PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers Router fence micro adjust: a micro-review

Doug Ball
02-18-2014, 7:15 PM
Woodpeckers announced plans for a micro adjust for their superfence and RF3 router fences back in the summer of 2012. It's been a long time coming, but was finally released this January. http://www.woodpeck.com/microadjust.html
I really enjoy it and wonder if any others have used it.

The $99 add-on solves three problems that I had with the original superfence I got two years ago:

1) a tendency to slip under heavy load -- I crafted my own wooden accessory that locked to the track, but it was much less elegant than the micro-adjust.

2) difficulty in making the fence absolutely parallel to the T-track -- this is not essential for routine table routing, but useful when using the coping sled, for example.

3) lack of a micro adjust feature

Although this accessory is not competitive with Incra in terms of versatility and repeatability, it does the simple job of creeping up (1/32" with every rotation of the knob) very very well. It is also far more compact, not requiring a large clearance behind the router fence like Incra models do. Also, coarse movements of the fence are as simple as they always were. A small quibble is the lack of a reference mark on the gnurled knob. I scratched one of my own.

All in all, the micro adjust adds some extra functionality and polish to Woodpecker's router table packages. It's solidly constructed and well-priced at $99. (I'm not affiliated, a shill, etc.)

John Piwaron
02-19-2014, 1:31 PM
It's very nice.

I used a device from Micro Fence a couple of years ago to build my own. It works just like the Woodpeckers one except I use Rockler cam locks at either end and on my router table fence. Fine adjustment and quick clamping.

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2014, 3:23 PM
That's strange I bought mine when they came out maybe middle of last year.

I really like it. I had an Incra positioner with wonder fence but sold it for the SuperFence once I bought a decent DT jig. I like the long length, ability to apply sacrificial fences & hold downs to the extruded fence, pivoting ability, dust collection, and micro adjustment. What I don't like is the micro adjuster hold down bolts come close to falling off the back of table. This is also because the WP table top I bought for some reason has the router opening positioned well to the rear of the table.

Mike

Doug Ball
02-19-2014, 10:04 PM
thanks for the correction, Mike. It was listed as a new product on the website with availability in Jan when first saw it. My woodpecker top has the opening centered in the table, so I haven't run into the issue you mentioned.