PDA

View Full Version : Shabby Chic Birdhouses...???

James Combs
02-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Got an order for 20 ornamental birdhouses for next Christmas. The customer initially said she wanted them solid white but a few emails later she is asking for white but in "Shabby Chic". I got a vague idea of what SC is but typically it is done on a much larger scale and includes such things as stressing, antiquing etc. I told her I would send her some photos of a few samples, here is what I sent her.

Text of the email I included to her:
"Well here are 3 examples, I would say that they are pretty "shabby" but I am not so sure about the "chic" part. Actually Number 1
is a shabby that I can hold the price on, it is simply a piece of branch wood that still has the bark on it. Also note the knot. Can't really say that it is very "chic" though.

Numbers 2 and 3
have two coats of paint and 2 has "stressing" dings all over the bottom although the photo doesn't do them justice. Number 2 has a blue "wash" after the white paint, turned out not too bad, number 3 has a pink under-coat then lightly/random sanding of some of the white away. I think it turned out the best. All of that is the good news, the bad news is I would need an extra $1.50 each for any done like number 2 or 3.

Number4 just shows a "pre-paint", I am going to do a blue under coat on it to verify number 3."

So what do you think, do any of them(except 4) make you think of shabby chic.:rolleyes:

Dan Valleskey
02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Sorry, JD, I have been called 'shabby' enough that I should know a little about that. But no one ever calls me 'chic'! Matter of fact, you might have trouble with your question, you have a bunch of old dusty woodworkers here ya know!

I am glad I'm not in your shoes, you might be in a no-win situation here.

Good luck with it! hey- I might have to try some of that branch stuff. Gotta love free wood.

Sam Whit
02-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Mrs. Whit uses Annie Sloan products to get the shabby chic look on her projects. It's all the rage these days.

Jamie Donaldson
02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Sam, I had to search for the Annie Sloan paint you referenced, and out here in the country I would call that product "whitewash!"

Tom Collins
02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
James, I don't know anything about SC but was wondering if you might accomplish the look you are looking for if you used a whitewash over spalted wood or if you have a little tearout, work a darker color into the tearout then put the whitewash over it.

TomC

Bruce Pratt
02-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Check out "milk paints". General Finishes has a whole line of them, as do several other manufacturers. Also check out "milk paint" on Youtube for examples of use.

James Combs
02-23-2014, 1:58 PM
Sorry, JD, I have been called 'shabby' enough that I should know a little about that. But no one ever calls me 'chic'! Matter of fact, you might have trouble with your question, you have a bunch of old dusty woodworkers here ya know!
I am glad I'm not in your shoes, you might be in a no-win situation here.
Good luck with it! hey- I might have to try some of that branch stuff. Gotta love free wood.
Hi Dan, I am sure there is a high percentage of "more mature" folks that spin around in this vortex but I also am sure that there are some younger vortex riders as well.;) As for the branch stuff, I got an email from her yesterday and that is the style she chose, go figure. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Whit uses Annie Sloan products to get the shabby chic look on her projects. It's all the rage these days.
Sam, thanks for the info. I checked it out and it looks like the way to go, if I get more requests for SC I will have to check further into it.

Sam, I had to search for the Annie Sloan paint you referenced, and out here in the country I would call that product "whitewash!"
Agree Jamie that yes it would appear to look a lot like white wash but the info did say it was paint.

James, I don't know anything about SC but was wondering if you might accomplish the look you are looking for if you used a whitewash over spalted wood or if you have a little tearout, work a darker color into the tearout then put the whitewash over it.
TomC
Thanks for the suggestion Tom. That's pretty much the same technique I used but with a different medium. I used what I had and that was wood stain and white acrylic paint.

Check out "milk paints". General Finishes has a whole line of them, as do several other manufacturers. Also check out "milk paint" on Youtube for examples of use.
Thanks Bruce for the advice, I was already familiar with milk paints, just don't have any. I think they would be a cheaper reverential to the Annie Sloan pains mentioned above.