PDA

View Full Version : Watch the rust with the humidity

John Weber
06-17-2005, 2:55 PM
Hey guys, I normally don’t have too much trouble with rust in the shop. I heat to about 40 degrees in the Winter and in the summer try and watch the humidity, and keep a ceiling fan moving the air. Well to my dismay, I discovered some light rust on a fairly new LN #5. Years ago I learned a little rust lesson with my LN #62, but I guess I’ve gotten a little slack. Anyway, I have been using Camellia oil and though it was working. Now in camellia oils defense I put the plane away without cleaning it after a fairly long planing session with some white oak – so that may have been the primary cause. Anyway I’m back to using Boeshield T-9 or Topcoat followed by Johnson’s wax. Too many dollars invested in planes to see them rust. I think I’ll keep using the camellia old as part of my sharpening routine, but for rust protection best to stick to the big guns and clean your tools after use :-). Just wanted to pass on a little reminder.

I also fired up the dehumidifier, and while it really takes care of the humidity, it cranks up the heat in the shop. Anyone ever vent a dehumidifier outside? I usually only use it in the Spring on the super humid days with the rapid temperature swings. But with the high temps and humidity we’ve been having I figured I better run it some more.

Have a great weekend – John

Wes Bischel
06-17-2005, 4:47 PM
John,

Funny you should mention venting the dehumidifier. My dad, years ago, asked a good friend who was "in the know" about appliances a similar question. The friends response - "Yep, around here they call 'em air conditioners" :D :D When dear old dad looked at the energy ratings of AC and dehumidifiers, he ended up with an AC unit that used less energy for about the same money.

I guess great minds think alike! :rolleyes:

Of course this doesn't answer your question specifically, but it is something to think about.
Wes

Peter Mc Mahon
06-17-2005, 7:32 PM
Hi John. I don't know about venting a dehumidifier, but I had some light rust on some planes and I used the abrasive block from Lie-Nielsen. They actually use these blocks in the factory so you can not see where you have rubbed the plane. Peter

John Weber
06-17-2005, 8:05 PM
Duh, an A/C would be perfect, but I don't know if that would be good for family peace. Somehow a dehumidifer seems ok, but A/C in the shop now that would be over the top. Also I'll pick up a LN sanding block with my next LN order.

Thanks - John

Harry Goodwin
06-17-2005, 8:21 PM
Something that I found worked for me was that the tools do much better visibly displayed by a number of means rather than boxing them up. I have much less trouble with rust this way and perhaps they are visible and I spot trouble quicker. Harry

Bill Murphy
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Venting the dehumidifier won't work because the air that's coming out of it is dehumidified....or dry, "bought and paid for" air. This would cause a negative shop preasure and the vented "dry" air would be replaced by moist infiltration air.

Bill

Roy Wall
06-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Duh, an A/C would be perfect, but I don't know if that would be good for family peace. Somehow a dehumidifer seems ok, but A/C in the shop now that would be over the top. Also I'll pick up a LN sanding block with my next LN order.

Thanks - John

John,

I got one of those at the KCWW show........ it's a "Klingspor Sandflex" hand block - Medium grit - for cleaning and polishing... LN price is $5.50 so check it out other places.....

Michael Gibbons
06-18-2005, 9:29 AM
I've had my portable dehumidifier going now for about a month. Seems to be working fine. I love my can of Boesheild T-9. I like the smell too. No rust yet.

Mike

Tim Leo
06-18-2005, 10:19 AM
I have a small window fan that I put in the basement window. It blows the air out of the basement. It doesn't move alot of air, but just enough to keep the humidity down in the basement.

I also keep some silica bags in the drawers with the tools.

John Weber
06-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Roy,

Thanks, so have you used it? It kind of gives me a chill to "sand" a fairly new LN, but I'll get one and give it a try. I've seen them at the shows but always passed, the cloths are nice for the bronze planes (like your #2). Have you tried that thing yet?

John

Roy Wall
06-18-2005, 2:27 PM
Roy,

Thanks, so have you used it? It kind of gives me a chill to "sand" a fairly new LN, but I'll get one and give it a try. I've seen them at the shows but always passed, the cloths are nice for the bronze planes (like your #2). Have you tried that thing yet?

John

John, haven't used it yet.... I too -----am reluctant on the new LN'ss......

But, they have a "fine" grit block also....I've used the medium grit on old handsaws and they work very well.....they don't scratch.....so if I have to, I will try them out on the LN....Just the thought of it all - I guess:confused: :eek:

My planes just sit on the bench - it's in the same room as the furnace/ac so its cool in the summer - no rust yet (knock on wood)