PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use those Rockler Sure-Hooks for 35mm Hinge cups for finishing?

John Schumer
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used these, and if they worked well?
http://www.rockler.com/sure-hooktrade-360-12-pack

Any other suggestions?
I only ask because I just had a cherry door fall from a Blum Inserta hinge.
I usually just hang the doors from the hinges I am using to hang the doors.

Thanks,
John

Jamie Buxton
02-23-2014, 12:02 PM
I spray with an HVLP. It puts out lots of air. The one time I tried to spray hanging doors with it, the air blew the doors all over the place. They'd flop around or spin, so I was holding the door with my left hand while spraying with the right. That got my left hand covered with finish, and left fingerprints in the finish. Not good. I went back to spraying the front separately from the back. I shoot a waterborne designed for spraying, and on most days it cures fast enough that I can flip a door over in a couple of hours.

It is good to have a drying rack -- a thing with lots of horizontal arms where you can stack doors while they're drying. I take a door out of the rack, put it horizontal in my spray area, shoot it, and slide it back into the rack. My rack folds so it can store on a wall, and has casters on the bottom so I can wheel the loaded rack around. For pics, see post #6 in this thread -- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168896-Need-drying-rack-ideas&highlight=drying+rack

Alan Bienlein
02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
I spray doors while they are hanging as I can spray both sides. You need to use two wires to hang it so it doesn't spin around on you. I use an old fashion cup gun.

My hangers are made from tie wire used to tie re-bar together. I made a jig so all would be the same length and the holes would be consistent. They fasten into the screw holes for the hinges.

This is the setup I used bit my current setup I can easily disassemble to store and I used some hooks to hang the door from.

Here are the doors where I hang them to dry. The smaller ones I hang by only one wire and leave the other wire dangle.