PDA

View Full Version : Which Windows?

Patrick Licata
02-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Hello all,Time for a new computer and the question is... Windows 7 or 8 ???I'm using Corel X3 and X6 (baby steps here people. haha) with Epilog Mini laser. Thanks for your input, Patrick

Gary Hair
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
If your laser has a driver that is compatible with Win 8 - 64 bit, then I'd suggest you go that way. Win 8 is many times faster than anything previous - when you have the right computer running it. I have two HP Envy, both i7, 32gb ram, fast graphics card, optimized for Win 8 - they boot up in less than 45 seconds and Corel is open in about 10 seconds. If you don't want to spend too much for a computer then stick with Win 7. FYI - both of the HP's ran about $900 each at Costco, not too much but definitely not cheap.

Mike Null
02-18-2014, 6:32 PM
I have to buy a new pc too.
After the horror stories I heard from everybody but Gary I bought an upgrade to 8.1 for my lightly used laptop. I just wanted to acclimate myself before making the purchase decision. I was surprised that I like it and will be buying 8.1 pro for my shop.

Bob A Miller
02-18-2014, 6:58 PM
I retired out of the computer industry a short while ago. Used every windows version from 3.1 up.. Was always reluctant to move to windows 8 too. Just finished upgrading my parents new pc. 8.1 is definately better then 8. Like Gary & Mike have said it shouldn't be anything to fear & offers good performance.... As long as you have the right drivers, It for the most part is windows 7 tools moved around. I can't speak for lasercut drivers or other software running Chinese boards... (my controller pc still runs XP)

Only word of warning I would pass on is to read about upgrading your email if this isn't a new pc.