PDA

View Full Version : Flatbed Scanner

Mark Maslonkowski
02-19-2014, 11:55 PM
Does anyone use a flatbed scanner to import images that they then re-draw or trace. If so, what kinds of scanners are people using, or what would you recommend. I am looking to bring images in that I can work with to later laser engrave.

Thanks
Mark

Mark Sipes
02-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Most of the images I scan in are used for color sublimation. Today I get most images from the customers via .pdf or hi res jpg. My scan (Epson 1600) cost like $90. but produces hi res 1600 dpi images. The main product is the software to clean the art/image up . PhotoShop is what we use.

Bert Kemp
02-20-2014, 12:22 AM
I use an Epson V300, I've actually put objects like cell phone case's, knife sheaths, and other stuff on the scanner bed scanned them then trace them in corel, size them and cut out Patterns in leather with the laser. Works pretty good.

Dan Hintz
02-20-2014, 5:55 AM
I use an HP scanner that has to be going on 15 years old at this point... I'm surprised the OSes even recognize it at this point.

Mike Null
02-20-2014, 7:20 AM
I originally spent $600+ on a fancy HP. That was nearly 17 years ago. Mostly it gathered dust and took up a lot of space. Then I bought an HP all-in one. I still have it but haven't had it plugged in for more than a year. (fed up with ink jets)

My customers provide art that I can use or I will take a picture if it. Rare, but it works in a pinch.

Ray Beaty
02-20-2014, 7:25 AM
Can you please tell this newbie how the scanned images are transferred into corel draw for cleaning and tracing?

Michael Hunter
02-20-2014, 7:42 AM
Under the "File" menu, go to "Acquire Image".
Set the scanner device as the source, then get the image.

Having got the image into Corel Draw, selecting it should then show "Edit" and "Trace" bitmap in the top tools bar and away you go.

PS If you already have the scanned image on your computer, use "Import" under the "File" Menu.

Rodne Gold
02-20-2014, 8:33 AM
I still use one quite a lot , its an A3 Canon thats also pretty old. (10yrs+)
I use it now and then for rough scanning of printed artwork for digitising or redrawing , but mainly for generating jigs for odd shaped items , we scan the item , bring it into Corel 1:1 and then produce a die line around the perimeter for holding jigs, often just a raster to vector conversion is all thats required

David Somers
02-20-2014, 9:53 AM
This is a bit non sequitur, but if you think you have a need for a larger format scanner than 8.5 x 11 or 8.5 x 14, take a look at some of the all in one ink jet printers that have a large format scanner on them. We found that a stand alone large format scanner with a document feeder was priced wicked high, while the same thing on an all in one ink jet printer was far far cheaper, perhaps a fifth of the cost of the stand alone unit? We bought the all in one printer, used up the ink cartridges because we had them, and then never used the printer portion again. The scanner works great and does a fine job of large format document scanning.

Just FYI.

Dave
PS...admittedly, this was Govt pricing, which often is based on some odd factors in other galaxies, but in this case the open market pricing was showing a similar difference in price. It always amazes me what the printer companies are willing to nearly give away to get you hooked into their consumables.

Dan Hintz
02-20-2014, 3:16 PM
I found the scanner on our OKI All-In-One to be sorely lacking in terms of color quality... fine if all you care about is an outline for jigs, and it works great as a printer. But I wouldn't trade in a dedicated scanner for it.

Richard DiMaggio
02-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I have had EXTREMELY good luck with taking a picture of something with my iphone and using that data to import it into Corel. Pretty cheap. High resolution too.

Guy Hilliard
02-21-2014, 1:00 PM
I've been using an HP Scanjet 4c for quite some time now. I remember spending some ridiculous amount for it ($500 - 600?).

Max optical resolution is 600 DPI but that seems good enough for most projects.