PDA

View Full Version : Casadei F205 Sliding Table Tilting Shaper

Larry Edgerton
02-20-2014, 7:52 PM
Any one used on of these[Casadei F205 Sliding Table Tilting Shaper ]or at least got a good look at one. I am looking at a SCM 130, and ran across this machine. Less money, but I have never used any of their equipment.

Larry

David Kumm
02-20-2014, 8:48 PM
Casadei is owned by SCMI and I believe built in the same factories. Maybe Erik will chime in. The machine looks to be well built. SCMI describes Casadei as SCMI with fewer frills and a lower price. I would ask if it is built similar to the T110 or the T130. T110 is tilting, T130 is fixed but heavier. You don't say if new or used but there are so many used T130s out there 5-6K and so few used Casadei that I assume you are comparing new prices. Dave

Erik Loza
02-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Larry, Dave is correct except that Casadei was it's own entity most likely when your shaper was produced (the Casadei acquisition is a somewhat recent thing...).

I'm not personally familiar with that particular model except to say that like any Italian shaper, they are all well built and a safe bet as long as there aren't any major structural parts which need replacing. Best of luck with tour search.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Larry Edgerton
02-21-2014, 4:49 AM
I'm looking at new.

Larry

Larry Edgerton
02-21-2014, 7:03 AM
The Casadei F205, MiniMax T 55 Elite S, and the TI 105 Nova all seem to be the same machine with weights all in the 1200 pound range. David you are right, the 130 I was looking at was that demo model in Chicago, fixed spindle.

I want to have readouts on the fence/spindle. My eyes are getting bad and setup is taking me more time as I get older because I just can not see well at that distance, glasses or not.

I kind of like the idea of a shaper with a slider and tilt as my work is all over the map so versatility is a huge plus. I had my heart set on a SCM, but the reality is that although I am still busy the end result is not the same as it used to be and maybe I need to lower my sights. The readouts on the fence are almost a must as I am spending too much time getting things set up. I am a bit afraid of the computerized ones, think I would just rather have the simple mechanical readout and manual adjustments. Downtime and big repair bills are not something my type of business can afford.

I'm subbing out the cabinets for a company that tried to get into manufacturing and failed but has a good sales setup, if I get a solid contract soon I will be buying a new slider to replace my old one and another shaper, so its still a bit up in the air.

Larry

Erik Loza
02-21-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm looking at new.

Larry

Larry, check your PM.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Peter Quinn
02-21-2014, 6:22 PM
I haven't used the casadei, but Im at a new shop that has a late model t-130, sliding table , fixed spindle, digital height gauge, the simpler fence with one sided adjustment, no digital reads not the fences. Its a fine machine, I'm loving the set up on that and the results I'm getting. Real great basic modern wood weapon. I'd love it if they had the better fence with dual micro adjustment and readouts. I'm spinning an 8" garniga tenoning head on it, up off the table to hit curved rails, spins it like its nothing.

nicholas mitchell
02-22-2014, 9:41 AM
I haven't seen or used that model of Casadei spindle moulder but I have seen other Casadei equipment in use. Like most Italian machines they're solid and dependable. Not necessarily the best fit and finish but if that doesn't matter to you then....
Go for the biggest motor you can afford. The slider is a big benefit imo for tenonning and counter-profiles, and an outrigger is extremely useful if you're doing bigger stuff like windows or doors. Does the F205 tilt forward or back? Tilting is great, but don't expect to use it very often but when you need to it's invaluable. Saves on cutters too as you can use your cutters in many different ways.
If you're going to spend that kind of cash you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't have a good look at the Felder F700 line. Or if you're considering minimax then look at the Hammer line.
Spindle moulders are great tools and remember you'll spend 10 times the amount on tooling as you do on the machine itself ha!

edit: Just saw a video on it, it tilts backwards.