PDA

View Full Version : What next purchase do you think would be the most useful...

Tony Wilkins
02-19-2014, 9:23 PM
I have about $140 saved up that I can spend on tool(s). Here's what I'm thinking...

1) A modeler's rasp with fine grain (have a larger cabinet makers with coarse grain)
2) finishing out my bench chisels (need 1/8" and 5/8" and have had need of those sizes on occasion)
3) hot glue pot and hot glue (been really wanting to try/use this - so far have like liquid hide glue)
4) just save it for something later on.

TIA,
Tony

Hilton Ralphs
02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
For $100 you could get a Gramercy 6" modeller's rasp, AI 1/8 and 5/8 chisels and then still have $40 to buy hide glue.

I think the Veritas 1/8" detail chisel is better than the AI and the Narex 5/8" bench chisel may balance out the numbers if buying from Lee Valley.

Winton Applegate
02-20-2014, 1:31 AM
As I always say : "I want it all and I want it now".
(and if I can have it I don't want it)
:p
Maybe if you get the glue heater/warmer I have you will have enough money left over you can get the other stuff too.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Express-Bottle-Warmer/dp/B001C3I1AA/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392877557&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=baby+botrle+warmer
That is unless you got a few other workers in your shop all needing lots of glue all at the same time then maybe you NEED one of those big honkin glue pots.
I don't

Jim Koepke
02-20-2014, 3:44 AM
My Auriou 13 & 15 grain rasps are used often.

My 1/8" chisel not so much. My 5/8" chisel a bit more. Though chisel sizes really depend on the work you are doing and we are most likely doing different projects.

jtk

Graham Haydon
02-20-2014, 3:44 AM
Hi Tony

Let your projects guide you..........Or do what many of us do. Ooooo, get me the new special shiney thing that look real nice.

Jim Matthews
02-20-2014, 7:21 AM
Which item is least specialized in application?

Brian Holcombe
02-20-2014, 8:15 AM
I'll eventually have mortise, bench and paring chisels in the full range of sizes. But this is due to OCD and not practicality, my 1/8 chisel has not gotten any use since purchase. I build furniture, so if you build small objects or boxes this may be quite different than your experience.

Most commonly I use 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1"

Tony Wilkins
02-20-2014, 8:28 AM
Which item is least specialized in application?

Oh, I suck at tests this early in the morning - a sharp rock? In all seriousness, the chisel but I do have a pretty full set I reckon. There's one I forgot - a knew concepts coping saw. That leaves the rasp from my original options.

Tony Wilkins
02-20-2014, 8:31 AM
As I always say : "I want it all and I want it now".
(and if I can have it I don't want it)
:p
Maybe if you get the glue heater/warmer I have you will have enough money left over you can get the other stuff too.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Express-Bottle-Warmer/dp/B001C3I1AA/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392877557&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=baby+botrle+warmer
That is unless you got a few other workers in your shop all needing lots of glue all at the same time then maybe you NEED one of those big honkin glue pots.
I don't

That's a good looking solution Winton. Do you put it in a glass jar or something and then in the bottle warmer?

Adam Cruea
02-20-2014, 8:37 AM
I've got an Auriou cabinetmaker's rasp (9 grain?) and a 15 (?) grain modeler's rasp. Great things to have around for any curved surface (the combination has worked excellently for when I make handles for stuff).

It really all depends on what you like making. While I don't use my rasps much, they are indispensable tools to have for me. The 9 grain is a beast of a hogger, and the 15 leaves a surface akin to 220 IMHO. I've actually yet to sand any handle I've made after going over it with my 15 grain rasp.

Tony Wilkins
02-20-2014, 9:01 AM
I'm leaning toward the rasp at this point. Does anyone have experience with the Sapphire coating? Trying to decide if it's worth it for me.

David Weaver
02-20-2014, 9:07 AM
Joel M from TFWW made a very good point about the sapphire coating a long time ago. There was an illusory post with a few rasp strokes and some grand conclusions about durability with the sapphire coating, made of course by someone representing Liogier.

Joel mentioned that in their uncoated rasps when they tested the rasps with some odd hundreds of thousands of strokes (or maybe it was more than that) with a rigged up machine that would tell an objective story, the uncoated rasps actually cut faster as they wore, and that the number of strokes in the test was beyond what anyone else would do.

I would agree to a point (i've never worn out a rasp) that the sweet spot of a rasp to me is when it has some wear from honest use.

I'd skip paying more for the coatings. We are, after all, gentlemen woodworkers and the idea that were going to have piles of tools that are worn totally out from use just doesn't really happen.

glenn bradley
02-20-2014, 9:17 AM
While you're making something what is the item on your list that you reach for but, do not have? That's the one.

Brian Holcombe
02-20-2014, 9:20 AM
David,

The dude's stolen rug was fantastic.

As a gentleman woodworker It's important to have well organized piles of perfectly maintained tools. if one were to compare the number of tools I thought I would need while progressing into handtools and the number it has caused me to collect, that would be quite embarrassing. Suffice to say I think the original estimate was outpaced by chisels alone.

Adam Cruea
02-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Joel M from TFWW made a very good point about the sapphire coating a long time ago. There was an illusory post with a few rasp strokes and some grand conclusions about durability with the sapphire coating, made of course by someone representing Liogier.

Joel mentioned that in their uncoated rasps when they tested the rasps with some odd hundreds of thousands of strokes (or maybe it was more than that) with a rigged up machine that would tell an objective story, the uncoated rasps actually cut faster as they wore, and that the number of strokes in the test was beyond what anyone else would do.

I would agree to a point (i've never worn out a rasp) that the sweet spot of a rasp to me is when it has some wear from honest use.

I'd skip paying more for the coatings. We are, after all, gentlemen woodworkers and the idea that were going to have piles of tools that are worn totally out from use just doesn't really happen.

Watch who you're calling a gentleman, buddy. Some of us roughnecks around here don't take kindly to them f*()in' hoighty-toighty terms 'n' stuff.

*refills gap between tooth and cheek with a wad of chaw whilst adjusting manly bits*

Gentlemen woodworkers. Pfft. Girly woodworkers is more like it. *gnaws on a hickory branch* Real woodworkin' is done with yer pocket knife and what few teeth you have remaining.

Paul McGaha
02-20-2014, 10:41 AM
David,

The dude's stolen rug was fantastic.

As a gentleman woodworker It's important to have well organized piles of perfectly maintained tools. if one were to compare the number of tools I thought I would need while progressing into handtools and the number it has caused me to collect, that would be quite embarrassing. Suffice to say I think the original estimate was outpaced by chisels alone.

I'm going to have to watch that movie again.

PHM

Jim Matthews
02-20-2014, 4:29 PM
*refills gap between tooth and cheek with a wad of chaw whilst adjusting manly bits*

If I could do that, I would never leave the house.
I don't suppose that's something to win talent shows.

But still - good for you.

David Weaver
02-20-2014, 5:26 PM
Gentlemen woodworkers. Pfft. Girly woodworkers is more like it. *gnaws on a hickory branch* Real woodworkin' is done with yer pocket knife and what few teeth you have remaining.

Right around here is where my dad shows me his milking muscles (he's got the fat fingers and stout forearms of someone who grew up doing a lot of manual labor and milking cows by hand).

And then he calls me a soft-handed pencil-neck geek :)

There's definitely a HUGE difference in how the hands of the old fellas who did heavy work day in and out with their hands looked. When you watch things, even like the axe video that was posted here by someone else, and you look at the hands on those guys, they're like big baseball mitts.

Then you look at our generation, and you've got guys who brag on their manhood and then fret about dirty fingernails or whether or not their fingers look perfectly hand model-like!!

Should we call ourselves gentlemen woodworkers*

* and adam the hickory chewing girly woodworker?

:)

Brian Holcombe
02-20-2014, 5:31 PM
Mine are perfect if you disregard all of the small cuts by chisel and plane blade.

Roger Rettenmeier
02-20-2014, 5:39 PM
I like # 4 ... later on. I have stuff that I thought would be useful for a future project ( yet unused). But then there is the " perfect tool" for this job that I am working on now. Unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket, # 4 might work

David Weaver
02-20-2014, 6:59 PM
I would spend the money on tools that will help you make more tools. A scribe, a good hacksaw and some good blades that will cut annealed tool steel, etc, perhaps an LN float.

Bryan Robinson
02-20-2014, 9:48 PM
get the knew concepts!

Winton Applegate
02-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Do you put it in a glass jar or something and then in the bottle warmer?

You got it.
Glue, espresso, hot chocolate. Keeps what ever you need warm. Can dial in the temp just right . . .
I hear it even warms baby formula (what ever that is).

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/noydb1/5c38da46-784c-45d9-a6fb-3ec16ca4a5f9_zps8ca5e5cc.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/noydb1/media/5c38da46-784c-45d9-a6fb-3ec16ca4a5f9_zps8ca5e5cc.jpg.html)

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/noydb1/Allyouwantandhot.jpg (http://s801.photobucket.com/user/noydb1/media/Allyouwantandhot.jpg.html)

Winton Applegate
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
As a gentleman woodworker It's important to have well organized piles of perfectly maintained tools.

roughnecks

I am some where in between. I like to hit a happy medium.

A Tool Turkey if you will.
And proud of it.
My finger nails only really get clean about once a week.
I use wrenches all day long.
When it is time to relax . . .
I like to do something different.
You know . . .
I go home, use woodworking tools,
or
get on line and talk about tools.
Once I get all that out of my system there are always my other hobbies like . . . shopping for tools.

It is important to be well rounded. Too much of any one thing, even if it is a good thing, isn't healthy.

Brian Holcombe
02-20-2014, 11:55 PM
If any of you characters are in my neck of the woods at any time let me know.

You guys are two people I definetly have to have a drink with.

Adam Cruea
02-21-2014, 9:00 AM
If any of you characters are in my neck of the woods at any time let me know.

You guys are two people I definetly have to have a drink with.

Where is "your neck of the woods"?

Do I have to chop down some trees to get there? Maybe wrestle a bear and/or badgers?

Brian Holcombe
02-21-2014, 9:37 AM
You could, but it would be completely unnecessary. I'm in central NJ.

Hmm, pretty sure there are no badgers...

Tony Wilkins
02-21-2014, 1:31 PM
You could, but it would be completely unnecessary. I'm in central NJ.

Hmm, pretty sure there are no badgers...
Just devils and apparently gardens ;)