PDA

View Full Version : Debate is over

PeterTorresani
02-21-2014, 10:47 PM
There have been a few threads over the years on whether an attached or detached shop is better. I think the photo below ends the debate. I don't want to start another thread that turns into a climate change debate, but boy has this winter been long and cold.

A foot of snow and a lot of wind

David Weaver
02-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Duck dive...like a surfer!

Yonak Hawkins
02-21-2014, 11:23 PM
It looks sad and lonely out there.

Rick Moyer
02-21-2014, 11:45 PM
It looks sad and lonely out there.
Yeah, but that building just needs some warm lighting and a wood stove and it would scream " warm and inviting".

scott vroom
02-22-2014, 12:22 AM
C'mon man, it's not like you're crossing the north pole to get there....quit making excuses and start making sawdust :)

Dave Anthony
02-22-2014, 2:55 AM
Well, I don't know ...yes, it looks mighty cold and that is a lot of snow; still that's a mighty nice looking shop and a lot of room to expand. I'm from sunny California... no snow but space is at a premium. There are trade offs in life.

Victor Robinson
02-22-2014, 3:21 AM
Well, I don't know ...yes, it looks mighty cold and that is a lot of snow; still that's a mighty nice looking shop and a lot of room to expand. I'm from sunny California... no snow but space is at a premium. There are trade offs in life.

What he said.

glenn bradley
02-22-2014, 4:53 AM
You're right. Debate over. Detached is definitely better. It looks wonderfully peaceful and isolated out there. A little slice of heaven away from everything else.

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2014, 6:46 AM
Please tell me there is a loader plow enabled Johnny Green, Kubby Orange, NewHi Blue, or one of the Yeller or Red cousins on site?? That should have been bought before the detached in MN. Besides you want pallet forks on a loader to get the wood and real tools in.

Debate Over
Utility Tractor and Detached Heated

Jim Matthews
02-22-2014, 7:10 AM
That's the nicest looking ice fishing hut, I've ever seen.
Lake Winnipesaukee is the nearest place around here with something so grand.

Perhaps a powered winch to provide access to that hayloft window would help?
No shoveling required. Last I heard, iffa guywazta put up a slide, youse cen charge a mission.

eugene thomas
02-22-2014, 7:12 AM
Just need a little deere with snow blower.....

Peter Quinn
02-22-2014, 7:13 AM
There have been a few threads over the years on whether an attached or detached shop is better. I think the photo below ends the debate. I don't want to start another thread that turns into a climate change debate, but boy has this winter been long and cold.

A foot of snow and a lot of wind

I was recently told this has been the warmest January on record........just apparently not there.....or here.......or most of the country! My nest thermostat sent me an email recently telling me its been very cold, told me exactly how many hours my boiler has run......ouch. That I didn't need. Whats a polar vortex? My back yard in Connecticut looks similar, though probably 20 degrees warmer....a balmy 17 degrees this morning. I've always felt detached shops were preferable in every way except heat load, or cooling load depending on climate. Its the cost associated with defending the detached space, heating it, plowing it, electrifying it, that keeps those of us with attached or subterranean shops in our diminished but comfortable and affordable situations. My shop at present is a comfortable 58 degrees with no heat source. That I can live with. The original geothermal heat source.....a basement!'

Cheer up......my local weather forecast says it will be warm again by June, and most of the snow should melt by then too.

HANK METZ
02-22-2014, 7:20 AM
All it needs is some flower boxes to warm it up... :D

johnny means
02-22-2014, 8:48 AM
I think the your real mistake was getting snowed out and not snowed in. Picture it, a stocked bar and fridge. "Yeah, honey, I'll come fix that toilet as soon as this snow clears."

glenn bradley
02-22-2014, 9:58 AM
That's the nicest looking ice fishing hut, I've ever seen

I just sprayed coffee on my monitor :D

phil harold
02-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Should be a picture of the house from the shop
snowed in at the shop is the real slice of heaven...

I think the your real mistake was getting snowed out and not snowed in. Picture it, a stocked bar and fridge. "

keith micinski
02-22-2014, 10:12 AM
A lot of people from California chiming in about how you should just tough it out and get out in it. After 4 months of toughing it out, it really does get that bad that you don't want to shovel another foot. Luckily or unluckily my shop is attached to my detached garage so I have no choice but to keep a good shoveled path open.

ken masoumi
02-22-2014, 10:34 AM
I know what you mean ,as much as I try to ignore the snow and just get on with a project,I must admit ,with all that snow it's a bit harder to stay motivated but so far so good.

Bill Huber
02-22-2014, 10:42 AM
The craftsman of yesteryear had to walk to their shops in 3 foot of snow up hill both ways but they still made furniture that lasted for ever.

Well that is what I have been told, so get out there and make something.....

Michael Mahan
02-22-2014, 11:07 AM
OK ,
You Know it snows there & you didn't plan for that ?
If you that much of a candy butt , you should made a covered, glass enclosed walk way to the shop
That's a expensive looking building you have there & it never entered your mind when planning the shop that you'd have to deal with snow ? Really ! L O L

Jerry Olexa
02-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Get yourself a woodstove and burn up the scraps while you're working....

Lee Reep
02-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Yeah, but that building just needs some warm lighting and a wood stove and it would scream " warm and inviting".

And maybe a cot or hide-a-bed, so you could just live out there. I was going to also suggest a refrigerator, but you have one right outside the door!

Steve Rozmiarek
02-22-2014, 12:13 PM
When mine looks like that, thats the best times! When the snow is deep, and the cold is intense, the 5-9 work slows down, and I can spend some time trying to find sanity in there. More snow=better in my life.

richard poitras
02-22-2014, 12:49 PM
All my shops have been attached and I love em that way but I still have to snow blow a path out the side of the shop to get to the wood pile to keep the shop warm …

HANK METZ
02-22-2014, 2:30 PM
I know what you mean ,as much as I try to ignore the snow and just get on with a project,I must admit ,with all that snow it's a bit harder to stay motivated but so far so good.

This reminds me of the old saying about the outhouse: too close in the summer, too far in the winter. :rolleyes:

Charles Coolidge
02-22-2014, 3:06 PM
Meh I dare it to snow! Kubota B2920 29HP Diesel 4x4

ray hampton
02-22-2014, 5:21 PM
Meh I dare it to snow! Kubota B2920 29HP Diesel 4x4

why do you have the triangles on the seat, CAN NOT the drivers see a machine wayyy biger then the triangle,,I WANT THIS MACHINE

Charles Coolidge
02-22-2014, 5:49 PM
why do you have the triangles on the seat, CAN NOT the drivers see a machine wayyy biger then the triangle,,I WANT THIS MACHINE

You have the government to thank for the triangles. You can drive your tractor on a public road for short distances to get to your various fields and property but you have to display the triangle. It was the first thing I removed!

keith micinski
02-22-2014, 6:13 PM
You guys are missing the point. Those tractors dont run themselves. After spending 2-3 hours clearing out your driveway the only thing you want to do is nothing and you would preferably do it in a warm place. The tractor is fun to get out in November and plow the driveway for the first time. By mid January there is no fun left and it is just miserable cold work. Plus the triangle isn't for visibility. It's called a slow movig vehicle triangle. To let motorists know they're coming up on something that is moving at a tenth of the speed they are and by no means is it a bad idea to have one on your slow moving vehicle.

ray hampton
02-22-2014, 6:16 PM
You have the government to thank for the triangles. You can drive your tractor on a public road for short distances to get to your various fields and property but you have to display the triangle. It was the first thing I removed!

THIS triangle make sense as much sense as using elephants to control MICE, if you can not see the elephants , then how will you see the MICE

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2014, 6:51 PM
You guys are missing the point. Those tractors dont run themselves. After spending 2-3 hours clearing out your driveway the only thing you want to do is nothing and you would preferably do it in a warm place. The tractor is fun to get out in November and plow the driveway for the first time. By mid January there is no fun left and it is just miserable cold work. Plus the triangle isn't for visibility. It's called a slow moving vehicle triangle. To let motorists know they're coming up on something that is moving at a tenth of the speed they are and by no means is it a bad idea to have one on your slow moving vehicle.
With the right size tractor you are not spending 2-3 hours at all unless your lane is a mile long. I always look for a reason to add a 3pt 72" snowblower but so far the 72" blade is all I have needed.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/nissandeere1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/3.jpg

Jeff Erbele
02-22-2014, 7:37 PM
THIS triangle make sense as much sense as using elephants to control MICE, if you can not see the elephants , then how will you see the MICE

Actually the SMV emblem and laws that require them do make sense and save lives. Just like OSHA, building, fire & safety codes, universal road signage, etc., a significant number of people died or were injured before those requirements were implemented. Raised on a farm and with a commercial drivers license CDL-A I have a great appreciation for it.
A Historical Perspective of the SMV Emblem (http://fabe.osu.edu/node/1377)

keith micinski
02-22-2014, 8:36 PM
With the right size tractor you are not spending 2-3 hours at all unless your lane is a mile long. I always look for a reason to add a 3pt 72" snowblower but so far the 72" blade is all I have needed.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/nissandeere1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/3.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA, thats a lawn tractor. I just checked the average snow fall in Bloomington IL is 16 inches FOR THE YEAR. We got that in TWO days last week. And sadly enough my driveway is 500 feet long and I have a large turn around area also. The biggest problem people don't realize is when you get 2-4 inches you just push it out of the way and go. When you get 8-10 inches a week for months and the snow rarely melts you run out of room to push very quickly and then it becomes much slower to start picking it up and finding somewhere to put it all. I do like that front bucket on that mower though:D

ray hampton
02-22-2014, 8:53 PM
Actually the SMV emblem and laws that require them do make sense and save lives. Just like OSHA, building, fire & safety codes, universal road signage, etc., a significant number of people died or were injured before those requirements were implemented. Raised on a farm and with a commercial drivers license CDL-A I have a great appreciation for it.
A Historical Perspective of the SMV Emblem (http://fabe.osu.edu/node/1377)

Jeff, you hold a CDL-A then you should understand that speed KILLS, being able to stop your vehicle WHEN something walks into your path are life or death, I had livestock appear from nowhere in front of my vehicle and barely got stop before I hit them , the farmers drive roads with a lot of horse shoe bends and a horse shoe bend + speed kills

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2014, 9:28 PM
Post up Keith. Lets see your 3000lb mower and snow moving gargantuan machine from South Bend.

I think I will keep my "small" tractor and not live anywhere near South Bend LOL.

With so many awesome CUT tractors out these days, if I was buying today I would not buy this big for 6 acres.

keith micinski
02-22-2014, 11:34 PM
I went the other route and instead of buying a fancy new one I bought a 1957 ford 850 tractor for mowing and snow removal. I don't blame you for staying away from this miserable climate I wish I was somewhere else also. Don't have one of my tractor but this is what I run for my day job so almost anything is going to be small.

Mike OMelia
02-23-2014, 1:10 AM
When I lived in Buffalo, I could remember the snow being deeper than I was tall. True. It took me years to realize it was because I was 3 years old.

Richard McComas
02-23-2014, 5:58 AM
Looks pretty normal to me.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/rmccomas0043/Snow%20Jan%202012/Snow20121.jpg

Jim Matthews
02-23-2014, 7:42 AM
The craftsman of yesteryear had to walk to their shops in 3 foot of snow up hill both ways but they still made furniture that lasted for ever.

Today's kids have a phone that shows them it's downhill, if they take the same path back.
I no longer doubt the story of Moses wandering the desert, forty years.

Why are so many things that are "character building" pointlessly difficult?

Jim Matthews
02-23-2014, 7:50 AM
This is why you never leave a cornbinder and front end loader alone in the garage.

That's not a lawn mower, it's the size of a Nissan Potempkin...
I would have my yard cut in about 4 minutes, with a 72" deck.

34 Hp in a lawn mower? Does your grass fight back?

The real trouble with all this snow is where it can go.
Uppa Heya, they seem to think the roads are plowed
so that you can push it out of your driveway and back into the street.

Peter Quinn
02-23-2014, 9:08 AM
Before he retired my dad had a firewood business as a hobby/side job. He used a Deere 4000 compact 4WD series in conjunction with that, used to plow his 75' of driveway occasionally with it...then he'd keep going out the drive way and do most of his neighborhood. Took him about an hour to do the whole neighbor hood. He figured by the time he heated the 40HP thing up it made little sense to do only his short drive. Most of the neighbors on the opposite side of his street had longer drives with houses set far back on the property, most of them had snow blowers that would take 1 1/2 hours to clear an average storm...so they appreciated a crazy man on a big yard tractor doing it in under 10 minutes. So now he's in florida...with the tractor.....I helped him haul it there....they have neither much need for fire wood nor much need for snow removal. But he still drives around the neighborhood on his tractor. My point is never get between a man and his love for his tractor....what ever size it is...and never try to apply logic to love, its not that kind of relationship! My dad has the orange triangle high up on his roll bars, its more reflective than the rest of the machine which really helps at dawn and dusk....you never know when you are going to find him out driving around the neighborhood.

Charles Coolidge
02-23-2014, 11:30 AM
34 Hp in a lawn mower? Does your grass fight back?

Its like mowing with a wood chipper, tall grass, tree limbs its like they aren't even there. Speak softly and carry a 5 foot wide rototiller I say.

Mike Heidrick
02-23-2014, 11:40 AM
I went the other route and instead of buying a fancy new one I bought a 1957 ford 850 tractor for mowing and snow removal. I don't blame you for staying away from this miserable climate I wish I was somewhere else also. Don't have one of my tractor but this is what I run for my day job so almost anything is going to be small.

Now THAT'S getting things done! Sweet!

Mike Heidrick
02-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Its like mowing with a wood chipper, tall grass, tree limbs its like they aren't even there. Speak softly and carry a 5 foot wide rototiller I say.

Put a Cat1 Quick attach on. You will love it!

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM

Keith, why is the payloader parked on that side hill? Story perhaps???

Steve Milito
02-23-2014, 12:48 PM
I have a little JD 4110 18 hp diesel tractor with a 48" snow blower. It's not a heavy duty worker but it can clear snow at a reasonable pace. Personally, I think blowing snow is the cleanest and keeps the really big snow piles at bay.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 1:05 PM
You guys were commenting on the SMV triangle signs. I think they are a waste of time too. Seriously, look at this tractor and see if you notice the SMV at all. I really doubt it's SMV will help drivers pay attention at all, there is just so much distracting stuff going on there that I think it's useless. BTW, I'm looking for a blade for this thing to use as my snowplow.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/lmoQD9pJ2-KhsWurff_SYXd7jXNekKQf0uCuynKm83U=w368-h207-p-no

Steve Milito
02-23-2014, 1:13 PM
BTW, I'm looking for a blade for this thing to use as my snowplow.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/lmoQD9pJ2-KhsWurff_SYXd7jXNekKQf0uCuynKm83U=w368-h207-p-no

. . . or you could just pull that tractor out of the garage to scare the snow away.
My local airport doesn't have anything close to that in capacity.

keith micinski
02-23-2014, 1:33 PM
Keith, why is the payloader parked on that side hill? Story perhaps???

Ha, well I was at another plant that day working on a bearing and I guess some how the guy that replaced me managed to back that loader down the RAP ramp and off the side. Instead of continuing to back down he freaked out and stopped and left it that way. They told me it was slowly slipping down the ramp so they thought it would be a good idea to go and get the dozer there and park it underneath of it so that if it rolled over it would destroy both of them!

Keith Outten
02-23-2014, 1:41 PM
This is my snow shovel or snow pusher is more accurate as I don't own a blade or a blower. I do have a set of pallet forks that I use to load and unload trucks and a 72" bush hog.

JD 4105, 40hp Diesel 4WD

ray hampton
02-23-2014, 2:16 PM
This is my snow shovel or snow pusher is more accurate as I don't own a blade or a blower. I do have a set of pallet forks that I use to load and unload trucks and a 72" bush hog.

JD 4105, 40hp Diesel.

your PALLET FORKS , are you talking about a motorized fork lift ?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 2:25 PM
Ha, well I was at another plant that day working on a bearing and I guess some how the guy that replaced me managed to back that loader down the RAP ramp and off the side. Instead of continuing to back down he freaked out and stopped and left it that way. They told me it was slowly slipping down the ramp so they thought it would be a good idea to go and get the dozer there and park it underneath of it so that if it rolled over it would destroy both of them!

LOL! It's funny after the fact, amazing how often common sense is proven to be uncommon.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-23-2014, 2:27 PM
. . . or you could just pull that tractor out of the garage to scare the snow away.
My local airport doesn't have anything close to that in capacity.

I like that! That's why its in the shop though, we need snow! Come to think of it, we've had flurrys since the guys parked it in there, you may be on to something...

Those sweet little tractors are much more practical of course, wish I had one.

Charles Coolidge
02-23-2014, 2:38 PM
You guys were commenting on the SMV triangle signs. I think they are a waste of time too. Seriously, look at this tractor and see if you notice the SMV at all. I really doubt it's SMV will help drivers pay attention at all, there is just so much distracting stuff going on there that I think it's useless. BTW, I'm looking for a blade for this thing to use as my snowplow.

Just attach the fork lift to the 3 point sideways and use that as your plow blade.

Keith Outten
02-23-2014, 3:46 PM
your PALLET FORKS , are you talking about a motorized fork lift ?

Ray,

I have a set of pallet forks that fit on the Front End Loader of my tractor where the bucket is in the picture.

Rich, if I lived in Eagle River Alaska I would join the ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING group :)

Keith Outten
02-23-2014, 3:56 PM
If I lived in snow country and owned a tractor a snow blower would be the first implement I would buy. I would also have a cab on my tractor :)
The safety triangle is required here in Virginia as well. I don't take my tractor out on the road much, last week when it snowed someone put their SUV in the ditch across the street from my house late at night and I was able to pull it out of the ditch during the snow storm.

Mike Heidrick
02-24-2014, 1:43 AM
Keith, Looks like the 300cx loader on that 4105. We have very similar frames I am guessing. Which forks did you get. Mine came from a 5103 and I just connect at the bracket above as the pins are too low on the model I got - I have yet to need to weld the new pins on.

With the CNC mill I want to make grapple arms for the bucket as well. Did you get a 3rd valve?

Mike Heidrick
02-24-2014, 1:44 AM
Pitch black of night that SMV will be very very reflective with a headlight.

Keith Outten
02-24-2014, 7:14 AM
Mike,

I purchased my pallet forks from a company in North Carolina, can't remember the name. I didn't get a third valve, it didn't seem important to me when I purchased the tractor. For the most part it had more features than I really need. The FEL is rated for 1400 pounds, the Kubota I had would only lift 400 pounds so it was a big jump in capacity when I went with the Deere. The downside is that the tractor weighs 4500 pounds so I don't have a trailer to move it with but its rare that the need arises.

When I ordered the pallet forks I also purchased a scrub bucket from the same company so I can transplant small trees and dig narrow ditches but the main task for my Deere is to unload Corian sheets from large trucks and transport it to my shop. Come to think of it the other night when I pulled the car from the ditch is the first time my tractor has ever been out of the barn at night.

You may remember that I started building a pulverizer awhile back, I still haven't been able to finish welding the angle brackets for the teeth yet. I hope to get it done before the grass starts growing this year.

Jim Andrew
02-24-2014, 2:20 PM
In Kansas, we have to have the smv sign and flashing lights, if we want to avoid being blamed as the cause of an accident, where some driver runs into the back of our machines.

Rod Sheridan
02-25-2014, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2229920]
I no longer doubt the story of Moses wandering the desert, forty years.

QUOTE]

Nothing a cheap GPS wouldn't have cured, either that or he shouldn't have been so manly and asked for directions..........Rod.

ray hampton
02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Ray,

I have a set of pallet forks that fit on the Front End Loader of my tractor where the bucket is in the picture.

Rich, if I lived in Eagle River Alaska I would join the ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING group :)

I think that you are talking about the forks that will pick up rolls of HAY , I never been close to this size of hay bale

Jim Andrew
02-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Ray, you can get fork attachments for skidsteers, and tractors. I have some for my Case skidsteer, find them very handy. When I get a delivery from a truck line, just put my forks on and unload pallets.

ray hampton
02-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Ray, you can get fork attachments for skidsteers, and tractors. I have some for my Case skidsteer, find them very handy. When I get a delivery from a truck line, just put my forks on and unload pallets.

thank you Jim

Keith Outten
02-25-2014, 2:58 PM
Peter,

Have we solved your problem getting to your workshop? All this tractor talk is just us hinting to you to buy a tractor :)

Ray, mine are pallet forks for lifting wooden pallets. The hay bale spears are a different implement altogether. I think the law requires you to have an air conditioned cab to bale hay :)

ray hampton
02-25-2014, 3:11 PM
Peter,

Have we solved your problem getting to your workshop? All this tractor talk is just us hinting to you to buy a tractor :)

Ray, mine are pallet forks for lifting wooden pallets. The hay bale spears are a different implement altogether. I think the law requires you to have an air conditioned cab to bale hay :)

thanks Keith, as for as cab with air conditioner, this would take money to buy more acres than the small farmer needs and it would be because of the dust not the heat

Charles Coolidge
02-25-2014, 3:36 PM
While I have a tractor today, when I lived in Upstate NY where we'd get 24" of snow over night I had a self propelled 8HP snow blower that would laugh at that little bit of snow in the opening post. I could blow snow clear across the street into my neighbors yard. :D

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2014, 5:24 PM
Mower with loader forks and baby bandsaw. ;)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/unload.jpg

Bandsaw also ends in 20.

David Hostetler
02-25-2014, 5:36 PM
You forgot to mention it was 15 miles in 3 feet of snow, uphill, both ways...

Well that is what I have been told, so get out there and make something.....