PDA

View Full Version : General Finishes Armr Seal

George Bokros
02-22-2014, 7:31 AM
The can says to apply with rag or foam brush. I have not had good luck using foam brushes, got lots of bubbles in the finish. Has anyone applied this finish with a good natural bristle brush?

Thanks

George

John TenEyck
02-22-2014, 1:03 PM
I use paper towels with good results. Rags-In-A-Box, non-embossed variety work great. If you use a foam brush, probably any brush but I've only ever used a foam one, you have to load it up until it's nearly dripping, then apply it in one flowing motion and stop when you start to get streaks. DO NOT go back over it. Just flow out the next brush full, overlapping the end of the first if necessary to get to the other end of the piece. Then move on to the next row. It will all level out into one integral, level, coating in a couple of minutes. Any missed areas can be addressed when applying the next coat. For me, wiping it on is more foolproof, but putting on the first one or two coats with a foam brush does build a film faster.

John

Steve Schoene
02-22-2014, 1:51 PM
blue shop towels work fine. Results are generally better if applied very thinly. That's harder to do with any brush, compared to rag or paper towel.

Kent A Bathurst
02-23-2014, 10:44 AM
blue shop towels work fine. Results are generally better if applied very thinly.

Fer sure. I was skeptical when first told to try this, but it works great. I use this approach when I have varnish thinned down to wipe-on consistency, as Steve notes. I use the Scott blue towels on a roll, FWIW.