PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Speedy 300

Steve Crawford
02-22-2014, 3:55 AM
Hello all, this is my first posting.
I'm on the verge of placing an order for a Trotec Speedy 300, and would like to hear experiences of owners, both good and bad of the company and equipment before I do. I'm based in the UK and will be mostly working with wood and acrylic.

many thanks, Steve

Keith Outten
02-22-2014, 6:38 AM
Steve,

Welcome to SawMill Creek.

You will find a large group of Trotec owners here. My sign company owns a Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt machine that is a real work horse. I'm sure you will find Trotec to be a solid partner with excellent tech support. About three years ago I was looking for a new laser engraver and based on the advice I received here I decided to purchase my Speedy 300 and I couldn't be happier with my machine. Trotec provides great hardware coupled with the best software I have ever used and their software upgrades are always impressive.

The Speedy 300 is fast.....much faster than the numbers suggest so it takes a lot of work to keep them busy.

Dave Sheldrake
02-22-2014, 7:28 AM
Hi Steve,

Engraving or cutting or a bit of both?

cheers

Dave

Mike Null
02-22-2014, 8:29 AM
I'm in my 7th year with zero parts outlay and only one day of lost time. Besides being the best design and best construction I've found it is the fastest machine on the market.

That is the rub. When I bought mine the 45 watt version was the extent of my budget. (45's were more expensive then than 80's are today) But the machine speed can't be utilized on many materials, wood being a good example, unless you have matching power. I would advise stretching yourself as far as you can power wise. Go to an 80 watt if it's at all possible.

Even if you can't the 60 watt is still a heavy duty production machine.

Steve Crawford
02-22-2014, 9:09 AM
Hi guys,

that all sounds like really good news. To answer the questions I've been asked... I'm planning to invest in an 80 watt unit with an Atmos Mono Plus extraction system and a rotary attachment for doing trophies and glassware. I intend to do lots of cutting as well as engraving, particularly wood and Perspex materials, but will just have to see what other jobs come along. I'm very interested in producing things like toys and architectural models for visualisation as well as templates in MDF for other artists. I expect to get work producing signs and things like bespoke packaging and the like. I was very impressed when I had a look-see at Trotec early last week for a couple of hours.

Cheers, Steve

Dave Sheldrake
02-22-2014, 1:39 PM
I'm very interested in producing things like toys

Oh dear :(

cheers

Dave

Scott Shepherd
02-22-2014, 1:56 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Steve! I've been using lasers since 2007, so this is my 7th year. As a machinist that made and built a lot of high speed machines in my previous career, I can tell you that hands down, the Speedy 300 is the most well built machine in the industry. The mechanical engineering side of the machine is just in a league of it's own. The Universals are really well built, but the Trotec Speedy 300 really is rock solid. Personally, I think the 300 is the best machine in their line up. It's just been around so long now that it's really refined in it's design.

From the quality of build issue, I don't think you'll find anything that beats it.

Steve Crawford
02-22-2014, 4:08 PM
Oh dear :(

cheers

Dave

Lol... Please elaborate Dave

cheers, Steve

Dave Sheldrake
02-22-2014, 7:31 PM
You are in the UK Steve?

Toy Regulations are my daily nightmare and the biggest single conformance running expense I have.

https://www.gov.uk/toy-manufacturers-and-their-responsibilities

3 products cost me £40k in paperwork to get running properly and fully compliant. (none of mine are designed for under 36 months age bracket) Close to 1,000 pages of paperwork and files as well as external safety testing.

One of the hardest to get compliance is doll houses....I just gave up with them in the end.

cheers

Dave

Robert Tepper
02-22-2014, 9:12 PM
I have a Trotec Rayjet with 80 watts. Have had the machine for 19 months, it is a workhorse.
Excellent choice and welcome.

Robert

Steve Crawford
02-22-2014, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dave. I am indeed in the UK. I might have to rethink that then, however it didn't really mean toys for children, I had something entirely different in mind... But I'll still have to tread carefully. Thanks again for the reality check.

Cheers, Steve

David Somers
02-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Steve,

Trying to talk Dave Sheldrake into moving out here to Seattle.....apparently, what I thought was regulatory heck for most things is really the wild west compared to the UK. Maybe you could go in on a moving barge with him and save a bit?? <grin>

Dave

Dan Hintz
02-23-2014, 7:23 AM
Trying to talk Dave Sheldrake into moving out here to Seattle...

I'll tell him to stop by for a beer on his way moving to the D.C./Balto area :D

Dave Sheldrake
02-23-2014, 8:22 AM
:)

I am moving but only 170 miles not 3,500 :)

cheers

Dave

Dan Hintz
02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
What's an extra 3,300 miles between friends...? :D

Dave Sheldrake
02-23-2014, 12:09 PM
What's an extra 3,300 miles between friends...? :D

A lot of swimming :)

Scott Shepherd
02-23-2014, 2:37 PM
:)

I am moving but only 170 miles not 3,500 :)

cheers

Dave

170 miles from anywhere in the UK is in the middle of the ocean, isn't it? :D Might as well swim a little further ;)

Dave Sheldrake
02-23-2014, 6:07 PM
I hate you guys :)

I'm off to South Wales, middle of the valleys :)

cheers

Dave

Steve Crawford
03-06-2014, 2:35 PM
Well my equipment arrived today :-) now I'm waiting for commissioning and training next Monday. Very pleased so far!

Mike Null
03-06-2014, 2:40 PM
Congratulations!!!

Scott Shepherd
03-06-2014, 6:54 PM
Well my equipment arrived today :-) now I'm waiting for commissioning and training next Monday. Very pleased so far!

Monday? You'll have put 2 coats of wax on the cabinet and had 4 sleepless nights by then :)

Steve Crawford
03-12-2014, 4:19 AM
Monday? You'll have put 2 coats of wax on the cabinet and had 4 sleepless nights by then :)
You were right about the sleepless nights, but it was more like 2 than 4! Here's a first attempt at a ceramic tile and my branding on the bottom of a bowl. Having a lot of fun!

Cheers, Steve