PDA

View Full Version : 50w chinese yag laser start up issues

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 6:51 AM
Hi,
I picked up one unused yag and trying to start , the computer comes on and everything works fine, don't know how to start marking, can some one help me with instructions, I am new to this, not getting much help from the CX China

Sam

Joe Hillmann
02-18-2014, 9:58 AM
Can you give us more information about the laser? Brand? Or maker?

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
It is 50 w, only has a plate with CX on it, it looked similar to engravers network' s yag-50dp 50 w galvo , thought would get some help, what I understand the ez cad software controls the machine but the seller has never used the the machine but it is brand new trying to start

Dave Sheldrake
02-18-2014, 10:46 AM
"Brand new , never used one careful owner" doesn't usually end well with YAG's Sam.

Galvo systems don't like to be miss-treated so finding out the exact make is essential before going too far with it all.

any of these look familiar?

http://www.ecpush.com/hot-products/lamp-pump-solid-laser-marker-cx-yag-m50.html

cheers

Dave

Joe Hillmann
02-18-2014, 11:21 AM
There are not many galvo yag owners on this forum so I doubt anyone here will have that same system to give you exact information. Here is some general info that may get you started.

At this point have do you even have everything connected?

From the back of the computer cabinet there should be a 230volt plug in cable that plugs into the wall. There should be one or two cables that go from the computer cabinet to the laser head. One cable that goes from the computer to the chiller and two water lines that go from the chiller to the laser head. There also may be a cable going to a foot peddle and a few safety bypass wires. Leave the safety bypass wires unconnected at this point.

The chiller should be filled with distilled water.

With everything hooked up and plugged the first thing to do would be to get the chiller up and running. To start it their may be a key switch or a large start button or a combination of the two. Once you get the chiller running the temp should already be set somewhere between 22 and 27 degrees C. Let it sit and idle until it get up to temp or cools down to temp. (this may take only a few minutes or over a half hour)

Once the chiller is running and at temp you would probably turn on your redlight preview, laser, scan and Q power switches. (some of these switches may be in the software and should turn themselves on.

Then you would open up your program and import an image. I would suggest creating a simple vector square in coraldraw and save it as an: ai file, a plt, a svg, a dfx, a dwg, and a windows metafile. Then try importing them one at a time to find out which one your laser gets along with. Once you get a file imported you set your laser speed in the software and your laser power either in the software or with a knob in the computer cabinet. Then you should be able to mark the part.

To mark it try hitting F10 or looking for an icon that looks like a laserbeam, a red star, a lightening strike or a printer and that should get you to the point of being able to hit the mark button in the software to make it mark.

Once you get it working you can then play with fill and more complex designs and text.

Hopefully you know the focal length of your lens so you can focus if not just keep moving the parts up and down until you find the spot it has the most power.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE BEAM, YOU NEED SPECIAL GLASSES RATED FOR BLOCKING THE 1064 NM WAVELENGTH OF THE YAG. THEY WILL COST OVER $100 FOR A PAIR. MAKE SURE THEY ARE FOR A YAG AT 1064 NOT A CO2 AT 10640 WHICH CAN BE BLOCKED WITH ANY OLD SAFETY GLASSES.

If you want a cheap item to practice on you can use a sheet of paper that has been printed black with a b&w laser printer. If you keep the power on the engraver low the beam will burn through the toner but not the paper.

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks , this would help me, you guys are very helpful

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Dave ,

None from the list look like it is changzin laser, CX D's, 50 w, it has some ez cad

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Where can get the yag laser safety glass? From?

Joe Hillmann
02-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Where can get the yag laser safety glass? From?

Do a search for 1064 glasses. The cheapest ones will bee about $80 and are orange tinted so if you are working on products that you have to be able to tell the difference between colors they can be a pain in the butt. The better ones are almost clear and cost around $200.

You can run it without the glasses just look away from it and away from anything that can reflect it to your eyes. Or put some type of non see through guard around it.

Joe Hillmann
02-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Also your laser doesn't have a port for hooking up an exhaust system but you really should have an exhaust run to it to suck out the smoke it produces, both to protect you and your lens.

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks again, I will have to check the connections I made, looks like the safety is connected but the foot pedal is not , don't know where to, do I have to adjust the beam or is it auto? How do we move the x,y axis ? Do you have some video or some PDF somewhere? Which can help me, I started another co2 from scratch from the same manufacturer but they are more Chinese friendly and not many machines around but yag seem to be tough

Joe Hillmann
02-18-2014, 12:46 PM
The foot skip the foot peddle for now. Can you put up a picture of the safety connections(I doubt it is a safety, I think it may be a bypass that allows it to run without the covers on the laser tube)

As far as the xy goes, does it have a motorized xy? Can you put up pictures? My Chinese yag only has a manual xyz table and the cnc part of the xy is in the galvo head. Either way you can run it without worrying about the xy until you at least get it running.

I think you will get more help if you can post lots of pictures of the connections, switches, controls and a couple screen shots of the software. All the information I am giving you is biased off my hans laser which should be kind of similar.

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 1:26 PM
Will do by tomorrow, yes it is brushless motor for both x and y and the sales guy from China wait is auto focus and I have to use EZ cad software to operate the machine, will check tonight and shoot some pictures, thanks Sam

Dan Hintz
02-18-2014, 3:48 PM
I'm confused... is it a galvo or an X/Y gantry table type of unit? I know combo units exist, but...

Joe Hillmann
02-18-2014, 4:35 PM
I'm confused... is it a galvo or an X/Y gantry table type of unit? I know combo units exist, but...

I am assuming it is a galvo head laser that has an xy table on it. That gives a larger engraving area than just a glavo head. It is a bit more complicated than this but basically if you want to engrave an area larger than the lens allows the software will break up the engraving. When you start engraving the bed will sit still and the head will engrave a square area of the artwork. Once the engraving is done the xy table will move over to a new spot and the galvo head will engrave again. It will keep doing that until it is done, kind of like stitching a quilt.

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 5:11 PM
Will post some pictures by tomorrow

Sam Ramsey
02-18-2014, 9:49 PM
I have some pictures but need some help to load please or I can send it to an email

Joe Hillmann
02-19-2014, 12:10 PM
I looked at the photos you sent, they weren't as helpful as I had hoped. Are there any switches or knobs inside the cabinet below the computer? If so can you send me a clear photo of that.

At this point it looks like you have most of it hooked up. Have you tried turning it on yet?

Sam Ramsey
02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
No , not yet, I only turned the computer on, tried couple of time skyping China but in vain, will send you the front picture I think the pictures were not that great

Thanks for help

Sam Ramsey
02-19-2014, 4:26 PM
I sent you the front side diagram will this help?
Thanks

Sam Ramsey
02-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Hi Joe,
Did you have time to see the front picture I sent? Any hope of reviving this?

Joe Hillmann
02-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Can you send it again? I got the email but there were no attachments.

Sam Ramsey
02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Just sent

Thanks

Joe Hillmann
02-20-2014, 12:22 PM
have you figured out how to get the chiller running yet?

Sam Ramsey
02-20-2014, 12:31 PM
No, I just opened the ez cad software, it has x,y movement and it is like the vinyl cutter graphic software, tells the machine no clue yet I know when I turn the power on I should be able to turn the chiller on but the place I am in is nor heated well so wiring for mercury to rise a bit
Does it look similar to the one you have?

Thanks

Joe Hillmann
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
No, mine has quite a different set up but I assume they work nearly the same except yours has an xy table and mine doesn't. Have you tried contacting the company that made it again to maybe get some help?

Sam Ramsey
02-20-2014, 1:06 PM
No, they say there are videos somewhere and they are looking for this was about two weeks ago, may be you can send me your instructions I can use any info will be beneficial thanks

Sam Ramsey
02-24-2014, 4:12 PM
Hi Joe,
The chiller comes on but can I have some of your instructions which can help me to understand the sequence

Thanks
Sam

Sam Ramsey
03-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi Joe,

The Chinese have let me down, can you email me the pages please , I have to do it myself