PDA

View Full Version : My first clock

scott spencer
06-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Here's a couple of pics of a clock I made for my brother's wedding last week (sorry about the pic quality). The face is made of QS red oak that the bride's father gave me last summer that he actually logged from his property along time ago. The corners of the face are cherry and black walnut....their purpose was to cover a major screw up in the fluting of one of the face pieces....I kinda like it now! :o

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Scott.....my imagination's pretty good :rolleyes: ......I think it would look nice :rolleyes: .....A photo would be better! ;) :rolleyes: :D Oops.....while I was typing you posted the photos........I like it!

Question....is that a real mechanical mechanism or is it electric? Great work by the way!

What recovery?.........I don't see one......

scott spencer
06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi Ken...yeah, I had some troubles with the pics that I was fixing while you were typing!

The mechanism is quartz with a mechanical bell chime (clockparts.com). After standing in 92F heat at 80% humidity in full sun wearing a heavy "ironwear" black tuxedo with a full vest for an hour, I feel no guilt whatsoever about choosing the quartz movement over a mechanical one! :D ...honestly, he could care less and we couldn't spring for the real movement anyway....well, not and buy that new leather chair to match the ottoman too! ;)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Scott,

Another great looking project! That clock will look great no matter where it is!

Tom Pritchard
06-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Beautiful clock Scott! Your crafstmanship really showed in the use of those corners to cover a boo-boo! I;m sure your brother and sister-in-law will treasure it for years to come.

BTW, that's a great idea for a wedding gift!

Chris Barton
06-17-2005, 1:13 PM
Hiya Scott,

Great work! But, if you want to know what seperates truely great and talented wood workers from the rest of the pack, and I got this from a pro, it's the ability to fix your mistakes so that you are the only one that knows they exist. Sounds like you did just that!

Chris

Norman Hitt
06-17-2005, 2:55 PM
Scott, that is Very Nice, and I'm glad you made the Boo Boo, because I think the "FIX" really added to the looks of the clock. As I've said before, if it wasn't for my mistakes a lot of my projects would be missing some of their most outstanding features. :D I've Never figured out why I can't think of the nice Design features to start with, instead of having to correct a screw-up and then taking "Artistic License" to think of a nice cover up feature.

Corey Hallagan
06-17-2005, 9:04 PM
Very nice Scott, I think it looks great!

Corey

Bruce Page
06-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Scott, that's a great looking mantel clock. I really like the fluting!

Dave Brandt
06-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Nice job Scott! Chris is right. I got the same advice from an old Italian cabinetmaker I know. He said you can't possibly be a craftsman if you don't know what a dutchman is. Nice application of one, but keep it to yourself next time. Keep repeating, it's a design element....