PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Projects

Josh Hulit
02-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Maple Kitchen/Hickory Kitchen/Maple Vanity

Dan Hintz
02-19-2014, 6:02 AM
LOVE the vanity. Not so excited about the back of the cabinets in #2... the changing color pattern throws my eyes off, particularly against the wall. Good work overall, though :)

Josh Hulit
02-19-2014, 6:59 AM
Thanks Dan. Yeah, looking back on it probably should have either book-matched all my panels or eliminated more of the sapwood. But the customers were happy. Was my first time using hickory, quite a challenge in itself.

Mike Wilkins
02-19-2014, 9:15 AM
Love that vanity. I have seen a large kitchen done in Hickory, and it is a busy look. but like your clients, these homeowners were pleased.

Mike McCann
02-19-2014, 3:03 PM
awesome vanity

glenn bradley
02-19-2014, 3:07 PM
Another "Love the vanity" here. I also really like the hickory work.

Josh Hulit
02-19-2014, 6:35 PM
Thanks everybody! Always nice to hear opinions from fellow woodworkers.

Phil Thien
02-19-2014, 6:52 PM
I like it all. But you said the vanity is maple. I see maple drawers, was the rest of the vanity maple that was dyed/stained? What products did you employ to achieve that finish?

alex grams
02-19-2014, 9:20 PM
I actually like the hickory kitchen the most. I think while hickory sap/heartwood can risk giving a busy look, it is actually well balanced and very unique in my opinion.

Andy Cree
02-19-2014, 9:23 PM
All are very nice, but I have to give the nod to the vanity - it is excellent!

Andy

Josh Hulit
02-20-2014, 1:02 PM
Yes Phil, the entire vanity is maple. The darker portions have GF Pre-Stain Conditioner, 1 coat GF Vintage Cherry Dye Stain, 1 coat MLC Krystal Sealer. I then top-coated the entire piece with 2 coats of MLC Krystal. Thanks again.

Phil Thien
02-20-2014, 5:46 PM
Yes Phil, the entire vanity is maple. The darker portions have GF Pre-Stain Conditioner, 1 coat GF Vintage Cherry Dye Stain, 1 coat MLC Krystal Sealer. I then top-coated the entire piece with 2 coats of MLC Krystal. Thanks again.

It came out really nice. How close does it look to cherry in real life? Because from the pic it is indistinguishable.

Josh Hulit
02-20-2014, 6:06 PM
It's close, but you can definitely tell the difference. If I had to do it over again, I would talk the client into using cherry. I also did their kitchen cabinets in maple with the same finish, very time consuming... They had seen a picture of a maple writing desk I built with the cherry dye stain so that was what persuaded them. They were very happy with the end result, so that's all that matters.