PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Piece of Equipment

Christopher Saliba
02-18-2014, 8:46 AM
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, if not please let me know know where to post.

I have received several vintage/older tools from my grandfather including a 1950's Delta Rockwell jointer and an older Craftsman bandsaw. I have restored both of these tools and use them regularly. I just received this picture of the pulley system that I believe was part of the tool collection he used. I am not certain what it is used for; there are two pulleys that are very different in diameter and has the castings of "Superior" and "P42" and "Made is U.S.A.". the difference in pulley size could have been used as a type of speed adjustment but I don't think that is it. The empty shaft may have been for grinding or sanding I really have no solid ideas. Any help would be useful to identify this piece and its purpose.

david brum
02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
It looks like you've got a heavy duty bench mandrel similar to THIS (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5548). It's basically a grinder or buffer without the integrated motor. I think your first idea that it was used as a speed reducer sounds right. Maybe it was used for slowing down a lathe or band saw?

If the bearings or bushings are in good shape, it could be handy to have around if you like to tinker with machines.

Myk Rian
02-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Grinder/buffer mandrel. The tables are missing.
Not a bad idea using it as a speed reducer.

Jim Matthews
02-18-2014, 7:16 PM
+1 on it set as a speed reducer.

It's the same idea behind bicycle gears -
little one in the front turns fast,
big one in the back turns slow.

"Granny gear" for climbing.

Ronald Blue
02-18-2014, 7:50 PM
It definitely started life as a grinder/buffer arbor. It looks like it had the large pulley added to make it a speed reducer as was also suggested. As Myk says the tool rests are missing but the mounts are there and this predates the integral motor bench and pedestal grinder. It would have had a grinding wheel and a wire wheel possibly or two different grinding wheels or most anything else that would fit. The one we had was equipped with a wide wheel with an angle on each side and we used it to sharpen the sickle on a sickle bar mower. The other end was a regular grinding wheel.