PDA

View Full Version : PM planer/molder worth it???

Bud Zeien
02-19-2014, 8:29 PM
So I picked up a barely used Powermatic PM15 off CL for a pretty good deal, now I'm wondering if I should sell it for a standard planer or keep it. I'm not a fan at all of straight knives so it seems kind of pointless for me to have this model. I could switch out the head that's in it but I haven't even ran this planer yet as my shop has yet to be set up. All of the planers I have used had bottom rollers as well as top feed rollers while this one is a solid bed with all rollers being on top, which I like the thought of it as it is very hard to keep the bottom rollers adjusted right so they don't leave a dig on either ends. But my instincts tell me I'll have to be pushing the wood through because the rubber rollers won't have the necessary grip. Have any of you used the PM15? Doesn't even look like they sell it anymore which is a bad sign:-(

Rod Sheridan
02-20-2014, 8:58 AM
Bud, lots of planers have no bed rollers, and higher end planers have rollers that are easily moved below the bed.

Rollers are only needed for rough lumber, which you probably don't use in your planer ( I'm assuming you joint a reference face on the wood before planing).

Keep the planer bed waxed or lubricated and it should be fine..........Regards, Rod.

David Kumm
02-20-2014, 9:52 AM
Look at the distance from the chipbreakers and pressure bar to the knives. The weakness of planer molders is the distance needed to clear profile knives. Some machines don't have either and rely on only a cutter and feed rollers. They can work OK but won't compete with a machine that has both. Dave

Rob Damon
02-20-2014, 9:59 AM
I have had one for several years and I have ran 1000 BF of rough sawn oak through it without any issues. I have kept the bed waxed and it has been fine. If you only plan light use of it then the straight knives should be fine. When it starts to sound louder than normal, it probable past the time the knives should be sharpened. And if you do start using it heavily running 1000's of BF through it, they do make a shelix head for it. This other nice thing about this planer is it comes with a 5 hp motor, which is more than enough power to pull the biggest boards through. I ran a 12'longx 12/4 x 12" wide oak board through it and it didn't even work up a sweat. Rob

Bud Zeien
02-20-2014, 6:35 PM
The chipbreaker is adjustable, but I'm sure the pressure roller is not. I do love the fact that it is a 5hp motor, maybe I wont be when I see the electric bill!? If I do keep it I'm sure I will switch out the head for a shelix, makes such a difference. I really wish they made the head easily switchable as a planer/molder should be:(

Rob Damon
02-20-2014, 9:25 PM
infeed/outfeed Pressure rollers are adjustable. Here is link to manual if you did not get with the machine. Adjustment procedure starts on page 11. I bought mine new and it did not need adjustment and I have not had to make any since.

http://content.powermatic.com/manuals/1120003_man.pdf

Rob