PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a jointer for my shop?

Michael Yadfar
02-22-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm starting my own personal home wood shop and I feel like a jointer is one of the most essential machines. Especially for what I want to do, as I need to make a flat edge on raw material and I plan to build stuff like cutting boards which need to be jointed to be glued together. The problem is that I find a jointer to be the hardest tool to find at the right price.

At first I wanted a table top jointer, as they're much cheaper and they also take up a lot less space; my workshop is very small and I don't know how well a full sized one would fit. Plus I don't have the $1000+ in my budget to buy one. The problem is though every single one of these jointers get bad reviews, no matter the brand name. This seems to only be a jointer problem, as I've found table top planers that get good reviews. I know that Ridgid had a jointer that was affordable and a lot of people praised it, but for some odd reason they apparently stopped making it.

So then I was floating with the idea of getting a used one off Craigslist. Old tools are pretty much bullet proof, but then again I was concerned with issues getting parts and condition issues. I don't really know what peoples experiences are with used power tools.

So does anyone have advice on what I should do? I'm trying to keep my shop under $2,000. So far I have a Ridgid table saw that was $400 and a workbench I built that cost around $100 to build; and I plan to buy a makita planer ($550), triton router (for table)($200 plus cost to build table), a good selection of bar clamps ($100), and obviously a jointer. The rest of the essential tools (hand tools, miter saw, and drill press) I already have.

Victor Robinson
02-22-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm starting my own personal home wood shop and I feel like a jointer is one of the most essential machines. Especially for what I want to do, as I need to make a flat edge on raw material and I plan to build stuff like cutting boards which need to be jointed to be glued together. The problem is that I find a jointer to be the hardest tool to find at the right price.

At first I wanted a table top jointer, as they're much cheaper and they also take up a lot less space; my workshop is very small and I don't know how well a full sized one would fit. Plus I don't have the $1000+ in my budget to buy one. The problem is though every single one of these jointers get bad reviews, no matter the brand name. This seems to only be a jointer problem, as I've found table top planers that get good reviews. I know that Ridgid had a jointer that was affordable and a lot of people praised it, but for some odd reason they apparently stopped making it.

So then I was floating with the idea of getting a used one off Craigslist. Old tools are pretty much bullet proof, but then again I was concerned with issues getting parts and condition issues. I don't really know what peoples experiences are with used power tools.

So does anyone have advice on what I should do? I'm trying to keep my shop under $2,000. So far I have a Ridgid table saw that was $400 and a workbench I built that cost around $100 to build; and I plan to buy a makita planer ($550), triton router (for table)($200 plus cost to build table), a good selection of bar clamps ($100), and obviously a jointer. The rest of the essential tools (hand tools, miter saw, and drill press) I already have.

Welcome to the Creek!

If you must have a jointer, and your budget is constrained, I'd keep an eye out on Craigslist for a used 6". Plenty of 6" jointers get sold when their owners upgrade to 8" or larger. The Ridgid, as you mentioned, is a good one. You can probably find one in the $200 range if you keep an eye out, depending on your area.

The other thing to think about is accomplishing jointing tasks with other tools.

You can get a flat face by using a sled in a thickness planer, or by using a sled for a router and "surfacing" the face. Or hand planes, of course.

You can joint a straight edge at 90 degrees to the flattened face by using a straight edge and flush trim bit on your router, or a router table with split fence (basically the same mechanism as a jointer, just turned sideways), a table saw sled, or a tracksaw.

Mike Cutler
02-23-2014, 7:02 AM
Welcome Michael

As Victor pointed out, Craigslist is a valuable resource for buying used machinery. $200-$300.00 should buy you a pretty nice 6" jointer.One that you can still get parts for.
The "older" machines can be had for less than the price of scrap metal per pound all day long, and there isn't much wrong with them. Most just need a real good cleaning, probably a new motor, some bearings, and they'll last another 50 to 100 years. (I wish I'd gone this route 20 years ago. ;) )

Once again, Welcome.

scott spencer
02-23-2014, 7:11 AM
Grizzly has a couple of new 6" jointers that are priced between $500 and $600 shipped that are well regarded.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654

Ryan Lee
02-23-2014, 9:54 AM
I know you said that you don't want to spend too much, but I really wish that I had purchased a larger(>6") joiner. Most boards that I mill down are just over or a few inches over the 6" mark. That means that I end up doing more glueups than are really necessary. I would try to save a little longer and get a larger machine. Just my 2 cents.

Erik Loza
02-23-2014, 10:50 AM
I know you said that you don't want to spend too much, but I really wish that I had purchased a larger(>6") joiner...

This ^^^^

The two machines I most consistently hear folks say, "I would have gone bigger if I could do it over again", are bandsaws and jointers.

Best of luck with your search.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Paul Symchych
02-23-2014, 10:58 AM
I second both the Craigslist and the Ridgid ideas.
I have a 10+ year old 6" Ridgid and it has been totally maintenance free.
If there is one thing I'd like it would be a longer table but that doesn't come with 6" machines. Benchtops will have an even shorter table.

Dunno where you are but FWIW a quick look at my local Craigslist has a couple of 6" jointers advertised at $300 and up a bit which means that the actual selling price ought to be a little lower. Your prices will likely be different. Keep an eye on Craigslist and be patient.

Michael Mayo
02-23-2014, 11:11 AM
I waited and picked up a super nice Geetech 8" jointer off Craigslist for $450 and I ended up getting a bunch of other stuff from the seller. We have been in touch ever since meeting so I would definitely keep an eye out on CL for a used 8" jointer. You will want a wide jointer as I found my little 4" Shopsmith jointer was far too limiting in its size to be very useful. You won't regret getting a wide jointer a guarantee you.

Myk Rian
02-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Look for an older Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet. 6" is a very common size and go for about $300 or less.
Every now and then you can find an 8" for a little more.

John TenEyck
02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
I will pile on the used route. There's not much to go wrong with a jointer, so if it runs well when you look at it chances are it will continue to do so for many years. You said your shop space and budget is limited, but many 6" used jointers go pretty cheap on C-list. Just be patient and pounce when you see one that looks right for you. IMHO, the brand doesn't matter all that much. As long as the tables are flat and in the same plane - well, that's all you really need.

I'll offer another suggestion that would kill two birds with one stone. Look for an Inca jointer/planer. If you are not familiar with them, they are a combination machine with 10-1/4" capacity for both jointing and planing. They are quite small and light and typically powered by a 1.5 HP 110/220V motor. They are perfect for small shops but offer very wide jointer width compared to most home shop jointers. They look a lot like a toy, but they can handle about anything you can put on it of through it. I've had one for over 25 years and have run many thousands of BF through it with no problems. They sometimes show up here in the classified section for around $750, which would just about meet your budget for a jointer and planer. Also, there is a Yahoo group dedicated to Inca machines, and you might find someone looking to sell one there, or can ask about one. Here's the link: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/incawoodworking/info If you can find one I think you'll find it meets your space and needs very nicely.

John

Michael Yadfar
02-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I was sort of falling under the impression that the table top ones were junk. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard from a few people on another forum that expensive brands nowadays make much lower quality tools then the price suggest. They said that the quality gap between brands like Dewalt and Ridgid aren't too far apart from the higher end brands such as delta and jet.

As far as the jointer goes I will probably go on craigslist, I don't see anything good now but I will stay patient. The jointer I have experience on is an older 8" delta-Rockwell jointer, and man, that thing was so nice to work on. It was well kept and everything. This was in my high school shop, which was a woodworkers dream. We had the best of the old and best of the new equipment, all well kept and commercial grade.

My only question though with buying a used jointer is if the blades are easily available (I guess they could be universal), and how much a potential motor replacement would cost. I would also like to know how hard a motor change is

Lud martinson
02-23-2014, 1:01 PM
Michael, Where do you live?

Michael Yadfar
02-23-2014, 1:04 PM
Michael, Where do you live?

I live in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania

Greg Peterson
02-23-2014, 1:17 PM
Old doesn't always mean good. Older jointers will almost always have dovetailed ways. Getting the tables level and co-planar is a real treat. Over all, manufacturing processes are much better today than they were 50 years ago.

Craigslist can be a very good place to find tools. I think more densely populated regions have more power tools to offer than out here in the NW. An 8" jointer came up recently, but the seller claimed to have only recently bought the unit because his old jointer died and he needed to finish his final project before retiring. The sell price was not compelling enough for me.

I bought an old Delta 6" jointer that was a nightmare to set up. The era in which this unit was designed and built gave no consideration to dust collection. These things can be quite messy. Actually, any power tool is going to be very messy. Hopefully you have addressed dust collection.

While the adage that a woodworker can never have enough clamps remains true, it became immediately apparent to me that dust collection should be the first consideration when setting up a new shop.

Now then, if you choose to go with hand tools, once mastered, an old Stanley #7 will serve you well.

Lud martinson
02-23-2014, 1:41 PM
Oh well - too far. I'm restoring a 6 inch Boice Crane that could be a decent starter for little or no $$.

Michael Yadfar
02-23-2014, 1:52 PM
I actually spoke to soon when I said there was nothing good on craigslist. I found a decent one right inside my price range: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4345904980.html

Charles Coolidge
02-23-2014, 1:58 PM
I vote craigslist because there's a lot of turn over in your price range. Guys that buy machines and bail out of woodworking after a year, basically the machines are brand new or guys that are upgrading to larger machines. The Rigid 6" jointer is quite satisfactory. I ran a national craigslist search ("rigid" "jointer" site:craigslist.org) and it looks like people are asking from $225 to $375 for them used. I owned one its decent, mind you setting up the machine square and true is important.

Peter Quinn
02-23-2014, 2:12 PM
I'd stay away from the bench top jointers, too small and light for almost anything. I've used a few models somebody had for job site work, more for a carpenter to put a quick edge on a board than any actual wood working. The lunch box planers work fine, but it's a different cutter to wood relationship so compact works. The only table top model I've seen that was decent is an INCA combo machine, but those are rather rare and still not always cheap. I had a general int. 6" long bed for a while, very usable machine similar to most Asian import models. It takes a certain mass to make a jointer work well, 6" floor model is the bare minimum IMO, table tops are really just an alternative to a hand held power planer, your better off with a #7 jointer plane than a cheap table top.

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2014, 3:50 PM
This ^^^^

The two machines I most consistently hear folks say, "I would have gone bigger if I could do it over again", are bandsaws and jointers.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Yeah, but ..... that is one goldarn slippery slope.

Equipped my shop a number of years ago. Too many boards were > 6", so, after 6 months, I donated my Delta 6" jointer to the local high school [close friend was shop teacher]. Got a PM 60B 8". Been working fine.

Except too many boards are > 8".

Since I have a 15" planer, it only makes sense that my jointer shou............ aw - the heck with it. Then I would get a 20" planer, and then .......

Get what you need for what you want to do. Upgrades are a fact of life, and you will get there when you get there. 6" used seem to be readily available, and reasonable $$$. I have always assumed that is oversupply from guys in the same spot I was in.

John TenEyck
02-23-2014, 4:06 PM
So, did you buy it?

I'm still using the same two sets of knives that came with Inca. If the knives are 1/8" thick (like on mine) it would be hard to wear out a set as a hobbiest. As for a new motor being needed, highly unlikely. I've never had a motor wear out in 30 years of use. At some point you might need to replace the bearings; beyond that, not much to go wrong and quality built motors will last a lifetime and more. In my opinion, neither concern would sway me to buy new. My experiences with used (mostly) American machines has been all good. I've got a shop full of used tools for maybe $2500, including upgrades - Inca J/P, Foley-Belsaw moulder/planer, Unisaw, Delta BS, Delta lathe, Dewalt RAS.

John

Myk Rian
02-23-2014, 4:20 PM
Old doesn't always mean good. Older jointers will almost always have dovetailed ways. Getting the tables level and co-planar is a real treat. Over all, manufacturing processes are much better today than they were 50 years ago.
Sorry. I don't agree with any of that.
Things were made like tanks in the 30s-60s. Plastic is the rule today.
If a jointer has the original tables, they're going to be good today. Unless some fatso sat on one end.

Phil Thien
02-23-2014, 4:41 PM
I use a Ryobi (older made in Japan) 6" benchtop jointer. It is pretty decent, stays in alignment, and overall I'm happy with it. But I still have the itch for a larger jointer.

Before getting it I considered current benchtop jointers and I don't think I'd touch any of them.

I think the advice to shop for a 6" stationary jointer is good advice.

That Jet you found is probably pretty nice.

Robert Parent
02-23-2014, 4:54 PM
Hi,

A jointer is one of those unsung tools. You will not want to be without a good one once you have used one. For years I always thought a jointer was no big deal, anything would do, wrong! Once I bought a good one the quality of my projects vastly improved and building things became much easier as parts actually fit together. I would look for the long table first and foremost. A good 6 inch used machine can be had for not much cash most places.

Robert

Michael Yadfar
02-23-2014, 5:56 PM
Hi,

A jointer is one of those unsung tools. You will not want to be without a good one once you have used one. For years I always thought a jointer was no big deal, anything would do, wrong! Once I bought a good one the quality of my projects vastly improved and building things became much easier as parts actually fit together. I would look for the long table first and foremost. A good 6 inch used machine can be had for not much cash most places.

Robert

Yea that's something I realized, it's probably the second most important tool behind table saw IMO

Michael Yadfar
02-23-2014, 6:00 PM
Sorry. I don't agree with any of that.
Things were made like tanks in the 30s-60s. Plastic is the rule today.
If a jointer has the original tables, they're going to be good today. Unless some fatso sat on one end.

From my experience with older equipment as I stated earlier, I definitely agree. In my school shop I don't even know what the brand was, but we had a huge planer that I would say is probably a 24 inch. It was so nice, the thing was literally like 4'x4'x4' about and is all metal. It's a big green machine that I know was made in Italy. The thing was so heavy that it literally has hooks built into it because you have to use some kind of heavy machinery to move it. But those old machines man, they built them things to last.

Michael Yadfar
02-23-2014, 6:01 PM
In reply to Myk Rian because it's somehow not letting me quote you...

From my experience with older equipment as I stated earlier, I definitely agree. In my school shop I don't even know what
the brand was, but we had a huge planer that I would say is probably a 24 inch. It was so nice, the thing was literally like 4'x4'x4' about and is all metal. It's a big green machine that I know was made in Italy. The thing was so heavy that it literally has hooks built into it because you have to use some kind of heavy machinery to move it. But those old machines man, they built them things to last.

Bryan Cramer
02-23-2014, 6:17 PM
I have the Rigid jointer and if you can find one its a good machine. I run mine for hours at a time. The last job required about 4 hour of jointing. It has held up for 4 years with that work load. For a starter you can't go wrong. I also will say think about getting a Dewalt #734 or Rigid planer as your starter. I have a Dewalt 734 and it has seen a similar work load as my jointer for the past 3 years. It will save you about $150 over the Makita. I really should upgrade at least my planer because I'm afraid I am literally going to destroy it by doing production runs, but it keeps going.

David Hostetler
02-25-2014, 1:12 PM
If you eliminate any tool that has a poor review or so, you wouldn't have any tools in your shop... The Grizzly G0725 Bench top 6" jointer gets reasonable reviews, and appears to be similar to my Sunhill. Sadly Sunhill Machinery is out of business, they sold rebranded Geetech equipment. I have the 6" benchtop model and love it. The fence isn't a heavy cast iron unit like I would have liked, but it does what it is supposed to do, and does it well... I should mention, that Grizzly appears to have a cast iron fence.

I would avoid a jointer with an aluminum table though. Those can be a bit hard to deal with... The Delta JT160 / Porter Cable bench top jointer leap to mind with that...

IF you have the space for a floor model jointer, those are certainly a lot easier to deal with, depending on your local market, 6" jointers come up on Craigslist pretty often. The Ridgid jointer is known to be pretty good. A hidden gem that can be had for cheap if you can find one, the Central Machinery 6" and 8" jointers are pretty decent copies of old Delta / Rockwell designs. Just test it out, check with levels / squares etc.. like you would any used jointer, to make sure everything is good...

The smaller floor model Grizzly 6" can be had to your door in the CONUS for around $500.00 I believe...

As much as I like the idea of them, I admit I am more than a little leery of the Jet combination jointer / planer machines. They go beyond just a few bad reviews, to mostly bad reviews...

Andy Pratt
02-25-2014, 2:39 PM
If you want to do high quality work you will quickly find yourself needing to face joint boards and then width becomes a major factor. General advice from most people is that it is worth holding out for an 8" jointer vs buying a 6". That being said, a 6" jointer is way better than no jointer. Definitely buy a good quality used one off craigslist, that's the best bang for your buck. If you keep your eye out you will find an 8" jointer for a little under $500, which is what it seems like you had left after I did the rough math on your budget.

You could also get a 6" jointer and make a planer sled for wider boards. I feel like the planer sled is probably more hassle than it is worth though.

Michael Yadfar
02-25-2014, 6:35 PM
Despite the advice of many to go with an 8", I ended up getting a 6" Jet jointer. It was in relatively mint condition and was only about 1/3 of the price they are now, so I couldn't really resist. It actually came from a guy who upgraded to an 8 inch. I really appreciate the advice though, and it did help me out. I ended up getting a good jointer for about the same price as a brand new table top one, so I'm happy about that

Chen-Tin Tsai
02-25-2014, 7:59 PM
Yeah, but ..... that is one goldarn slippery slope.

Equipped my shop a number of years ago. Too many boards were > 6", so, after 6 months, I donated my Delta 6" jointer to the local high school [close friend was shop teacher]. Got a PM 60B 8". Been working fine.

Except too many boards are > 8".

Since I have a 15" planer, it only makes sense that my jointer shou............ aw - the heck with it. Then I would get a 20" planer, and then .......

Get what you need for what you want to do. Upgrades are a fact of life, and you will get there when you get there. 6" used seem to be readily available, and reasonable $$$. I have always assumed that is oversupply from guys in the same spot I was in.

It sure is a slippery slope. I was afraid of the slippery slope when I got my table saw, so when the opportunity presented itself, I upgraded from my cheapie Ryobi jobsite table saw to a 5HP PM 66! I don't know what I'd upgrade to next and my wallet is afraid to look :p

Actually, so far, I've found my 6" jointer to work quite well for the majority of my face-jointing. When I have to deal with wider boards, I break out the scrub, jack and jointer planes to flatten one face and then run it through the planer. Since I'm a hybrid WWer, I almost never use my jointer to edge-joint boards as I can do it quickly and quietly with my Stanley #7. Now I know I will rue the day when I have to flatten a couple of 20" wide slabs of some crazy hard wood!

johnny means
02-25-2014, 8:08 PM
Congrats. Any real jointer is a big step in woodworking. I wouldn't lament the 6" vs 8" issue to much, seems like a step price for a minimal gain. Personally, I feel that the next step up in functionality would be to a12" machine, which is definitely an entirely different range.

Btw, no pics, didn't happen.

Michael Yadfar
02-25-2014, 8:20 PM

Well here she is...

johnny means
02-25-2014, 11:43 PM
YOU SUCK! :p

Dallas Blakeney
02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Congrats Michael on your new jointer. It seems we are both in the same stage of setting up out shop. My question for you is do you already have a dust collector for the jointer? This is one area I have not dove in yet.

So my question for the group is should I purchase a DC first before the jointer? I am currently operating with a 16 gallon shop vac which I use with my Rigid R4512 TS. I dont think that will be enough for a jointer.

Personally after reading all the posts I think I will bite the bullet an go for the 8 inch jointer first. Leaning toward this one at the moment.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-3-HP-w-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series/G0656P

Opinions from the group would be appreciated.

Also FYI first time poster here. It seems SMC is a great pool of knowledge where people are great for helping out those getting into the craft.

Thanks in advance.

John Schweikert
02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Michael,

I bought the same Jet 6" used from CL for $300 in December. You got a great deal as well. Now, my advice is to install a Byrd Shelix head; you won't regret it. I love how quiet the jointer with the Byrd head runs and cuts compared to the straight knives.

You can get a Byrd head from Holbren with the sawmillcreek discount code for about $315.

Michael Yadfar
02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Congrats Michael on your new jointer. It seems we are both in the same stage of setting up out shop. My question for you is do you already have a dust collector for the jointer? This is one area I have not dove in yet.

So my question for the group is should I purchase a DC first before the jointer? I am currently operating with a 16 gallon shop vac which I use with my Rigid R4512 TS. I dont think that will be enough for a jointer.

Personally after reading all the posts I think I will bite the bullet an go for the 8 inch jointer first. Leaning toward this one at the moment.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-3-HP-w-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series/G0656P

Opinions from the group would be appreciated.

Also FYI first time poster here. It seems SMC is a great pool of knowledge where people are great for helping out those getting into the craft.

Thanks in advance.

I actually have that same exact Ridgid shop vac that I plan to use for dust collection. I'm on the same boat though, I never got as far to think about dust collection. Personally considering I already have it, I plan to make it work. Hopefully it will!

Michael Yadfar
02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
I just realized my jointer is the limited edition 40th anniversary model. Not that it means anything though, I doubt there's any differences besides the logo haha

Joe Jensen
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
I built a lot of nice furniture with a 1960s Sears Craftsman that I got on craigs list cheap. Needed new blades, rust cleaned up, new bearings, and a new belt. In the end I had maybe $150 in it. Bearings are standard and always cheaper from a bearing shop than from the OEM. Just find the number on the bearing and they can match from that.

I have never owned a table top machine and I agree that they are mostly marginal.

Since that early 6" Sears I moved to an 8" Powermatic, and then a few years ago I moved to an SCMI 12".