PDA

View Full Version : Trying to match a piece of edge banding

Gerald Hurst
02-19-2014, 8:15 PM

This is a piece of edge-banding (I believe) that my wife handed me. This piece is one inch long and 15/16 inch wide. The front is wood grain and the back is a dark tan color. Both sides feel the same. Thickness is a fraction of a millimeter; about like a playing card. There is no adhesive. I don't know if this is PVC, melamine, ABS or polyester, but I would guess PVC or melamine. It is less stiff than formica, but I can't dent it scratch it at all with my fingernail. It would probably snap, rather than fatigue, if I tried to fold it. I can't test it because it is the only piece I have.

Where can I buy matching edge banding in, say 10-50 foot rolls?

Jerry

Scott Austin
02-19-2014, 9:53 PM
Woodworkers hardware or CHS have wood veener rolls. I actually have a roll that looks like your sample. Where do you live ?

Gerald Hurst
02-19-2014, 10:42 PM
This is plastic that looks like wood, not real wood. Plastic is what I want to find. Woodworker's only seems to have pre-glued and I don't want any glue. This won't be used for woodworking at all and it doesn't need any glue because it won't be stuck to anything. It is for a crafting project my wife is working on. I also need to know what kind of plastic this most likely is. CHS also only seems to have adhesive (PSA-style) edging. I live near Des Moines, Iowa.

Bill Neely
02-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Gerald, There is some on ebay right now - I sent you a PM

Jeff Duncan
02-20-2014, 10:33 AM
That's pvc banding and it comes in about a zillion different colors/woodgrains and several thicknesses. Yours is probably 1/2 mil or 1 mil. I don't know about finding small rolls, the stuff usually comes in 250 foot rolls and will run you something like $60 or so. Any sheet goods wholesaler can get pvc for you as well as many cabinet shop suppliers. The problem may be if you want an exact match. There are many companies that make woodgrain melamine panels with banding to match, some that are even proprietary. So if you were to go to one supplier you won't necessarily see all the flavors, just the manufacturers they carry. If on the other hand you don't need an exact match you should pretty easily be able to get something close. In that case I would likely go through e-bay as your more likely to find short rolls for less money;)

Where did the sample come from?

JeffD