PDA

View Full Version : digital protractor

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
02-18-2014, 7:07 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any preferences for a digital protractor. There was a forum from back in 2003 that mentioned Lee Valley and Wixey as the possibilities. Just wondering if the years between then and now have changed the digital protractor options.

Any input would be helpful.

THanks,

Gerry

Myk Rian
02-18-2014, 7:48 PM
I have a General that works very well.

Bob Falk
02-18-2014, 7:59 PM
I have the Wixey and it works great...beat the heck out of it trimming the exterior of my house, but it still works fine. bob

Grant Wilkinson
02-19-2014, 8:58 AM
I've not had good results with the Wixey, and would look at something else if I had to do it again. Wixey does seem to support their products well, though. But, being in Canada, the shipping to return it makes the process to pricey. You would not have that issue.

George Bokros
02-19-2014, 9:10 AM
Starrett, pricey but excellent.

Kevin Groenke
02-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Got a couple of iGaging units a couple of weeks ago. The quality seems ok and while they haven't gotten much use as yet, the angle reading seems accurate as cross checked against an analog protractor. This brand is available in a few blade lengths. I'm buying for students and cannot afford more expensive units to be dropped pocketed, so I look for value in most items and that is the case here.

http://amzn.com/B00AEIB3Y0

Brian W Smith
02-19-2014, 2:38 PM
Keep an eye out for a Brown & Sharpe 496......old school simplicity.

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks to all: Brown & Sharp, Wixey, Starret, iGaging. I'll look into them all. BTW is there a way to notify my e-mail when a question to a forum is answered.

Tom M King
02-26-2014, 2:45 PM
I wouldn't bet against them all coming from the same factory in China. I've found the cheap ones to work really good. I have a number of varieties of the cheap digital micrometers and angle measureres, and each one is a handy thing to have. I'd try cheap first.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140775658827

Myk Rian
02-26-2014, 4:43 PM
Thanks to all: Brown & Sharp, Wixey, Starret, iGaging. I'll look into them all. BTW is there a way to notify my e-mail when a question to a forum is answered.
Then instant e-mail

Al Launier
02-26-2014, 4:59 PM
I just received the iGaging 12" model from Rockler & holy moly is it long. Too long! It's 14" O/A length. Too late to send it back - will have to make the best of it. Haven't really used it yet, but unless someone needs one that long, I would definitely get a shorter model like 6" or 8". Otherwise I'm hoping it'll work well.
PS Came with a dead battery.

Gerry S. Wojtowicz
02-26-2014, 6:52 PM
Myk,

Thanks. Is the e-mail notification good only for this thread only, or for all threads?

Garth Almgren
02-26-2014, 7:04 PM
Either, or both. :)
Under Thread Tools, you can subscribe to an individual thread, or when you're looking at the forum level, you can subscribe to the whole forum under Forum Tools.

I think by default you automatically are subscribed to threads that you start or participate in.