PDA

View Full Version : PM3520a Hernia

Chris Barton
06-17-2005, 5:25 PM
Today I took apart my PM3520a and fitted the legs with 4" poylurethane casters rated at 450lbs each so that it could be moved when necessary. The casters lock so, it will not move after they are clamped down. I think I got a hernia when I lifted (dragged) the headstock off...

Clem Wixted
06-17-2005, 6:40 PM
Hi Chris,

Do the wheels have a threaded post or a plate with 4 holes.

In other words, how are the wheels mounted to the bottom of the legs?
Are all 4 swivel casters?

Clem

Chris Barton
06-17-2005, 6:56 PM
All 4 are single post 1/2" bolt on units. They all swivel and all have positive locks.

Ed Scolforo
06-17-2005, 9:40 PM
Chris: Awesome lathe! I hope you were only kidding about getting a hernia. Ed

Chris Barton
06-17-2005, 9:58 PM
Hiya Ed,

I was just kidding. Thanks for the kudos. I looked at Stubbys, Oneways and others but, found the PM3520a to be a best fit for me. I also own a Jet VS mini, a Grizzly VS mini and a Ridgid WL 1200 (12" x 42") and they are all great machines. The PM3520a is just the dream machine...

Bobby McCarley
06-18-2005, 7:03 AM
Hello Chris,
How much height did the casters add to the lathe? Where did you find them?
I also have a PM and would like to be able to move it around.

Thanks
Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Bill Esposito
06-18-2005, 8:37 AM
I'd need a step ladder to turn on that thing :)

I'd be interested in finding out how it handles out of balance blanks with the casters.

Chris Barton
06-18-2005, 9:50 AM
Hi Bill,

I have mused about that as well but, the ability to move the lathe around if needed was an absolute. Weighing in at nearly half a ton with the extension bed on board it is impossible to move with out wheels. The casters I bought have locking "gears" in them and they will not swivel when locked and I have tried to push it when locked and I can't. I will update you once I have tried the large out of balance blank test. In fact, I got the remote switch for that reason. The cord is long enough I can hide behind my Performax 22-44 across the room when I turn it on...

sascha gast
06-18-2005, 6:58 PM
i don't want to bust your bubble, but i had the same setup on my nova DVR that i used to have and it was aweful when turning stuff like that.
better would have been a solid platform and then something like a mobile base with low profile wheels.
you have all that weight with that awsame lathe and you're taking it away by putting it on 4 1/2" bolts.
just make sure and try to spin a piece that is very out of round.

my stubby 1000 is actually bolted to the concrete floor and wouldn't move if i tried. i can turn anything at any speed and it's solid as a rock.
just sleep another night over it and see if you can come up with a safer idea

sascha

Chris Barton
06-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi Guys,

the electrician put in the new circuits and I used the 3520 this evening. The casters add about 4.5" in hight but, because they are polyurethane they act like antivibration isolators. I turned some stock this evening and there was zero vibration and this was fairly out of round and about 15" in diameter. These are not your run of the mill casters. Also, this lathe weights in at 850lbs in its base configuration so that a good bit heavier than a Nova. So far I am very pleased...

sascha gast
06-19-2005, 2:35 AM
my stubby comes in at about 800# and i am glad it's bolted down. just be careful, once it starts wobbeling, there is no stopping it.

sascha

Chris Barton
06-19-2005, 8:17 AM
Thanks sascha! I will keep that in mind. If she ever starts to wiggle I will hit the remote off button and run.