PDA

View Full Version : Spoon and Ladle Carving

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2014, 4:03 PM
I'm pre-brand new to carving of any type. I'm truly wanting to make spoons and ladles for my family. I'm not wanting to be a Professional Carver....I just want a couple decent tools to better enable me to make these spoons and ladles instead of trying to do it with standard chisels and whatever else I can find to try and carve the bowls of the utensils. What say Ye.!!???? :D

Ryan Mooney
02-20-2014, 5:12 PM
I've been squeaking by with a standard set of out cannel gouges. They work quite well for shallower spoons which is mostly what I've been doing in that regard. They fail horribly for deeper spoons and ladles (its possible but tedious and not very tidy).

There was a great thread on this a couple weeks back: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210029-Gouges-for-spoon-carving that covered the topic in some depth.
I've been seriously eyeing some of the spoon specific gouges listed there, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Joe Ruden
02-20-2014, 6:57 PM
I use a hook knife to hollow and regular carving knives for the rest.

Jim Koepke
02-21-2014, 1:49 AM
I have been using various gouges. Like Ryan I find them a bit less than ideal.

Hopefully soon a curved knife just for spoon bowls will be in my budget.

One important aspect of spoon carving. Check the woods you are using to make sure none of them are toxic.

There are enough food safe woods to avoid unknown species.

jtk

John Powers
02-21-2014, 8:49 PM
I would buy a hook knife and regular sloyd from del Stubbs at pinewood forge. I did in fact and they're great. You could do surgery with the sloyd and remove tonsils with the hook. But they really shine on spoons. Serious knives.