PDA

View Full Version : Tool chest PIP

steven c newman
02-21-2014, 7:26 PM
Hoping I have the right "size" to post here. Been working on a small toy, er, tool chest282990282991282992 Well, well, lookee there. End panels have sycamore for raised panels, front is Black Walnut. Back panel is similar, but made with Pine. One tray that slides on a single track. Saw till in the bottom holds four panel saws, and a back saw. Bottom well also holds a Stanley #31, three jack planes, and three smoothers.

Might, just might get this done, this year... First coat of varnish is on, more of a seal coat. Might try to get it down from the bench, when I can get a bit of help. This little box is HEAVY.:cool:

Jim Foster
02-21-2014, 8:57 PM
Looks nice. I don't think the pictures do it justice. What are the dimensions?

steven c newman
02-21-2014, 9:13 PM
height, counting the lid is 20". Width,counting the lid, is28-1/2" front to back is 18-1/2"

Just based on what I had in the shop for lumber. Even had to buy a couple sticks of Pine to make up the back panel.

Mike Allen1010
02-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Very nice Steven-a chest you can enjoy and be proud of!

Just think of the weight as a measure of your enjoyable trip down the slippery slope. I'm sure a future craftsman in your family will be appreciating your chest for years to come. Thanks for sharing the pics.

All the best, Mike

Jim Koepke
02-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Nice chest my problem with such is my back doesn't like all the bending over to retrieve and replace tools.

jtk

Judson Green
02-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Nice chest!

Don Dorn
02-24-2014, 7:02 AM
Nice chest my problem with such is my back doesn't like all the bending over to retrieve and replace tools.

jtk

Actually, I'd been considering building a larger tool chest. Currently, about 90% of what I use is on the wall behind the bench - it's very convenient but looks unorganized. However, you make a good point about bending over all the time as that is presently not an issue. Yes, they are exposed to dust, but for some reason, I'm not fighting rust. I think it's better to save the material cost and leave well enough alone, my back would probably appreciate it.

Anthony Moumar
02-24-2014, 8:17 AM
Nice chest, I avoided the bending over problem by going for a dutch style chest and making a stand for it. The main problem I had with a English style chest was that there's no way around having to reach into the bottom of the chest so a stand wouldn't work. The front fall on the dutch chest makes it work well while sitting on a stand. The stand for my chest makes it just the right height to easily reach in the top for my commonly used tools (bench planes, chisels, saws, ect.)

283171 283172 283173

The main disadvantage is that there is less space in the dutch style compared to the english. The stand kind of makes up for that but I only really put less commonly used tools in the drawers and cupboards.

steven c newman
02-24-2014, 8:18 AM
I guess that is why this chest has longer legs. Instead of sitting flat, it sits up about 5" or so. And, with my BIG feet, there is room for a booted toe to slide under the chest. Thinking of making a lift out tote ( or two) that will hold a basic "kit' of sorts. Then just lift out the tote, and get to work ( or something of that sort...)

Walnut was a stashed item, in other words....FREE!. I did have to buy some of the pine for it, though. right now, about HALF of the hand planes will fit in the chest. That includes about five block planes. Still looking at a way to store three coping saws in there, too.

Handles......Maybe, maybe not. Chest is sized in that I can give it a "hug" front to back, and lift it up. Just can't do it when the chest is full. first name is not Arnold Sch........