PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector motor mounted on wall

Justin Jump
02-18-2014, 1:57 PM
Does anyone see an issue with mounting my typical 2HP Shop Fox bag style dust collector motor on a wall instead of a base?

Basically, what I want to do is wall mount the motor so the intake is pointing straight up, motor pointing down, and the output to the bag is perpendicular.

I am not doing this for any sort of airflow improvement, but more for aesthetics, and I want to make the dust collector permanent location permanent, but it does allow me to remove a 90 degree elbow by pointing the intake up.

The area of the garage where the DC sits, has a sloped floor (towards the drain), and the DC sits unlevel. I want to build a base for the bags that is level, and mount the motor to the wall as described above.

THX

JJ in Pittsburgh

Jason Beam
02-18-2014, 4:26 PM
It could be very dangerous - it depends on how your impeller is affixed to the shaft of the motor. A simple set screw from the side may come loose and allow the impeller to drop. There are some blowers with a much more secure mount (like a bolt into the shaft of the motor axis, or through pins).

I have mine mounted to the wall, sideways as the manufacturer intended, and it's been fine there.

Lornie McCullough
02-18-2014, 4:36 PM
Consider adding rubber mounts or isolating mounts to keep the motor noise from potentially resonating throughout the shop.

Lornie

Dennis Nagle
02-18-2014, 5:42 PM
I mounted mine to the wall with the inlet pointing down and the outlet going through the wall to the outside. Under it, I have a 55 gal barrel with the ventury elbows on top. All the big stuff falls into the barrel and the dust goes outside. I have not had any problems.