PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Transporting a Large Drill Press

Tom Bain
02-20-2014, 4:23 PM
I may have an opportunity to purchase a Powermatic 1150 drill press for a very nice price. The issue is that I will need to pick it up and transport it about 100 miles in my F-150 pick-up truck. By the research I've done it looks like the weight is between 300 and 400 pounds and I'm sure its very top heavy as most drill presses are. I'm curious if there are any words of wisdom or advice on the best method for (a) getting the hunk of iron into my truck and (b) keeping it protected and secure during transport. I'll have the help of at least 1 other person, maybe 2.

Thanks,
Tom

Kyle Iwamoto
02-20-2014, 4:32 PM
Take the power unit off of the stand. Should be no problem after that.

John McClanahan
02-20-2014, 4:46 PM
Take an old blanket along. With the tailgate down and the blanket laid out on the tailgate and up into the bed, tip the drill press on its left side so the head will rest on the tailgate and blanket. With one person pulling on the blanket, lift the base of the drill press up and push it in.

John

Larry Edgerton
02-20-2014, 6:49 PM
Take the power unit off of the stand. Should be no problem after that.

What he said.....

Larry

Cary Falk
02-20-2014, 8:18 PM
I just got back from a 300 mile round trip today picking up a PM 1200. Definitely lay it down in the back of the truck. Take some 2x4s to block up parts you don't want to lay on the bed.

Kevin Womer
02-20-2014, 8:34 PM
Three to four hundred pounds! Those things must be built like a tank. Like others have said, breaking it down is the best bet. In college I used to haul bags of mulch inside an old Honda Civic hatchback. You definitely should have an easier time with an F-150.

fred klotz
02-20-2014, 10:05 PM
If you want to haul it laying down, take some blankets, as mentioned above, preferably furniture blankets. Also, take some vehicle tires (off the rims), to lay it on. They are great for cushioning heavy, awkward shaped items, and will keep things from moving around, rolling, etc.

Tony Shaftel
02-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Last November I bought a vintage Delta 17" drill press. The seller grabbed it by the head and rock-walked it over to my pickup by himself. Placing a big piece of cardboard on the tailgate, he faced the DP toward the truck, adjusted the table to about the middle so it would balance, locked the table, then tipped the DP over so the front edge of the table contacted the cardboard on the tailgate. Then I pulled the head and he lifted the base off the ground and we pivoted it forward and down so it was horizontal, head facing the front of the truck and base hanging out over thin air. We then slid it forward on the cardboard onto the pickup bed and tied it down. I think he could have done it all by himself.

Michael Mahan
02-21-2014, 2:47 AM
Last November I bought a vintage Delta 17" drill press. The seller grabbed it by the head and rock-walked it over to my pickup by himself. Placing a big piece of cardboard on the tailgate, he faced the DP toward the truck, adjusted the table to about the middle so it would balance, locked the table, then tipped the DP over so the front edge of the table contacted the cardboard on the tailgate. Then I pulled the head and he lifted the base off the ground and we pivoted it forward and down so it was horizontal, head facing the front of the truck and base hanging out over thin air. We then slid it forward on the cardboard onto the pickup bed and tied it down. I think he could have done it all by himself.large drill presses are fairly easy if you follow the above directions . Just be careful not to lean it too far over as you walk it around & yer fine
card board & mover blankets are yer friends , even an old carpet works well .
yoour way ahead of the game with a P/U , the bed height works to an advantage :D
I have mine sitting on a large HF dolly ATM while a remodel of my garage is happening

Alan Bienlein
02-21-2014, 3:40 AM
I bought a Wilton A5816VS that weighed over 400lbs and just laid it on it's side in the back of my pickup and it didn't move one bit on the way home.

Brian W Smith
02-21-2014, 6:08 AM
As posted above......

Some 2x4's,a sharp handsaw,and a screwgun are std. iron fetching equipment.Along with some good leather gloves,a pinchbar and the always present mini-maglite.Have fun and don't scratch the tailgate,haha.

Chris Parks
02-21-2014, 6:54 AM
Tied down properly it will travel standing up. I have recently moved a 18" bandsaw standing up with no issues. I guess if you are not familiar with proper techniques to tie it vertically then lay it down.

Tom Bain
02-21-2014, 9:33 AM
Lots of good thoughts here. I can't imagine transporting this thing upright going up I-95?!? It seems that laying in flat in the bed with some decent cushioning/blocking/tie-downs is as good a strategy as any. I'm going to have to move it 150 feet down a sidewalk to get it to the parking lot -- I'm hoping that we can rock it up on a furniture dolly and just roll it.

If I do end up having to remove the head for some reason, I'm assuming that's relatively straightforward? A couple allen bolts holding it to the column, as is typical with most drill presses?

Jeff Duncan
02-21-2014, 9:48 AM
Lots of good thoughts here. I can't imagine transporting this thing upright going up I-95?!? It seems that laying in flat in the bed with some decent cushioning/blocking/tie-downs is as good a strategy as any. I'm going to have to move it 150 feet down a sidewalk to get it to the parking lot -- I'm hoping that we can rock it up on a furniture dolly and just roll it.

If I do end up having to remove the head for some reason, I'm assuming that's relatively straightforward? A couple allen bolts holding it to the column, as is typical with most drill presses?

You don't have to imagine it at all….check out the similarly titled thread on OWWM with pics included and you can see how someone did one yesterday:D

JeffD

Bob Falk
02-21-2014, 9:55 AM
I bought and moved a PM 1150 last year. The head will slide down the shaft for removal (I used the table raising crank to carefully lower)....the head is heavy and I needed some help to get that in and out of my truck, but the head, table and base are easily removed from the shaft. I used a hand truck to get all the parts in my basement where I rebuilt the drill press. Other than getting the head in and out of my truck, I moved everything by myself. I replaced the 3phase motor with a single phase and rebuilt and repainted....works great.....a real beast. bob

Earl McLain
02-21-2014, 2:01 PM
A two wheeled cart or appliance dolly might be a little safer than a furniture dolly for the 150' stroll down the sidewalk. Actually, as i typed that--appliance dolly might make it really easy to lay right into the bed of the truck. Then strap the whole thing down and you're ready to unload. Would that work??

earl

Thomas Hotchkin
02-21-2014, 6:19 PM

Tom
Powermatic 1150 DP head stock has one clamp on the left side (facing DP from the front) When you release the head stock clamp it might slide very quickly down the column, watch out. If it does not move tap it with a hammer, then watch out. Just be ready it heavy. If you do transport in upright, which I did with a model 1200 make sure you lower the table and power head as low as possible. You will also need some blocking on the lower motor shaft to protect the bearings. Tom

Kent A Bathurst
02-21-2014, 8:10 PM
My 1150 VS traveled from northern West Virginia to Atlanta in my BMW 5xx.

Take the head off. Into the trunk. This is the heavy lift part. Gotta be 150 +.

Table separate [mine is the production table - one huge mass of steel]. Base separate. Post separate.

Base went in the back seat.
Table went in the trunk with the head.
Post rode shotgun, with seatbelt strapping it in.

Get some help. SOme serious help.o

I have 4 steps from the driveway into the basement workshop.

Got everything there but the head, enticed the younger, stronger, neighbors with some good beer. They got hte head out and onto a stack of lumber I had set up.

Then - combo pulleys on a hook to the joists [teh living room stayed up there]. A come-along back to a support column. Jack it up, brace it up. Rinse. Repeat. up to damn near the 8' joists. Get a neighbor to help align it as I let it down onto the assembled base/post/table.

You are gonna LOVE that DP.

Pat Barry
02-21-2014, 8:53 PM
Its too late I know, but that weight is far too much for a Ford. If its not too late, see if you can borrow a Chevy Z71.

JK

Tom Bain
02-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Nice one, Pat :-)

Jeff Duncan
02-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Its too late I know, but that weight is far too much for a Ford. If its not too late, see if you can borrow a Chevy Z71.

JK

Hey, back off the Fords man, an F-150 can easily handle a PM 1150……….or 4:D
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx268/JDWoodworking/pm1150.jpg (http://s762.photobucket.com/user/JDWoodworking/media/pm1150.jpg.html)