine. It works fine for what I wanted, and what I expected - a couple hundred on a power tool from the BORG. I have no complaints, but I had the bar set pretty low.

I would not be interested in selling my machine, and I would not want to use it for what you propose.

$0.02

Andrew Joiner
02-23-2014, 3:49 PM
I use belt sanders on wood and steel often. Works fine, may not be as fast as a belt grinder. Just be careful of fires from sparks. I take any dust bags off if I'm grinding/sanding lots of steel. I'll set a timer or hang a note on my light-switch to look for smolders before I leave the shop.

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2014, 3:52 PM
. I take any dust bags off if I'm grinding/sanding lots of steel. I'll set a timer or hang a note on my light-switch to look for smolders before I leave the shop.

Excellent grooming tip, Andrew.

John McClanahan
02-23-2014, 3:59 PM
I have owned one of these for over 10 years. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-21513-1-3-hp-electric-belt-disc-sander-21513/p-00921513000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
I use it for both wood and metal. I also use 1" 240 grit belts for metal with no problems. You will want to use finer grit belts for metal work, like 180-240 grit. My only concern with the Ridgid sander woul be getting metal grit in the oscillating parts of the machine, causing it to fail.

John

John Downey
02-23-2014, 4:01 PM
It should work fine for one or two planes, with the cleaning/sparking caveats already mentioned....

Is this to finish the entirety of the sides/sole or just to knock down the dovetails after peening? If the former, you'll get better results (flatter sides) from a file, if the latter, belt sander should work just fine.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 5:24 PM
Well, I've been in the woodshop looking at the sander a bit, and I'd hate to kill it. Before I try it I think some surgery to see how bad it's going to be to clean out is in order. I suppose there is wood dust in there now that would have to come out before starting. I don't mind files at all, but cleaning up the bulk of the dovetails, not for a finished surface, was what I was thinking.

As an aside, anyone price files lately, good grief. Back when Nicholsons were good, I bought a few, and they were half the cost of the new junk. Bahco kills on shipping, wish Nicholson wouldn't have gone bad.

Jery Madigan
02-23-2014, 7:22 PM
My 1" belt sander can do a wicked job of sharpening knives.

Michael Mayo
02-25-2014, 11:20 PM
I have that same Rigid sander and I have used it many times to sand steel, stainless steel and aluminum. The aluminum is the worst one due to being very soft it tends to clog the belts pretty quickly. It worked great on carbon and stainless steel. It is a bit slow but it does work and is faster than any other method I have available to me in the shop. I have not noticed any ill effects on the sander so far. I only paid $80 for it so I am not too concerned about killing it but would not like to cause premature death due to metal contamination. I may just have to take it apart and check to see if there is any major metal buildup inside.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-26-2014, 12:31 AM
I have that same Rigid sander and I have used it many times to sand steel, stainless steel and aluminum. The aluminum is the worst one due to being very soft it tends to clog the belts pretty quickly. It worked great on carbon and stainless steel. It is a bit slow but it does work and is faster than any other method I have available to me in the shop. I have not noticed any ill effects on the sander so far. I only paid $80 for it so I am not too concerned about killing it but would not like to cause premature death due to metal contamination. I may just have to take it apart and check to see if there is any major metal buildup inside.

Thanks, that's great info! What belt would you use? I have the original on mine still, guessing something else is in order.