PDA

View Full Version : How to disassemble Jorgensen handscrew clamps

Frank Martin
02-22-2014, 9:15 PM
I have several handscrew clamps that have rusted hardware. I tried to disassemble them so I can clean and recondition them, but could not figure it out. Would appreciate help from fellow Creekers in how to do that.

Mel Fulks
02-22-2014, 9:34 PM
If they work now,I wouldn't do anything beyond scraping off glue. Any oil on the threads will make them unwind and loosen in use. If you have any that are rusted and frozen you can use vise grips on threads close to wood handles and spray oil on threads. After they loosen up, spray with brake cleaner to remove the oil.

Frank Martin
02-22-2014, 9:54 PM
If they work now,I wouldn't do anything beyond scraping off glue. Any oil on the threads will make them unwind and loosen in use. If you have any that are rusted and frozen you can use vise grips on threads close to wood handles and spray oil on threads. After they loosen up, spray with brake cleaner to remove the oil.

The threaded rods have a lot of rust and the wood also needs to be sanded and finished again, so I really would like to disassemble.

Mel Fulks
02-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Seems to me you have to remove the handles. In practical use most just scrape off the worst glue when there is a lull in work. Some don't like the idea of using vise grips but the threads by the handles are never engaged in use anyway.

Frank Martin
02-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Seems to me you have to remove the handles. In practical use most just scrape off the worst glue when there is a lull in work. Some don't like the idea of using vise grips but the threads by the handles are never engaged in use anyway.

My question is around how to remove the handles. Any idea how to do that.

Tony Haukap
02-23-2014, 12:29 AM
On the ones I have the handles have a pin that goes through the metal ferrule - it seems to me that any attempt to remove the handle would start by taking this pin out.

HANK METZ
02-23-2014, 7:22 AM
It ain't rocket science, here's a link to a bunch of clamp kits, (https://www.google.com/search?q=handscrew+clamp+kit&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=9Nu&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yOcJU9HNGKGfyQH40oDAAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1265&bih=724) one visual tells the whole story.

Gary Kman
02-23-2014, 1:15 PM
Google "Jorgensen handscrew" and click "image".
A photo will show the pins through the handles.

I'm always amazed at recommendations for oil on rusted parts.
Oil (including WD40) is such a poor choice that I have seen it lubricate a rusted bolt good enough to allow the oversized rusted section to screw into the female thread and stick hard enough to break. Name brand aerosol rusty bolt products contain acid which remove the rust. I hate the smell of all of them but that's life. Mopar from the Dodge/Chrysler parts counter is my favorite.

Tony Haukap
02-23-2014, 8:11 PM
A photo will show the pins through the handles.In looking at the 'kits' it appears that in addition to the handles being pinned, they are probably screwed onto the rods. You will most likely need a nut threaded onto the rod backed up with a jam nut to be able to keep the rod from turning then a strap wrench on the handle to unscrew it. Seems like a lot of work to go through. If they're rusted bad enough that they no longer work, these things aren't all that expensive (and are still made in the USA!), maybe it's time for some new ones?