PDA

View Full Version : Laser issue

David John Evans
02-22-2014, 6:53 AM
Hi all
I have an issue with my laser on start-up it jumps around and now it has moved from it home position. I know on start-up they do move but it has never moved this much. I have no idea why this has started, all I can tell you is last weekend it worked fine. Monday night I lost power to the shed but it was turned off then, on Tuesday it started to jump around on start-up. If I move the axis with power off on start-up it is much worse. If anyone has any ideas please help me. I can still use it as I have cut out a spacer but I don’t want to damage the unit on start-up.
Thank you David

Dave Sheldrake
02-22-2014, 7:24 AM
What type of machine is it David?

cheers

Dave

Mark Sipes
02-22-2014, 1:11 PM
Pretty sure he is running a Epilog 35w.

Encoder Strip Cleaning?

Bert Kemp
02-22-2014, 4:06 PM
Maybe should mention once again to list your equipment in your signature. Makes it a lot easier to answer questions when people know what machines you have. Is that in a sticky or the read me first notes.??

Mark Sipes
02-22-2014, 7:13 PM
I pulled it off an old post about using Cermark... of course he could have 7 lasers. He lives down under so may be off line for a while.

David John Evans
02-23-2014, 8:14 AM
Mark is right it is a Epilog 35w. I did do a clean up of dust but that was after the issue. I do have a small video of it but I'm unable to upload it. I can still use it but it may damage the unit if I don't fix it. After work Monday I will unplug what I can and put it back together to see if that helps. Dave and Bert I will and the detail of my big toys latter.
Thanks David

David John Evans
02-25-2014, 6:36 AM
Well had a look today unplugged all cables and put them back in again it did make a small change. The unit is not jumping now but it still hit the back stops real hard and is still not at home.
David

Larry Alles
02-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Dave, you might check the belt motor on the right side of the laser. I had to replace the motor twice over about an eight year period. The bearings inside of the motor
just gave out.

David John Evans
02-25-2014, 9:45 PM
Larry
The problem only happens on start up and it runs smooth all the other times.
David

Kev Williams
02-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking you may have a bad home-position microswitch, or connection to one...

David John Evans
02-26-2014, 7:02 AM
Kev that sound good, I will have a look for the switch.
Thanks David

David John Evans
02-27-2014, 6:30 AM
I had a look last night and found a roller had popped out but not the problem. I did find that when I moved the Y axis to the end it started to go mad the only way to stop it was to turn it off. Could it be the CCA where the ribbon cable plugs into?
David

Joe Hillmann
02-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Have you contacted Epilog yet?

Kev Williams
02-27-2014, 1:04 PM
I did find that when I moved the Y axis to the end it started to go mad the only way to stop it was to turn it off.
Which end, home position or otherwise?

David John Evans
02-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Kev it was bottom left side that she went mad.
Joe that will be my next step.
David

David John Evans
03-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Brian from Epilog rocks. It was the encoder strips that needed to be cleaned. Now the only issue is that the X axis cuts like a square wave signal instead of dead straight. Any ideas as I have cleaned the X axis encoder strip to.
David