PDA

View Full Version : Universal Introducing the "Next BIG Thing in Laser Processing"?

Jason Hilton
02-18-2014, 2:14 PM
I just received a Universal e-mail blast with the headline "Something BIG is on the Horizon" and will be announced at the ARA International Awards Market next week. Anyone care to speculate what it is? (Hint: Reps, tell us what it is!)

David Somers
02-18-2014, 2:28 PM
I got it too! Pretty exciting! I think it is their new Petawatt CO2 Hobby Laser! Yehaaaaaaa! <grin>

Anxious to hear the details! Anyone going to Las Vegas for the big event? (not me....busy....aside from the fact I can't stand Vegas)

Weston Porter
02-18-2014, 2:38 PM
Hmmm, just when I thought I could finally settle on an Epilog for my first laser. I hope this (new product?) is out of my budget. Indecision is killing me.

Mark Sipes
02-18-2014, 2:51 PM
Weston if this is "The Big Thing" you will settle on an Epilog

https://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/2816/images/Fig-4-small.jpg (https://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/2816/images/Fig-4-big.jpg)

https://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/2816/images/Fig-4-big.jpg

Photo courtesy of Universal Laser Systems.
The new Multi-Wavelength laser from Universal Laser Systems, Scottsdale, AZ, features both fiber and CO2 laser technology.

Universal Laser Systems is also rolling out a Multi-Wavelength laser platform designed to accept three separate, interchangeable wavelength sources: a fiber laser source (1.06µm wavelength) that is well-suited for marking most metals; a CO2 laser source (10.6µm wavelength) with the same energy produced by most standard CO2 lasers and is suitable for engraving materials such as wood, glass, acrylic, anodized aluminum and fabric; and a second CO2 laser source (9.3µm wavelength) which is applicable for efficiently processing a number of organic materials such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a plastic resin and a form of polyester used to manufacture many new products. “I think this is where the market is headed: giving engravers more choices and opportunities in a single machine,” says Hays. James Hays, Marketing and Technical Writer for Universal Laser Systems, Scottsdale, AZ.

Dan Hintz
02-18-2014, 3:52 PM
Can't be it, Mark... that was rolled out last year (or was it the year before?).

Mark Sipes
02-18-2014, 4:13 PM
Dang it your right I should have looked at the date on my Engravers Journal....

So David's guess that the 1.25+ Petawatt CO2 Hobby Laser! is still in the running. Just hope he has a chiller the size of Renton to keep it cool,

Don Corbeil
02-18-2014, 5:42 PM
I also heard about this today from a ULS rep while on the phone with him. He couldn't tell me what it was, either.

I am braving the hoards and am going to the ARA show in vegas, hoping to get a good handle on the different products out there, and with any luck and some hard work, I may walk away with an purchase agreement for a laser. We'll see :cool:

Mark Sipes
02-18-2014, 6:00 PM
Buy the Demo unit and they will ship to you at the end of the show.........you could be up and running in a week..

Don Corbeil
02-18-2014, 6:22 PM
Buy the Demo unit and they will ship to you at the end of the show.........you could be up and running in a week..

like that idea!
better than a couple of months...

Bill Cunningham
02-18-2014, 8:15 PM
like that idea!
better than a couple of months...
I used to be with a company that made it a habit of just buying out the complete booth of a manuf. at a number of trade shows every year. As a result they usually got a fantastic deal. The manuf. in question, just pulled everything out of their cabinets and display units, and we packed everything up for shipment back to our shop..They saved a bunch, we saved a bunch. So, buying the display units will always get you a good deal. Just from the fact the manuf. doesn't have to pack it up and take it home..

Dave Sheldrake
02-18-2014, 9:43 PM
I'm hearing Galvos.....

Bryan Rocker
02-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm I suppose I can wait another week or so....

BTW does the 50% retail price for used CO2 laser apply like it does to our other cast iron acquisitions?

Dan Hintz
02-19-2014, 6:11 AM
Hmmmm I suppose I can wait another week or so....

BTW does the 50% retail price for used CO2 laser apply like it does to our other cast iron acquisitions?

No... 10, maybe 20% off, if you're a good boy.

David Somers
02-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, ULS sent me 2, countem, 2 more notices today about something BIG coming at ARA!! The hype has me positively vibrating!!

You folks who are going to Vegas....be sure you tell us what it is as soon as you hear!!!
Will it be the Petawatt Hobby Laser I speculated about?
Or the new combo Laser Cutter/Laser Engraver/Laser Hair Removal system to further expand our business ranges?
Or the new 5 axis CNC that uses a laser head instead of a router!!!

All so exciting!!! I am all aquiver!!

Dave

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2014, 1:11 PM
I bet it will be an on/off switch on the front of the machine rather than on the back so you will no longer have to be a contortionist to reach it.

Scott Shepherd
02-21-2014, 1:56 PM
My guess is a bigger table. I don't see any software side of things as being labeled as "BIG" in their advertising, but I could be wrong.

Universal is a big laser company and they have their irons in so many fires, it's hard to guess. They've been doing a lot of work in the ease of use area of the software, but I'm not sure what they could do to be announcing a big new development in that area.

I'm voting it's a larger table machine.

Dave Sheldrake
02-21-2014, 2:31 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be overhyped or something already available just not from ULS such as a Galvo unit or say 2m x 1m bed sizes.

What may appear big for ULS may not be on the radar for industrial lasers. Overhype tends to lead to big furrors about things that aren't really that great based on the willingness for people to repeat what they perceive as *big* news.

Take HPDFO for example, well known as available from ULS but based on technology that has been around for many years and achievable for about 1/10th of the cost.

I have a gut feeling it's all going to be rather a let down.

cheers

Dave

Scott Shepherd
02-21-2014, 2:57 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be overhyped or something already available just not from ULS such as a Galvo unit or say 2m x 1m bed sizes.

What may appear big for ULS may not be on the radar for industrial lasers. Overhype tends to lead to big furrors about things that aren't really that great based on the willingness for people to repeat what they perceive as *big* news.

Take HPDFO for example, well known as available from ULS but based on technology that has been around for many years and achievable for about 1/10th of the cost.

I have a gut feeling it's all going to be rather a let down.

cheers

Dave

Could be. I thought Universal had been making galvo heads for a long time. However, in searching their website for Galvo, I can't get anything. I don't know, I don't see people moving to the Galvo market. I've asked about it a number of times and I've never once heard any laser company say "We're working hard on Galvo's". It seems like some people offer them, but no one's excited to sell them. I called my sales rep about a year ago and told him I wanted to see one. He told me in 5 states, he had 1 customer that had one and we could go see it, but it was in an industrial application, marking parts, so it wouldn't be much to see.

If that's the market penetration of them, I'd be really surprised if anyone is trying to bring galvos to the mainstream. Should be interesting!

Dave Sheldrake
02-21-2014, 3:10 PM
Galvo's have dropped a lot in price of the last year and are now at the "second machine" kind of price, China is doing more and more of them so it's possible I guess.

Really big news was if they had an adjustable wavelength system, and while technically possible it would be firmly in the big industrial machine price range. The problem I can see with the smaller laser companies (ULS/Trotech/Epilog etc) is as prices for advances of theirs force machine cost up thy are fast approaching the small industrial machine price without many of the benefits. Yamazaki do lease industrials now as do many others at $3,000 a month so it's a hard price point to meet.

cheers

Dave

David Somers
02-21-2014, 3:19 PM
Oh you guys! Taking all the fun out of the hype! Where is your sense of hope and expectation!!!! ULS did use all caps in the word BIG in their email after all! They wouldn't let us down after that would they??? <grin>

I tell you. A Petawatt hobby laser!! Won't you all feel sheepish when the first Sawmillcreeker reports back from ARA on that!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!! Cheers!

Dave

Dan Hintz
02-21-2014, 3:21 PM
I bet it will be an on/off switch on the front of the machine rather than on the back so you will no longer have to be a contortionist to reach it.

Hah!

Paul Phillips
02-21-2014, 5:50 PM
How about a gantry mounted Galvo/standard head Hybrid? Switch between Galvo head or standard head!

Bert Kemp
02-21-2014, 6:10 PM
I wonder if I can find out if I take a ride over to their plant. Tell Them I'm interested in their newest and biggest. I'm like a 30 min bike ride from Universal Laser, been by their many times never stopped cause I know I can't afford one but hey they don't know that right. LOL