PDA

View Full Version : The importance of floor color?

Stuart Welsh
02-22-2014, 10:05 AM
I know to maximize lighting and to make sawdust noticeable some paint their floor white. Others will use tan or grey, common floor paint/epoxy options. But other than light reflection how important is floor color beyond aesthetics? I've decided not to go with just plain concrete and am leaning to stain and sealer. There are limited choices compared to paint but still a range of color and light/dark. How important is it really to make obvious the sawdust on your floor? If comprehensive dust collection measures are used along with end of day sweeping or vacuuming is it really that important to use a color that shows sawdust? Color isn't going to prevent sawdust from falling on the floor while you work and certainly if you are aware of all the other hazards in your shop you should be aware that a slip causing amount of sawdust is accumulating on the floor. As for the lighting argument it seems that light is primarily coming from above secondary light is coming from reflection off walls. The surfaces we work on are 36" above the floor and any light reflecting off the floor would not be reaching the tops of our equipment or tables. The proper quantity of light from above is what would then be determining how well we see our work. So it seems showing or not showing sawdust is the real issue in floor color. Thoughts?

Dick Mahany
02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
I painted my 3 car garage shop floor with Armorpoxy. I used a tan color with black/blue/white flecks. To handle the slippery problem, I used the ground glass bead powder in a clear overcoat. It is plenty bright and sweeps up easily. After four years still looks almost new. One thing I really dislike is that when I drop any small item such as a screw, nail, washer, it is nearly impossible to find them. It does hide saw dust very well, but it hides everything else too. I now have a magnetic sweeper bar near by, but that obviously doesn't help for everything. I think white may have been a better choice, or omitting the fleck if I were to do it again. One benefit, is that the floor looked so nice after it was painted, I found myself sweeping and cleaning it more often as it was a pleasure to work in an area that felt good just to look at.

Michael N Taylor
02-22-2014, 10:45 AM
My shop is plain concrete sealed with a silicon base sealer and it has work very well for me. The concrete lightens as it ages and the silicon sealer keeps dust down plus seals out moisture without making the floor slick.

nicholas mitchell
02-22-2014, 10:49 AM
You're in a woodshop. I think it's safe to assume there's sawdust on the floor whether you can see it or not.. Colour doesn't matter. Nicest shop I've ever been in had plywood for a floor.

phil harold
02-22-2014, 12:47 PM
stained my concrete blue
my dog will not walk on it...

Mel Fulks
02-22-2014, 12:50 PM
stained my concrete blue
my dog will not walk on it...
Well,when he sees YOU walk on it....I bet he's impressed!

Stan Krupowies
02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I wasn't too worried about light or showing sawdust. I did my floor what I wanted which was red and blue vinyl tile in a checkerboard pattern. But I can certainly see my sawdust. It does sweep up nicely and glue drips don't stick to it. Had it for about 2 years and I'm still happy with it.

Jeff Duncan
02-22-2014, 2:05 PM
Light colors work best IMHO and yes it makes a difference with how bright your shop is. If you think the light just hits the floor and dies you'd be wrong. It's reflected all over and as such is noticeable. Dark floors absorb the light whereas light floors reflect it back.

As to what color, well the one you like of course! I've painted all my shop floors gray though it's just a color I'm used to. Tan might be nice as well. Don't think I'd want anything too "bright" as it might be annoying after awhile?

good luck,
JeffD

Stuart Welsh
02-22-2014, 7:20 PM
One benefit, is that the floor looked so nice after it was painted, I found myself sweeping and cleaning it more often as it was a pleasure to work in an area that felt good just to look at.

Nice shop. You might want to change your signature from Chevota Guy to Jet Guy! I see lot's of white machinery in there…like mine! ;)

Brian W Smith
02-23-2014, 6:02 AM
Stuart,agree on Dick's,"nice shop".Especially the bowed ceiling framing members.I've done enough of it to fully appreciate the effort.

Edit to add duh,sealed concrete here.

Tom Clark FL
02-23-2014, 8:51 AM
I painted my shop floor tan to HIDE the sawdust. It still shows up anyway.

Matt Mitman
02-23-2014, 4:04 PM
I've got a light grey epoxy on my shop floor. Whenever I get around to sweeping things up, it always surprises me just how much brighter that portion of the shop looks. Not enough of a difference to really affect work I guess, but its definitely noticeable.

Jeff Erbele
02-23-2014, 8:34 PM
I know to maximize lighting and to make sawdust noticeable some paint their floor white. Others will use tan or grey, common floor paint/epoxy options. But other than light reflection how important is floor color beyond aesthetics? I've decided not to go with just plain concrete and am leaning to stain and sealer. There are limited choices compared to paint but still a range of color and light/dark. How important is it really to make obvious the sawdust on your floor? If comprehensive dust collection measures are used along with end of day sweeping or vacuuming is it really that important to use a color that shows sawdust? Color isn't going to prevent sawdust from falling on the floor while you work and certainly if you are aware of all the other hazards in your shop you should be aware that a slip causing amount of sawdust is accumulating on the floor. As for the lighting argument it seems that light is primarily coming from above secondary light is coming from reflection off walls. The surfaces we work on are 36" above the floor and any light reflecting off the floor would not be reaching the tops of our equipment or tables. The proper quantity of light from above is what would then be determining how well we see our work. So it seems showing or not showing sawdust is the real issue in floor color. Thoughts?

The Facts Are:

Floor color or various shades do not indicate degrees of safety & risk levels.

Working shop floors have various degrees of dust, chips and debris. Clean as needed and appropriate to the situation.

Slipping on dust it is a matter of floor finish and foot wear. Floor color is no barometer. Floor finish, traction, attention to risks and taking care of janitorial needs are the imperative factors to safety.

Color is a factor with light reflectivity, but one can always hang more lights, use more efficient lights or turn off those not being used.

Being pleased with your over-all work place is a matter of personal preference.