PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Height

Larry Fox
02-18-2014, 8:50 AM
Some might remember the thread I posted a while back about eliminating some high-frequency vibration from my table saw (thread below). I ordered the feet recommended in that thread and installed them but it raised the height of the saw significantly and I am interested in some opinions from people who work on a higher saw. I am 5' 9" (ish) and the top of the saw now sits at about 35". Anyone else work with their saw that high or is there a reason I am not thinking of why saws are typically not that high?

Lowering it will involve removing the existing feet and having my machinist make some new (lower profile) ones and keeping it at the 35" height will involve some significant reworking of my out-feed table so neither option is a "try for free to see if you like it" proposition which is why I am soliciting some informed opinions.

Thanks in advance for your time

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210686-Tablesaw-mounting-to-reduce-vibration

Alan Bienlein
02-18-2014, 9:25 AM
Mine is at 36" along with every other flat surface and tool surface in my shop. It just makes life soooo much easier!

nicholas mitchell
02-18-2014, 9:26 AM
I thought 35" was standard height? I'm 6'3" so I have all my tools and benches etc higher than most.

Clay Crocker
02-18-2014, 9:58 AM
Mine is 37-1/2", I like the extra height since I'm 6'3".

Jeff Duncan
02-18-2014, 9:59 AM
My saws sit at 33-1/2" which is probably about average for table saws. I like the saw to be low as I feel I have better control over the stock. However my shaper sits at 37" high and I find them to be OK as well….actually have them on blocks as I prefer them a bit higher. I'm closer to 6' -3" though so that makes a difference as well. So I guess the answer is it's too high if you think it's too high?

Also curious if the vibration was eliminated by the feet? If so then it's probably worth keeping them. If not, well then it's an easy decision;) Of course they also make thin rubber sheets to isolate machines from the floor as well. I was given some by another woodworker when he closed his shop and I think they're only something like 3/8" thick. Might be a better solution if the height doesn't work out for you?

good luck,
Jeffd

Mark Blatter
02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Mine is at 36" along with every other flat surface and tool surface in my shop. It just makes life soooo much easier!

I have debated this many times and thought it would work out, but for a couple of tools. My router table and work bench both seem to be more useful at about 41" instead of 36". Yet the thoughts of setting my table saw at 41" seems unwise. However, I can certainly see moving it to 36".

Bill Huber
02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I am 5"9" and here is my set up.

Table saw - 37"
Router table - 41"
Band Saw - 46"
Bench - 40"
Ridgid Sander - 45"
Drum Sander - 35"
Drill Press - 45" for general work.

These all work very well for me.

Larry Fox
02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate the time. I think I am leaning towards giving it a shot higher and raising the out-feed table.

Jeff - I don't know if the feet eliminate the vibration yet as I just rough-installed them yesterday and it was too cold out in the shop to spend much time out there. Supposed to warm up around here a bit this week so I am hopeful I will be able to level it and fire it up one night this week.

scott vroom
02-18-2014, 10:16 AM
I suppose you could lower the tool, or raise the floor with these:

Larry Fox
02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
I suppose you could lower the tool, or raise the floor with these:

Now that's funny!

glenn bradley
02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I am in the 35-36" category. I had to build a stand for my Saw Stop to raise it up to the level of other surfaces in the shop.

Charles Coolidge
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Table saws need to be raised above kick back sensitive organs.

Andrew Joiner
02-18-2014, 12:44 PM
My shop is the same. I like to make life easy, too.

Dan Hulbert
02-18-2014, 2:04 PM
While I'm 5'4", I find the 36" standard height for all flat surfaces in my shop to work great. I like the flexibility to use assembly tables for outfeed tables when needed. I once had a shop so small, I had to use my workbench for outfeed. Picking a standard height for all gets my vote!

David Hostetler
02-18-2014, 5:11 PM
I am 6' 0" and my table saw, a Ryobi BT3100 has a table height of 38.5" which works great for me. My benches are 38-3/8". Kind of. I have the mortiser bench just a hair higher to make the mortiser table line up exactly with the miter saw table... It's all so that outfeed and cross support work together...

Brian W Smith
02-18-2014, 5:29 PM
Most everything here is 37 1/2.And I'm not that tall,5-10.....and shrinking,haha.