PDA

View Full Version : What to look at when buying unisaw w/converter

Scott Austin
02-22-2014, 9:18 PM
What do I look at when buying a unisaw ( I am guessing it's 3 phase ) that comes with a converter ? I have been ready to buy a unisaw & this one came up at a good price ( $ 350 ).

Thanks for any advice

Dennis Ford
02-23-2014, 9:08 AM
I would want to see it run. That price seems too good to be true. If you can't see it run; assume that it won't run and plan to purchase a motor. I would also look for broken / bent or missing parts.

Scott Austin
02-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks Dennis, I thought the price is to good to be true too. It can't hurt to look at it thought.

CPeter James
02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
3 phase means it was either in a school or a large commercial shop and may have had a lot of hard use. That said, it may be worth looking at, anyway. Three phase machines tend to go for a lot less money because people do not know how to deal with the power problem. If is 3 hp or less, then a VFD is the way to go. Three phase motors are really simple and if they have not let the magic smoke out, the only things that might need to be replaced are the bearings. Be aware that Unisaw motors are different in size and mounting than other readily available motors and that the older Unisaws take a special "bullet" motor. To put in a newer motor the cabinet has to be cut to make the motor opening larger.