PDA

View Full Version : Computer Network Router Help

George Bokros
02-22-2014, 7:35 PM
I have been having trouble with the home network router. It seem to hang, what I mean is that the computer (PC) hard wired to it cannot access the internet but if I power down the router and power it back up the problem clears up. Also the computer that is hard wired is also where all my files reside so they are backed up daily to the Norton server, sometimes I cannot access the files from the laptop but again if I reboot the router all is well until it happens again. This happens several times a day. Sometimes it even locks up when using the hardwired computer.

Is this a sign my router is in need or replacement? I am thinking so since rebooting it clears the issue temporarily.

Can someone recommend a replacement?

Thanks

George

paul cottingham
02-22-2014, 7:57 PM
I would also consider that a virus may be your culprit.

Jeff Erbele
02-23-2014, 1:23 AM
Have you considered the possibility that your ISP-Internet Service Provider is interrupting the incoming signal? We had that problem with our provider so often (several times a day, everyday) we switched providers. We have a modem-router all in one unit and the indicator lights do just that, indicate if it is connected to the web. I'm not near the box, but I think it is the DSL light that indicates that.

George Bokros
02-23-2014, 7:04 AM
Have you considered the possibility that your ISP-Internet Service Provider is interrupting the incoming signal? We had that problem with our provider so often (several times a day, everyday) we switched providers. We have a modem-router all in one unit and the indicator lights do just that, indicate if it is connected to the web. I'm not near the box, but I think it is the DSL light that indicates that.

My cable modem and router are separate units. Modem provided by the cable company and the router I own. I do not have to to touch the modem to correct the problem.

Jerome Stanek
02-23-2014, 7:07 AM
I had that problem also I ended up getting a new router and all is better.

Dan Hintz
02-23-2014, 7:32 AM
What kind of router is it (manufacturer and model #)?

Lee Schierer
02-23-2014, 7:33 AM
Check the manufacturers website for your router and see if there is a software/firmware update or a FAQ regarding the problem. Or do a Google search for "My Router Brand name router hangs up", you may find a solution.

Maurice Hood
02-23-2014, 7:44 AM
George, has anything been changed (new router or modem box) with your network lately? So, you don’t have to power cycle the cable modem just your wireless router behind it is that correct? If so and you can do without your laptop for a time then unplug your router from the cable modem and plug your desktop (hard-wired) computer directly into the cable modem box for a while and see if it locks up when connected directly to the modem. If it does then the problem isn’t the router but if it doesn’t then it “could be” the router.

Chuck Wintle
02-23-2014, 7:56 AM
I have been having trouble with the home network router. It seem to hang, what I mean is that the computer (PC) hard wired to it cannot access the internet but if I power down the router and power it back up the problem clears up. Also the computer that is hard wired is also where all my files reside so they are backed up daily to the Norton server, sometimes I cannot access the files from the laptop but again if I reboot the router all is well until it happens again. This happens several times a day. Sometimes it even locks up when using the hardwired computer.

Is this a sign my router is in need or replacement? I am thinking so since rebooting it clears the issue temporarily.

Can someone recommend a replacement?

Thanks

George
as some have mentioned maybe google the problem with the make and model and see who else has posted regarding this problem. the other thing is the modem could be slowly giving out and its time for a new one. Or, as was mentioned possibly a virus or possibly it needs a firmware update. You mention that your files go to a norton server? Just wondering what this service costs? If you replace the router then a more capable and more expensive router might be the answer.

Curt Harms
02-23-2014, 8:46 AM
Check the manufacturers website for your router and see if there is a software/firmware update or a FAQ regarding the problem. Or do a Google search for "My Router Brand name router hangs up", you may find a solution.

I agree with checking on new firmware for a couple reasons. One is that I had a Linksys WRT-54G? that would hang. It had a VOIP adapter attached at the time so it was pretty annoying, a firmware upgrade fixed it. A second reason is that there are security issues with certain Linksys & Asus routers.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/bizarre-attack-infects-linksys-routers-with-self-replicating-malware/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/dear-asus-router-user-youve-been-pwned-thanks-to-easily-exploited-flaw/

Scott Shepherd
02-23-2014, 9:43 AM
George, someone posted something like this a couple of years ago, and I responded then, and I can now with more of an update.

We had router issues for months. Slow, dropping off completely, etc. I found dd-wrt and read through it all and it looked like a great thing to try. I installed dd-wrt on the router (it replaces the factory firmware) and the router hasn't been turned off since I updated it probably 2 years ago. It solved all my issues and it works far better than it did before. It's free, it's very powerful and it gives you tools your standard firmware didn't, like adjusting the signal strength for wi-fi. I really have been very happy with it. Before you buy another router, try installing it. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing
because you were going to buy a new router anyway.

Here's the link to it. Completely free.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Chuck Wintle
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
George, someone posted something like this a couple of years ago, and I responded then, and I can now with more of an update.

We had router issues for months. Slow, dropping off completely, etc. I found dd-wrt and read through it all and it looked like a great thing to try. I installed dd-wrt on the router (it replaces the factory firmware) and the router hasn't been turned off since I updated it probably 2 years ago. It solved all my issues and it works far better than it did before. It's free, it's very powerful and it gives you tools your standard firmware didn't, like adjusting the signal strength for wi-fi. I really have been very happy with it. Before you buy another router, try installing it. If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing
because you were going to buy a new router anyway.

Here's the link to it. Completely free.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
the problem here is that only certain models have support and if the flash to the new dd-wrt firmware fails then the modem is scrapped.

Scott Shepherd
02-23-2014, 11:00 AM
the problem here is that only certain models have support and if the flash to the new dd-wrt firmware fails then the modem is scrapped.

Which is why I said "If you are going to buy a new one, try this before you do, it might help. If it doesn't, then you've lost nothing".