PDA

View Full Version : In praise of handy little gadgets. . . .

Michael Ray Smith
02-20-2014, 7:55 PM
I've mentioned things like this before, but a couple of days ago I was using this little depth gauge and realized how often I reach for it for all sorts of things. I picked it up a few years ago in a box of machinist's tools. I've since parted with most of them, but I've hung on to this little guy and a few other things that I decided to keep for one reason or another.

Winton Applegate
02-20-2014, 9:24 PM
Amen !
And she's a Starrett.

Jim Koepke
02-21-2014, 2:23 AM
It would have a place in my tool cabinet if one came my way.

jtk

Derek Cohen
02-21-2014, 4:50 AM
This one is similar - the small Vesper double square. With the standard 4" blade you mark out joinery. With the skinny blade you can check depths or, as here, check for square in pretty tight places ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheChairTheFingers(part1)_html_m5c072719.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
I have one of those Vesper squares,Derek. But,I WISH he didn't do everything in metric. I think that might hurt his sales here in the USA when he goes to the WIA. He's coming here in October to see us again,before the show. Maybe for another round of knurl making.

Derek Cohen
02-21-2014, 10:51 AM
That's a good point, George. In fact I use Imperial more than Metric. Have you said anything to Chris. I'll raise it with him as well - he'll be staying with me in April for the LN Handtool Event.

Regards from Perth

Derek