PDA

View Full Version : New router table and fence

scott spencer
06-17-2005, 10:31 AM
...just a kid with a camera here! :)

Here's a couple of pics of the most recent addition in my shop. The router table is done, but I'm still wrapping up DC and a couple of minor details on the cabinet and fence. The fence is currently held in place with two large rare earth magnets. Holding power is "good" at this point, but I'm not comfortable that "good" is good enough considering what's a stake. I'll add two more and if that's still not enough, I'll probably abandon the magnet idea and go back to something more traditional.

Mike Wilkins
06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Mikey likes it.
I am curious. What kind of fence is this?? Looks like you swiped the fences off of a Euro styled shaper. This would be a great set-up for attaching feather boards/hold downs. Let us inquiring minds know. Thanks.

Jason Tuinstra
06-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Look's great! It's always a nerve racking event cutting into the the table saw extention. But you did a great job. Have fun.

scott spencer
06-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Mikey likes it.
I am curious. What kind of fence is this?? Looks like you swiped the fences off of a Euro styled shaper. This would be a great set-up for attaching feather boards/hold downs. Let us inquiring minds know. Thanks.

Hey Mikey! ...glad you like it! I swiped the fence off the crosscut fence from my 22124 and cut it down a bit. One piece wasn't quite enough, so I asked the store manager for a second one as compensation for having to assemble two saws and disassemble and repack the first one....he agreed, and you're looking at the result. There was just about enough left over from each piece to make a miter sled...you can probably catch a glimpse of that work-in-progress in the background behind the saw fence.

Jeremy Gibson
06-17-2005, 4:00 PM
Scott, that looks great! From the pic it looks like you made the side extension table out of 3/4" mellamine covered particle board with a hardwood box frame. I just finished a side table out of that material. If this is correct, did you use cross-braces near the router insert cutout and under the miter slot? A pic from below would be most helpful to me.

Thanks!!

Todd Davidson
06-17-2005, 4:28 PM
Great job Scott. Is the cabinet below attached? If so, were casters added as to allow mobility (or are you stationary)?

scott spencer
06-17-2005, 4:43 PM
Scott, that looks great! From the pic it looks like you made the side extension table out of 3/4" mellamine covered particle board with a hardwood box frame. I just finished a side table out of that material. If this is correct, did you use cross-braces near the router insert cutout and under the miter slot? A pic from below would be most helpful to me.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Jeremy - The RT is built into the 12" laminated extension table that came with the saw. I added the 3/4 miter slot and another 4" piece of melamine at the end. It's only braced on the perimeter with roughly 1x2's, but I did add a piece of 1/2" plywood underneath before I cut the hole so that offers some support....I'll see about a pick, but I can't load them from here....have to do it at work.

Todd - The cabinet is a work-in-progress. It's sitting on top of some appliance rollers that only add about an inch of height. The back is completely removable so it can roll out without taking out the router, but it's probably easier to remove the router than the back! I'll be adding more storage to it soon.

Corey Hallagan
06-17-2005, 6:46 PM
That looks great Scott. Nice work. With me being an old Muscle Car fan I have to ask.... what's under the hood?

Corey

scott spencer
06-17-2005, 9:04 PM
That looks great Scott. Nice work. With me being an old Muscle Car fan I have to ask.... what's under the hood?

Corey Freud FT2000E and a couple of empty boxes...:D

Tom Hood
06-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Scott-

Beautiful job. I have the 22124 with limited space. Your setup is agreat inspiration. Does the cabinet door for the saw clear the router. I have a strong klutz gene and frequently drop the arbor nut while changing blades. I find myslef opening the door more than I would like.
Great idea nicely done.

Tom

scott spencer
06-18-2005, 6:07 AM
Scott-

Beautiful job. I have the 22124 with limited space. Your setup is agreat inspiration. Does the cabinet door for the saw clear the router. I have a strong klutz gene and frequently drop the arbor nut while changing blades. I find myslef opening the door more than I would like.
Great idea nicely done.

Tom

Hi Tom...thanks. No, the router cabinet impedes the opening of the motor door, but the router cabinet rolls out of the way pretty easily. Next time you're at HF, grab a telescoping rare earth magnet to retrieve your arbor nut....~$1.99. When I get the cabinet and DC all finished, and get the shop more cleaned up, I'll try to take some pics of the cabinet.

Kent Cori
06-19-2005, 1:43 PM
Wow!! Your new router table extension looks great Scott. Terrrific work.