PDA

View Full Version : A place to stick my tools

Matthew Springer
06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is a gloat or not in Silicon Valley. I went and bought a house.

For those of you geographically minded, it's in Sunnyvale, just off of Lawrence and Reed.

Kinda near that nutsy guy growing corn on top of 1k a shovel full dirt.

Pics to follow, but I'm a little swamped, they wanted to close escrow in 14 days.

Lee DeRaud
06-17-2005, 1:03 PM
I'm not sure if this is a gloat or not in Silicon Valley. I went and bought a house.

For those of you geographically minded, it's in Sunnyvale, just off of Lawrence and Reed.

Kinda near that nutsy guy growing corn on top of 1k a shovel full dirt.

Pics to follow, but I'm a little swamped, they wanted to close escrow in 14 days.Being able to buy a house almost anywhere today is definitely a gloat! Just try not to get too stressed out getting through the escrow process.

(Of course, my first reaction to your thread title was, "Hey, I didn't think this was that kind of forum!")

Vaughn McMillan
06-17-2005, 5:46 PM
Congrats on the new tool shed! If this is your first home purchase, you're in for quite a roller-coaster ride as you go through escrow, but it's all definitely worth it. (If this is not your first purchase, you already know this.) Is this one move-in ready, or are there some projects to do before you move in? We'll be looking forward to pics in the future.

- Vaughn

Jerry Clark
06-17-2005, 8:24 PM
Good Luck-- We will be standing by to help! I agree buying any house is a BIG GLOAT-- :D

Jim Becker
06-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Congratulations, Matthew! And I agree with Lee. Real Estate purchases can be a crazy thing these days in certain places and you're in one of them!

Tim Morton
06-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I know this won't get to much symapathy from you out on silicon valley....but a parcel of land next to us is selling for $150k for 5 acres...we bought 3 acres 4 years ago for 36k....I want to sell and buy a new house...but its too insane to even consider right now.

Congrats on the new house....I'm guessing they measure the lots in inches out there not acres?:D

Scott Parks
06-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I know this won't get to much symapathy from you out on silicon valley....but a parcel of land next to us is selling for $150k for 5 acres...we bought 3 acres 4 years ago for 36k....I want to sell and buy a new house...but its too insane to even consider right now.

Insane? That's right in line with any other major city / suburban sprawl of the western US. $150k is a bargain right now, for any parcel of dirt between Denver and the Pacific Ocean!

Beg, borrow, and steal to get your paws on a piece of dirt...

Bill Lewis
06-20-2005, 6:04 AM
3 or 4 years ago we bought our 2.24 acre lot for +/- $150k, now the 2.0 acre lot in front of us that sold for about the same amount is on the market for $595k. Talk about an insane market! I just hope it can keep going until I retire in 12-15 years and buy in some area like Tim's except with a less chance of cold and snow.
I was out in Sunnyvale/Mountain View/SV area a few years ago (LOML works for HP). Those prices are even worse than where I live. The really bad part about it is how little you get for your money.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2005, 8:12 AM
Congrats Matthew! Buying a home or a new tool shed can be a real experience especially in certain areas. I really don't understand how people can afford it these days. I know that incomes are typically higher in those areas but I wonder if the ratio of salaries to home prices is the same as in lesser places. We've bought 3 homes and sold two in the last 30 years and we have learned lessons with each one. Good luck and keep us posted!

Kurt Aebi
06-21-2005, 8:34 AM
As far as Tim's land is concerned, you all must realize that most major cities have a population that far exceeds our entire state's population! Around 500K for the entire state!

I bought my house on 5/8 Acre in 1988 for $70,000 and it was recently appraised (bank, not town) at $195,000.

That is what Tim was meaning - it is getting way out of control here.

Michael Gibbons
06-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Whats really out of control is the fact that people are willing to spend that kind of money on property. My inlaws who live just down the road about 400 yards gave my wife and I 3.5 acres so we could build. They have whats remaining of 80 ac. The person who bought the 40 acres next to us subdivided the parcel with some parcels of 2 acres selling for $50,000.00 :eek: My inlaws bought their 80 25 years ago for $500/ acre. Now thats more like it.

Norman Hitt
06-24-2005, 3:30 PM
3 or 4 years ago we bought our 2.24 acre lot for +/- $150k, now the 2.0 acre lot in front of us that sold for about the same amount is on the market for $595k. Talk about an insane market! I just hope it can keep going until I retire in 12-15 years and buy in some area like Tim's except with a less chance of cold and snow.
I was out in Sunnyvale/Mountain View/SV area a few years ago (LOML works for HP). Those prices are even worse than where I live. The really bad part about it is how little you get for your money.

Bill, I've got a little 40 acre farm and I would sure like to figure out how to transport it to your area. If you can figure out how to do this, I'll Split the Profit with you. :D :D

Lee DeRaud
06-24-2005, 3:37 PM
Bill, I've got a little 40 acre farm and I would sure like to figure out how to transport it to your area. If you can figure out how to do this, I'll Split the Profit with you. :D :DBring it out here: we should clear enough on the deal to buy a really big parcel...like Wyoming :p .