PDA

View Full Version : How to: Center support for king size bed?

Ken Platt
02-19-2014, 3:06 PM
Folks - I'm looking for suggestions on how to support the center of a king size bed with some adjustability. I have found 2 hardware supports, here is one, the other similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Unibody-Adjustable-Height-Center-Support/dp/B00CMBK1TA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CXQMVSWRCKK6C417M7J

but I am not wild about them. They're kinda pricey, they don't look all that sturdy since all the weight has to go through the screw alone, and to boot neither gets quite high enough for my design so I'd have to add some wood in the center anyhow so the gizmo could reach up to the bed. I'm doing a mattress-only design, and the mattress will be supported by, in order going downwards, 3/4 inch ply which sits on 1.25 inch thick slats which in turn are supported by cleats on the rails and a 1.5 inch thick board running from headboard to footboard. The extra suppport will be for the midpoint of that head-to-foot board, which is about 17" off the ground.

Anyhow, if folks would share thoughts, or how you might deal with getting extra support in the center, I'd appreciate it. Pics would also be great. Thanks -

Ken

Steve Jenkins
02-19-2014, 3:56 PM
The easiest way would be to use a piece of 2x2 with a T nut and adjustable foot in the bottom and screw it to your center 1-1/2" thick board

curtis rosche
02-19-2014, 4:35 PM
Why so much ? My queen bed has no box spring, I have it on one layer of 1'' plywood. No flex or movement

Keith Westfall
02-19-2014, 5:15 PM
I think I would want to try it first before you get all excited about supporting it. Shouldn't be too much flex there and would one support in the middle do that much extra for you?

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2014, 6:00 PM
How dynamic a load do you expect :rolleyes:?

Maybe just reorient the 1-1/2" center board so that the weight is on the vertical rather than the flat of the board. The ends could be supported from rolling with
U shaped brackets not unlike joist hangers but made of wood.

Pat Barry
02-19-2014, 7:07 PM
You def need a center support on a King size bed. One in the center will do it though.

Ken Platt
02-19-2014, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Sam, I had thought about having the center support board be vertically oriented, but couldn't figure a good way to attach it to the head/foot boards in that position.

Curtis and Keith, the thing definitely needs support in the center; I've already built it and without a center support there is way too much flex if one sits in the middle of the supports. It's a pretty big span to take 2 person's weight right in the middle without some added support.

Curtis, I'm not sure I can picture how a mattress alone is supported by only 1" ply, if that ply is supported only at the edges. No other support? My current bed is a queen, and like most that I've seen has a metal bar running side-to-side in the middle. I actually thought of trying to repurpose that bar, but aside from not being long enough it's too low.

Ken

paul cottingham
02-19-2014, 8:10 PM
I ran a 2x4 down the centre of the bed and supported it in 3 places with a2x4 leg. Not elegant or pretty, but no one will ever see them. Hold my 270 lb. frame with my just fine.

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2014, 8:22 PM
Sam, I had thought about having the center support board be vertically oriented, but couldn't figure a good way to attach it to the head/foot boards in that position.

If the issue of attaching at the head and footboard is that the vertical would be too tall perhaps consider starting with 2" at the ends and sweep to 4" or 5" at 12" to 18" +/- off either side of center - or some variation of those dimensions. It would be easy enough to attach some sort of bracket at the 2 ends. You could also consider a piece of steel T-bar or extruded aluminum in a bigger profile but still T shaped.

Bruce Wrenn
02-19-2014, 8:23 PM
A 2X4 flat ways down center line, with adjustable cabinet feet (Blum, Haffle etc) attached. With box frames no longer made from hardwood, a center support is necessary.

Keith Hankins
02-19-2014, 8:28 PM
Ok, first, I'm a 200 lb guy and my Cal King bed does not have a center support and does not need one. My rail support system (not my design) utilizes a "T" design with a 2" slat with a vertical 1x1.5' slat embedded in a dado groove glued and screwed. with good siderail support. It's acts like a Beam. I've had it for a good time and no sag what so ever.

http://flic.kr/p/j9Hf6p